[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Multimeter help.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
This is the new Multimeter as seen in the photo I picked up.
I have a lot of AC adapters I need to test.
Can Anyone walk me through this?
>>
Either this Multimeter is fucked or I need to go back to grade school.
>>
>>938487
plug the adapter into a power socket

set the meter to dc

red touch outer

black touch inside

read meter

done
>>
>>938490
There is a 'DC' setting on each main setting by pressing 'select' ie: mA has a 'DC' setting as does V.
What one should I be selecting?
>>
>>938494
test both

you should be getting 9v and 300mA from the label of your adapter, you need to see if they are correct, so do both and see both numbers
>>
>>938495
Testing current that way would be a dead short...
>>
>>938495
Go troll somewhere else.

>>938494
Volts only.
>>
>>938495
Remove Thyself.

>>938494
Just stick it on Volts and it's smooth sailing from there, since it's Auto ranging.
>>
>>938494
>>938502
Also, keep in mind that a Negative number (ie.: -9V) simply means you've reversed the polarity of your probes, the voltage is still a proper 9V
>>
Also it might not necessarily read exactly 9v, some power lumps need to have a load connected to output the correct voltage.
>>
OP here.
Thanks for clearing that up.
No luck with the original one pictured but I am now testing a dc 9V adapter and it is consistently reading higher around 18.63. Is this normal or something to be concerned about?
>>
>>938511
it is normal if the meter is working
>>
>>938514
Even if the wall adapter is unregulated?
>>
File: meanies coming.jpg (43 KB, 736x447) Image search: [Google]
meanies coming.jpg
43 KB, 736x447
>>938487
if only there was some kind of manual, that the owner of the DMM could use to figure out how to do this... an "owners manual" if you will.

rtfm
>>
>>938585
If only DIY would step up and answer basic questions.
>>
>>938593
that's what the manual is for.
>>
>>938593
register at www.att.jobs
once you're registered, you now have access to ATT university.

That will teach you what you need to know about multimeters.
>>
File: do you understand.jpg (141 KB, 1232x719) Image search: [Google]
do you understand.jpg
141 KB, 1232x719
>>938593
here derpington:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+use+a+dmm
>>
File: DIYBingoChecked.jpg (120 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
DIYBingoChecked.jpg
120 KB, 600x600
>>938487
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.