[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY vr headset kinda
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: vr.jpg (482 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
vr.jpg
482 KB, 1600x1200
Hey /guys/
I got some basic experience in building stuff and handling tools and electronics etc. Now i wanna make my own VR Headsedt. It shouldnt be cheap like pic related, but include headphones, a small mic and yeah, a screen (or however you want to call it).
The screen will be divided in 2 parts by some software and i'll buidl a seperation between those two that i can see the 2 parts seperately. Now my problem is: I need a ca. 4.5-6.5 inch screen (i guess, havent figured that out yet) that is quite affordable. It should have HDMI/VGA/DVI compability, if you got any other ideas of running something like that from a pc, enlighten my. Then i somehow need to buy the right lenses. Here is where i havent found out much. I guess i should buy lenses with a focus point far enough to see the screen right. Have any of you suggestions where it comes to screen or lenses of waht i should buy? I dont wanna use a phone, because of latency and my s3 got a screen crack. And btw, i dont give a shit about this 360 view angle stuff. I just want it as a simple PC screen.
>>
>>938399
screens in many of the major VR headsets are indeed cell phone screens. you should start with a phone with high ppi and remove the screen and figure out how convert its input into HDMI

http://www.phoneppi.com/screen-resolution-and-ppi-of-mobile-phones.html

btw you are better off using a samsung phone with samsung vr because its got its own app store, you can still use it as a phone, and its supported by occulus devs
>>
>>938399
Search for google cardboard, IIRC some guides that talk about it link to lenses on amazon.
>>
>>938399
there is a alibaba cardboard version for 2.99$ if the normal 20$ cardboard is too expensive (lol but i imagine if 20$ is too expensive for you, your project is DOA)
>>
>>938507
The thing is i dont realy got a phone to operate it. Right now im thinking about buying some cheap 30 buck vr googles and put a 5 inch screen into it.
>>
>>938538
you wont have head tracking which is a huge thing.

you really need to start with a phone or phone display or its gonna be garbage
>>
http://www.roadtovr.com/build-your-own-diy-oculus-rift-guide/

you can DIY a rift-alike without too much trouble

>I just want it as a simple PC screen
Any screen you buy is gonna be way too small for a decent desktop resolution of any kind, plus, I don't think much exists in the way of virtual monitor software.
>>
>>938407
Not true.

Cell phone screens are not good enough to support high end VR.
>>
>>938399
If you have a phone with an internal gyro (not all of them do) you can use trinus VR and google cardboard
trinusvr.com
you can get a good plastic cardboard enclosure or you can just get the plans to build your own on googles cardboard website
it works wirelessly but you really would want to run a wired connection.
>>
>>938703
You are a fucking idiot and you don't know shit rift dk2 literally has a Samsung screen in it. You know what just kill yourself because op isn't building a high end anything because this is a thread asking how to frame a house out of pallet wood and imitation crab meat. Open is a kid and has no clue how vr works and neither do you, piece of shit
>>
>>938407
Most phones use DSI, you can use this to get HDMI onto them:
http://hackaday.com/2014/11/02/using-cell-phone-screens-with-any-hdmi-interface/
>>
>>938542
Head tracking is as easy as an arduino and a 9 axis board.
There are full dev boards you can just load the rift's firmware onto.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.