[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /diy/ So I recently made the acquisition of pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: panel.jpg (167 KB, 800x405) Image search: [Google]
panel.jpg
167 KB, 800x405
Hello /diy/

So I recently made the acquisition of pic related, which is an adapter for a 9.7" LCD panel.

It needs 5V 1.37A so I'm currently using a 2A USB phone charger to power it since I read 3.0 USB deliver up to 0.9A and 2.0 USB 0.5A

So here's my question, since you can mount in parallel batteries to "raise" their amps, could I do the same with USB ports? (two 3.0 ports or three 2.0 ports)
>>
You'll need to put small resistors in series with the device and USB ports to balance them (a couple ohms). If you put two voltage sources in parallel without that one will supply a slightly higher voltage and all the current will be drawn from that one. This will make your PC shut down the higher USB port for drawing too much current, then the second one for drawing too much current. Batteries have their own internal resistance.
>>
File: 2016-01-28_22-15-19.jpg (62 KB, 1076x746) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-28_22-15-19.jpg
62 KB, 1076x746
>>937937

Pardon my shitty schematic and my stupid question, but I assume you mean putting a resistor where the green arrow is?

Or one for each port where the blue arrows are?

And I'm quite new with resistors, what would a good value for it?
>>
>>937932
>(a couple ohms)
dont listen to this idiot.

a 'couple' of ohms at 1 amp will drop a couple of volts.
meaning burned resistors and low voltage for your board.

usb is current regulated, should be fine.
external hardrives divide their load over multiple usb drives all the time.
>>
>>937932

Batteries don't really work well in parallel.
>>
>>937932
Watch out with that assumption, many computers have USB ports that share their power connection, so you can't just use two ports because they are both sharing the same 0.9A power supply.
>>
File: 41phEjqn+WL._SY400_.jpg (14 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
41phEjqn+WL._SY400_.jpg
14 KB, 400x400
>>937932
Like pic related? Yes. And in the right situation it will actually work. But in many situations it will make no difference because the ports that are plugged into are shared, because of power protection built-in modern chipsets, etc.
>>
>>939151
Sure they do.
>>
>>937937
> This will make your PC shut down the higher USB port for drawing too much current

Not exactly. USB ports usually have over voltage protection, not over current. Pull too much voltage, it will shut down the port. Try and pull too many amps.... and it just won't deliver.

Imagine an arduino powered off of USB. Attach a long string of programmable LEDs to it, program it to print a message over serial on boot, and then turn on one led at a time. It never draws too much voltage or current, and will happily work away. Update it to do one at a time, then two, n+1... It will reboot and start over after ten or so at a time, because it can't draw enough current to light all the LEDs and run the atmel chip simultaneously. But it never drew too much voltage, so the computer never shuts down the USB port.
>>
>>939255
>USB ports usually have over voltage protection
You can't "pull too much voltage" from a USB port. It's a 5v voltage source. There is no way for any circuit to tell a USB port to provide more or less than 5v. The current is what changes based on the load.
>>
>>939259
But you can push too much
For which there is protection
>>
>>939275
>But you can push too much
Well sure, if you overvolt it.
>For which there is protection
In my experience? Nah, if you put 12v to a 5v USB you're gonna see smoke.

5v is 5v (unless it's regulated and you're drawing more than the regulated current, in which case voltage drops).
>>
>>939255
>Pull too much voltage
>>939275
>push too much
>>939255
>USB ports usually have over voltage protection, not over current.

please op, dont listen to this guy/these people.
google usb specs yourself and read up on electronics.

really bad electronics advise here these days.
>>
>>940209
>really bad electronics advice here these days
honestly, what did you expect from arduino dipshits?
>>
>>941239
some humility maybe?
most people who are entry level electronics hobbyists have an idea of how little they know.

if you dont know shit, dont give advice.
>>
>>939246
>But in many situations it will make no difference because the ports that are plugged into are share
That was my thougths at first, but it doesnt make sense for them to be shared. USB standard says they all should be able to supple 500ma. if one fatass usb device is drawing >=500ma then no other usb device would even function.
I dont think they could monitor the current going to ground because sometiems if not always the whole damn case is ground and a usb device could just dump into that instead. couldnt a diode or capacitor or something be placed in the + wire to not allow the chip to have a real idea of what current is really flowing through both ports combine?
>>
>>941650
>USB standard says they all should be able to supple 500ma
One thing that I think should be clarified that hasn't yet - that spec from the standards is a MINIMUM. In other words, a USB port is GUARANTEED to be capable of delivering up to 500mA. Any supply capable of more will still be compliant, but any accessory that draws more than 500mA isn't guaranteed to work with all USB ports.

In any case, your 2A supply is 2A (which is more than 1.37), so I don't see any problem.
>>
>>941714
I wasnt the guy you were talking to, probably should have said so in my post
>>
>>937932
make sure the ribbon connector is installed properly. I ended up burning out my adapter for the polish display port to ipad lcd adapter. the idiot had designed his circuit with the ribbon connector wired backwards so that the ribbon should be installed upside down.
>>
>>941650
They monitor the actual voltage at the output (like an ATX PSU does), and if the voltage has dropped too far, they conclude that too short a load must be connected.

There's an intermediate power supply so one USB port can't drop the PC's entire 5v rail. How much it can deliver determines how much the port(s) it's powering can deliver.
>>
>>941774
>monitors voltage
thank makes sense
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.