[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chainsaw bike
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 480x360
I'm thinking of putting a 33cc chainsaw engine on a bike with a torque clutch and a number 14 tractor chain. This will be my first time doing something like this.Does anyone have any tips or tricks ? Feel free to brag about stuff you have built.
>>
If you use a chain and sprocket you'll need a huge sprocket on the wheel. Just use friction drive on the tire like the picture.
>>
>>937910
Thanks looks like I need to make a trip towards harbor freight or a tractor shop.
>>
>>937905
>Does anyone have any tips or tricks ?
Carry a fire extinguisher.
>>
>>937905
Don't use a chain. Use a roller on the wheel. It is far easier and safer.
>>
>>937941
Won't it grind the wheel down ? I work in a machine shop I can make a covering if that's what you are worried about plus the number 14s supposedly never come off
>>
>>937928
Yeah I'm probably gonna make a mount for the tiny ones thanks .
>>
Get a bigger engine... 55cc 62cc add a second sprocket that runs free in reverse , then u can peddle to take off and let the engine work under less load. You can have a look at some motorised bike kits online
>>
>>937945
As long as it's done right the added wear from friction drive will hardly be noticeable.
I prefer the simplicity of friction drive over chains, spockets and jackshafts.
With friction drive you can have it going over a weekend. No messing around with machining adapters to hold a sprocket to the rim and aligning jack shafts.
>>
>>937954
Good point . I also don't need a gear ratio.
>>
>>937949
I don't wanna pedel though. Thanks for the help though I'll see about a bigger engine . I'm buying one off of EBay.
>>
Dear /diy/,
what the fuck?

Sincerely,
a confused passerby.
>>
>>937958
Make sure to get a engine that has or can have a centrifugal clutch, with a nice size barrel, this will make contact with the wheel, and you won't need to mess with a one way.
>>
>>937958
>I don't wanna pedel though
He's not suggesting you pedal the whole time, he's just suggesting that you don't use a chainsaw engine to tug your fat ass around and actually get yourself moving before you start breaking the fucking motor
>>
>>937973
All right thanks .
>>
>>937975
Don't need to be rude especially since I lug pieces of stock steel all day and I want to kick off rather than pedal. I'm not that fat.
>>
>>937905
build a drill scooter
>>
>>937910
>friction drive on the tire
>gobbling up all the shit on the tire
>>
>>937905
>Does anyone have any tips or tricks ?
Yes. It's a monumentally stupid idea, don't do it.
>>
Get something like this
http://www.amazon.com/PK80-2-Cycle-Engine-Performance-Bicycle/dp/B00B0GCZ3I

I bought a similar kit, welded up an expansion chamber to replace the shitty muffler, added a chain tensioner and built a larger fuel tank. It will do about 35 mph and gets 60-80mpg. I've had to do two top ends in about 4000 miles, the bottom end will probably need replacing soon since there is a pretty strong rattle at idle and some play in the crank.
>>
>>937945
you could potentially rig something up so that you've got rollers on the sides of the rims (where the brakes grab) rather than on the tire.

>>937928
also wear earpro while riding
>>
>>938046
>not that fat
zozzled
>>
Correct gear ratio
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.