[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
General audio/speakers /thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: philips_hts3357-500x500.jpg (19 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
philips_hts3357-500x500.jpg
19 KB, 500x500
Hello diy/! maybe hifi/audio speakers thread?

We just baught this second hand.
A philips hts 3357

And of-course it wasn't as simple as just plugging it in and play.

there are some issues with this system

-only main center speaker works
-cant play sound from tv(samsung)
- digital audio outputt on speaker and optic audio input on tv
>>
File: monoprice_speaker_cable_close.jpg (30 KB, 650x415) Image search: [Google]
monoprice_speaker_cable_close.jpg
30 KB, 650x415
So i started with the sub-woofer.
The 1,5 mm cobber wire leading to the speaker was broken so i had to solder it back on
>>
>>937885
Didnt work either. So im hoping the reason is that i messed up the polarization.
>>
File: IMG_3064.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3064.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1936
>>937886
even though ive heard it doesn't matter if you polarize a speaker or not.

Is this true?
>>
File: back of samsung ps50a486p1w.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
back of samsung ps50a486p1w.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
And then troubleshooting the tv-speaker connections.

On all tutorials ive seen, people have a different output layout on their Samsung TV. so im a bit stuck here.

Anybody have any good suggestions on where to connect the hts to the tv?

or know why it might not work?
(since ive allready tried the obvious connections)
>>
File: philips hts.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
philips hts.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>937890
back of philips hts

is it so (and please correct me if im wrong)
that a hdmi cable only transfers signals one way?
So the tv might not recognize the hts-system as speakers because it also has the dvd-sloth
>>
>>937887
read on a nother forum that i could test the speaker itself with a battery, so i did that.
it seems to be working, as it gave a little sound
>>
>>937887
The speaker will still make sound, but it will be out-of-phase with the other speakers. If the right and left speakers are out-of-phase, the sound waves will cancel each other out in the middle. In practice, it will sound distant and hollow. That's essentially how some older 2-speaker systems emulated surround sound - they messed with the phase of the rear channels and played that through the front speakers.

Anyway, about your home-theater-in-a-box system:
- There's no THD rating, but the SNR is 60dB. That's the equivalent of 10bits. In other words, it's SHIT.
- The speakers are 3ohm. Systems like that use 3ohm speakers because they "pull" more power through the amplifier (at higher distortion), therefore artificially bumping up the "wattage" spec they can claim on the box. It's rated 600W, but those 3ohm have such low sensitivity, a normal 100W amp and full size 8ohm speakers would probably sound louder.
It belongs in the trash. The speakers are such shit it's not worth salvaging them to use with a different amplifier.
>>
>>937887
it matters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFlwINTNFqg
>>
>>937899
yeah. tnx for good answer! just managed to get the sub-woofer going. it s like a toddler hitting a pillow with a teaspoon. it might have bin working all along then..
>>
>>937900
tnx for link!
>>
>>937899
still its better than nothing. the tv's speakers are broken.

would you know how i should connect it to the tv? also see images provided of hts and tv
>>937891
>>937890
>>
>>937900
Neat, never seen a video of this done, knew it existed. Is there any risk in damaging sensitive speakers with this?

>>937939
Post your tv model.
>>
This should work and preserve surround sound even.

TV optical>converter>digital coaxial
>>
>>937982
Whoops.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=2948&gclid=CI_B76bHz8oCFQWUfgodU4oN0A
>>
>>937980
samsung plp ps50a486p1w
>>
I dit it guys!

after re connecting every speaker i used

TV HDMI out -> hts HDMI in
hts (rear) AUX in -> TV AV out
hts mode -> AUX

now i need to check how good the surround is
>>
>>937991
Uh, anon, most TVs don't have HDMI outs.
>>
>>937995
ok? i realize mine didnt have the (arc) hdmi. but ist it one of these? look at
>>937890

thats the back of my tv
>>
>>938016
>>937995
EDIT:
of course not out, thats an error.
meant in.
>>
>>938016
>>938018
It doesn't look like it, and both TV and receiver would have to support arc.

I didn't even see the auxiliary out on the TV, my bad. That will give you simulated surround sound out, that may be enough for you. If you decide you need discrete surround check out that converter.
>>
>>938033
yeah. Tnx for all help.
it works fine enough with the aux output. i dont really know why i need the hdmi there but that's how it is.

with that said,I'm agreeing with this guy
>>937899

the speakers are shit. this system is not worth it. Unless you get it for free. and if its all working.

the amount of time i spent on getting the speakers up and going, it would be nice with some good sound.
>>
>>938033
and the aux out on the tv doesnt make sense. ive tried it with many combinations before whitout result.

it only seem to work with the hdmi. dont know why.

in general ive had problems with hifi and speakers. everything from my first carstereo to something as simple as a headset for my computer.

everything i buy that involves speakers or audio never work 100%
>>
Also. when i now try to compare different hts in the store. and the one i got. price vs effect e.g.

is this business just a giant scam?
>>
>>938083
There is a huge mark up on speakers. Some htib's sound really good for what they are and how cheap they are. The next step when you start buying individual speakers the mark up is insane.

I've been into home theater stuff for about 10 years. I finally built my own speakers and can never go back to buying again after hearing how they sound.

Since you're on diy check these out, super entry level little project. I've never heard them but someone on /g/ had a pair and raved about them. Wouldn't be a bad place to start your own surround system.
http://www.parts-express.com/overnight-sensations-mt-speaker-kit-pair--300-706
>>
>>937890
your optical out port looks slightly tilted/damaged, have you tried testing with an audio signal besides that port on your tv?
>>
>>938247
Havnt noticed that. Never used the optical output.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.