[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey there, /diy/ After years of apartment living, the wife and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 20120213.jpg (61 KB, 600x210) Image search: [Google]
20120213.jpg
61 KB, 600x210
Hey there, /diy/

After years of apartment living, the wife and I are finally moving into a big-boy house. I want to start investing in some decent tools that will last for a little while but not break the bank.

The first one I think I'd like to bring home is a table saw. Any suggestions as far as what brands to avoid, models to consider, or if a certain tool has been especially good to you that you can recommend to a new buyer?

I guess what I'm really asking is what someone starting a tool collection should prioritize
>>
Brands are about the same. If you want higher quality, look at industrial/commercial lines. They also cost more.
>>
>>937560
If you're just starting out, utility is gonna be your best bet.

A table saw is a good choice, also look into a handheld drill
>>
>>937582
This, plus maybe a miter saw depending on what projects you have planned
>>
>>937602
>>937582
Or a circular saw with a table it fits in and make a mitre box for it.

For basic tools:
A good claw hammer.
Screwdriver set (various sizes of cross point are more important than flat head)
Driver set+all those random ass bits (don't spend a lot, like $6 on the driver max, and like $20 for the bit collection). You want this because shit like torx heads, square heads, and the like are starting to show up on all kinds of shit.
a circuit tester (preferably one of the ones that you just touch to the wire to tell if it's hot) and eventually a decent multimeter, but a circuit tester can keep your ass from getting fried doing low level stuff
some kind of scraper
a deadblow hammer
prybar
cresent wrench
plier set (adjustable, needlenose, bent nose, channel locks)
vice grips
clamps
don't bother buying painting stuff until you have to paint

beyond that, it mainly depends on what kind of work you're doing.
>>
>>937560
If you have no other tools, don't start with a table saw. It takes up the most space and you will probably use it the least as far as general tools go.

Get a drill. I would go with something that has hammer/drill/driver to cover most of the bases
Get a decent circular saw.
The rest are probably listed above. Screw driver set. claw hammer. socket set. adjustable wrenches. channel locks, lineman pliers, needle nose, pipe wrench, vise grips.
SAWZALL
>>
>>937560
Chicago Electric is a good line to start with
>>
We just started talking about moving into a larger house last week, and I've already caught myself looking at used Bridgeport mills.

Try and avoid buying tools just because you can, even though it's tempting. Otherwise it will just escalate.
>>
>>937653
This. If you kill it, buy a higher quality one.
>>
>>937560
pinnochio 'gon lose more than just his nose
>>
>>937560
A table saw is the last tool you'd need to buy.

It's very task specific and I can't think of a single use for house renovation.

Great if you're planning to make furniture for example. Really isn't warranted for home repair.

A compound mitre saw is much more suited to the DIY home owner.
>>
Really depends on what you want to do. Since you're just starting out, I'd say go with Harbor Freight and yard sales for most needs; you can get a lot of tools without breaking the bank. Start with the basics, simple wrenches/ratchets, hammers, screw drivers, etc. For power tools, you'll probably have more use for a drill than a table saw.

Again, it depends on what you're doing. if it's a lot of building with wood, I can see the table saw being useful, but otherwise I would invest the money and space into more basic tools along with a tool chest and other storage.
>>
>>937560
>Steal old table from the dump
>Buy cheap circular saw
>Mount to the underside of the table

Done
>>
You should really consider looking into auctions or estate sales/yard sales. A lot of the time the tools are shit but every once in a while you could hit a gold mine!
>>
>>937769
>what is height and angle adjustment?
>what is a parallel fence?
>>
>>937785
>What is having long bolts holding the saw so you can just screw down/screw up? What is rotating the peice of wood?
>What is two other peices of wood?
>>
>>937609
>Or a circular saw with a table it fits in...

What do you mean by this? I figure I can google a mitre box.

Not OP btw, but also interested in similar things as I will, within the next few years, be in the same situation. Thanks for that gear list:D

For myself, I'm planning on starting with simple shelving and tables for whatever my work space ends up being, moving on to shelving and furniture for the house, possibly some kind of backyard play set for my kids. If I git gud, maybe I'll sell stuff as well.

This will all start three years from now. My projected starting budget is $2500 - $3000.
>>
>>937785
It's easier to level a beatup hardwood table, and keep it level, than the folded sheet metal crap that comes with the home store tablesaw.
>>
>>937769
>>937792

Op. Don't be tempted by this nonsense. I've seen it before, tried it before. I saw someone lose a thumb through this kind of shit.

>in b4 it works
I really do think the majority of /diy/ lives on the eastern block
>>
Kijiji
eBay
Every once and a while a set goes on sale for good prices from different companys
>>
>wearing gloves
>no safety glasses or ear plugs
>moving his hand towards the blade
>>
>>938097
people lose thumbs fooling around on tablesaw all the time too. IF you do it, you need to actually do it well, make a good fence system, add a splitter, add miter slots, and use jigs and push sticks so you're never near the blade. It will always be a bitch to adjust the height though, and the wobble on a circular saw is just always going to be more than even a shitty tablesaw.
circular saw is a stupid idea.
jigsaw is a less stupid idea, but the blade will bend because it's not supported from above, so the cut will be shitty compared to a scroll saw. better off doing a birdsmouth table and taping a light/laser to it so you can cut well and well supported and see the line.
>>
>>938191
Can you explain or link a birdsmouth table for me? All I'm coming up with on Google is ways of building wooden masts for sailboats.
>>
>>938211
huh, hadn't realized that joint was called a birdsmouth. anyway, birdsmouth is basically a wedge shape cut out on a work table. really useful when using a jigsaw on thinner plywood, because the cut is more supported on both ends. apparently also called fret saw table or v board. all I see are the clamp on version, which would probably work better for you, but have also in the past seen a bench version (like a seating bench) with the notch cut into the end.
>>
First I'd get hand tools. Hammer, screwdrivers, pliers and shit.
Then a drill and an angle grinder.
Then check out what is needed next. Don't buy tools because. Buy when the need arises.
>>
>>937714
>A compound mitre saw
THIS!
I have a ton of tools including two table saws and I find that the compound miter saw is the most used tool in the shop for cutting wood.
also a plug-in electric drill is also most used. cordless drills are great sometimes but the damn batteries always wear down over time to the point they can't power the drill anymore then you have a paperweight. replacement batteries are often hard to find or crazy expensive to the point that it makes more sense to just buy a whole new cordless drill. but a decent plugged drill will last a lifetime.
then its always good to have a selection of hand tools; set of wrenches, set of socket wrenches, screwdrivers, hammer maybe a prybar etc. most of that stuff you can get away with buying at harbor freight for cheap. it'll be good enuff for beginners and basic home projects plus if any of it breaks it didn't cost much so no big deal. they have sale coupons all the friggin time.
or hit the garage and estate sales - I have found a lot of great old hand tools that way for cheap. and the older stuff is usually better made anyway so win win!
>>
>>938084
>folded sheet metal crap that comes with the home store tablesaw.
he has a point here about the table saw top. the thicker heavier SOLID steel the table top is the better the saw will be. of course the price will also be higher. the folded thin steel is OK for the table extensions but the main table should be solid and heavy.
>>
>>938512
2nd most used saw in my shop is the medium sized band saw - picked that up garage sale for pretty cheap including a whole bunch of spare blades. but its more for smaller hobby type projects. i.e. you don't cut 2X4s with it.
>>
>>938386
Neat. Thank you. I can see how what could be really useful.
>>
>>937784
YES. Self and bro have gotten tons (by weight!) of equipment and metal from industrial and estate auctions for pennies on the dollar.

Bro just scored enough high end electronics assembly workbench systems from a closed Bose plant to outfit his entire shipping container workshop for under two grand. About 20K in benches, and some were full of hand tools and supplies.

Auctionzip and others are a good way to hunt auctions. Have a bro so you can tag team shit. My bro finds the auctions, I provide the truck and car trailer and we make out like bandits.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.