[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cable management
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8
File: 20160128_151334.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160128_151334.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Hello there I was managing my cables as I did some few changes on my setup,
Just wanted you guys to give me if possible some advice with it, as it is a transparent cristal desk and it can't be drilled. Double side tapes are an option, but it would be weird as the desk is transparent. What do you say?
Also feel free to post your own works im sure your proud with.
>>
Your cables are too short to really do much with it. Everything is pulled tight, no slack for routing.

I would just go with a nice paintable cable raceway down the wall, personally.
>>
File: blue split loom.jpg (25 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
blue split loom.jpg
25 KB, 300x200
use colored split loom and run el wire inside to make it glow
>>
>>937556
this

your cables are too short to go to the right

if you can maybe try to stick some cable tie mounts on the under side of the desk and then run everything to the right side of the desk and then drop from there, under the desk, so it will be totally invisible
>>
>>937464
>>937556
>>937584
Get some sort of riser to put the computer on - it will give you more cable slack to work with, and a computer shouldn't be sitting on the floor in the first place
>>
>>937556
That picture is embarrassing. Fucking capping up to your TV? Really? Just drill two holes and fish them cables through the walls. Easy af.
>>
I spent 4 hours fishing cable and routing shit today, feel like I barely made a dent in it.

I scarred the bottom 2 inches of drywall around most the room and am putting the wires in this channel to cover them with base molding when finished. Two 30' HDMI cables, 1 coax, one 15' display port, 3 pairs of 16 gauge speaker wire and 5 active USB extension cables. Not sure it will all fit in a 2-2.5" x 5/8" cavity.

I might just shoot a couple brads into the molding to hold it on but trying to think of creative ways to attach it to the wall that will make it easily removable.
>>
I hate cables.
They do look a little short / tight.

Does that green wall double up as a home green screen? If not then it should.
>>
>>937826
Concrete wall?
>>
File: 20160129_094520_Richtone(HDR).jpg (2 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160129_094520_Richtone(HDR).jpg
2 MB, 2048x1536
>>937862
Here is what I was going on about.
>>
File: arlin_AHC101_cable_tie_base.gif (37 KB, 375x282) Image search: [Google]
arlin_AHC101_cable_tie_base.gif
37 KB, 375x282
get these. they are cable tie adhesive pads
you stick the pads on something, put a cable tie thru it. tie cable up. done deal

home depot and lowes should have these available
>>
>>937464
incase the wires instead of just tying them off 8inches from the desk. Youll want them to all group at the edge of the desk so it looks like just one large chord.
>>
>>937985
You are like me but with hardwood floors and no lid on your coffee!
>>
>>937826
Not everybody lives in burgerland with cardboard wall. Most houses here are built out of stone.
>>
>>938057
Glue wears out, especially if you have a lot of cables hanging on them. There's a version of this to screw it in, buy those with tiny screws and it'll never let go.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Here's what I do for a living. Of course this is a demo unit that I made for our sales guy, but most of what I install looks the same.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>938965
It'll look a little nicer with name placards on instead of tape but the bulk of it is done.
>>
>>938965
>>938967

What are these exactly?
>>
>>938639
>internal wall made out of stone.
>>
>>939091
Shut the fuck up
>>
File: 20160131_103543.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160131_103543.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>938619
The struggle. 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag.

>>938965
>>938967
What's the technique for this? Cut the wires at length where you are connecting them or pull tight once they are connected?
>>
>>939105
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wQ7MC04_5g
>Do you even craft

Just kidding, zip ties are fine and what everyone uses now. If you wanted to take time cable lacing your bosses would kill you.

Secure one end to hardware. Zip tie along the way. You terminate to length. The only slack you get is if you have box to store slack in, or just the strain the relief you setup on the way into the terminal.
>>
before you finalize that you might want to consider ergonomics and comfort for a second because that desk looks like a widowmaker.
>>
>>939089
It's... Complicated. I work for a company that retrofits very very large generator controllers, substation automation equipment, and protection relays. This box has a VFD and reactor that simulates a generator and step up transformer. The rows of ice cube relays are used to simulate possible faults, and the metal boxes are what sense the faults. Our sales guy can use this to show how much improved functionality we can cram into a one-outage upgrade project.

>>939105
I start by landing every wire that goes to the same thing first (say that top row of lights or that top box, going right to left) leaving the other end of the wire longer than I need it and labeling with a piece of tape. Then bundle it all together really tight with a zip tie and work my way over and down, terminal by terminal. Having drawings for something like this is a necessity so you can highlight what you've already landed. I've done projects with 1400 terminations in a spot not much bigger than that case and they've looked just as good.
>>
>>939091
You mean you don't beleive me or you just think it's useless to build your internal wall in stone?
>>
>>939105
>The struggle. 10lbs of shit in a 5lb bag.
what
>>
>>938965
>>938967
Wow, mirin'.
>>
>>938965
>>938967
THE GREY BOX IS UPSIDE DOWN YOU FUCKNUT
>>
>>938057
I was going to suggest this. Run it around the edge of the table top and no one will be any wiser.

>>938642
If it's a transparent top I doubt screws would be an option.

Also if you use enough and stick them to a clean surface once, not reapplying in another place they should stick for years without issue.
>>
>>939443
Not if he wants to route those wires on what is now the "top" to the terminal above it in the shortest fashion. Without looping them around.
Not like it matters anyway.
>>
>>939233
>Lives in a prison cell.
>>
>>939531
I find it funny how americans laugh at our stone houses yet they have hurricanes in their area and build their houses out of wood and cardboard.
>>
>>939552
Again
>internal stone walls.
Why?
>>
>>939443
What the actual shit are you talking about?
>>
>>939560

Buidling strenght and durability?

Internal brick walls also save up some of the heat of your warming system and release it afterwards, creating a more stable climate in the house.

And building only the outside of the house in stone leaves for a flimsy not so stable wall unless it's really thick. Because it's connected to an inner wall it's much more stable.
>>
>>939599
Ah brick walls, now it makes sense.

I mean paying for dressed stone internal wall would be like living in a castle.
>>
>>939826
Yeah, depending on when the house was built the external/internall wall can be solid concrete, concrete blocks, full bricks, lightweight bricks (hollow) and I think my house has something else, not sure about the material. Seems like a lightweight version of concrete, kinda looks spongy on the inside.

We have wooden houses too though but that's more of a newer thing.
>>
>>939599
Where the fuck do you put your wires and pipes?
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.