[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to put some concrete on the path from my side door to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: cement forming.jpg (13 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
cement forming.jpg
13 KB, 259x194
I want to put some concrete on the path from my side door to my backyard. What tools would i need for that? And what kind of mix to buy. Thanks.
>>
Shovel/wheel barrow. If i want to mix concrete myself in small amounts I do it in old 5 gall plastic pails with a mixer on a large drill I find this method is much easier faster than by doing it in a wheel barrow. If you have a lot of concrete to mix it might be cheaper/better use of time to order some really depends on local prices etc. you can "float the concrete with a homemade wooden trowel with the edges sanded round if you don't want to buy a real hand float. same goes for a larger floats. then you need a smooth steel trowel. an edging trowel and a broom to texture at the end.
>>
Depending on amount, bucket then tarpaulin then wheelbarrow with dutch hoe then cement mixer.

Premix dry concrete packs are good for patching but make sure you get some pva bonding agent in the mix and on the area where the patch is going. Mixing your own for larger quantities is cheaper. Depending on volume, delivered wet is much easier.

As always, prepare the area thoroughly. Compact as much as possible. If laying onto a porous surface, you need a membrane down first - I use 2 thicknesses of the cheap painters plastic sheets.

After putting the concrete down and firming it, you can float or brush it to get the finish you want. If it's hot, cover the fresh concrete with a membrane (same painters sheets will do fine).
>>
was talking about how to set up the wood forms.
>>
>>937275
Exactly like your pic, 2x4s and stakes. Also might not be a bad idea to slope it away from house depending on how close it is.
>>
>>937259
shovels, wood to make forms, saw to cut wood, wheel barrow, rebar, angle grinder to cut rebar, pool trowel. pva and cement. good to go
>>
Don't bother with a broom it leaves a shit finish use a sponge
>>
>>937329
I hate the finish that a broom leaves, I like my concrete smooth so I own a finishing trowel. That plus a $2 plastic float to level it off initially is pretty much me. The lads who helped me do the slab on my drive had all the tools though. Even a vibrator.

>>937259
Depending on the size, it's almost certainly far cheaper to just get aggregate and cement from your local hardware store. I'd probably hire a concrete mixer for a few hours, fuck mixing it by the barrow load with a shovel.

Still, you'll want a wheelbarrow to transport it, a shovel obviously, a float, an edging trowel, and a finishing trowel. Some of these can be surprisingly expensive, so if you know someone from whom you can borrow the tools, do that.

Some people insist on using 4x1 for boxing, I just use fence rails, no.2 4x2, plus pegs, lots of pegs, and 3" flat heads to hold everything together.

Depending on the size you'll likely want to reinforce your path with some steel, and you might want to crack or cut the concrete in a few places too.

Last pathway I did was about 3m3 so I just got a truck to come and pour it for me, two mates to help barrrow it in and spread it, who then stuck around to trowel it, whole thing went smoothly.
>>
Don't just use sand and cement. Sand and gravel mix(you can buy that premixed and is best suited at about 3:1 with cement.

http://www.calculator.net/concrete-calculator.html

That will workout how much of what bags you need.

I will say though if it's a large area you're covering, it'll be easier to have a concrete truck deliver and pour in one go.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.