[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Woodshop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Sketch273174056.png (2 MB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Sketch273174056.png
2 MB, 1280x960
Suggestions for turning this into a woodshop? I already have all my tools and have been doing fine woodworking for a few years now. Soon a family member is getting this property, and this thing is out there. There's power nearby.

It's in Florida so I'm not worried about heating it. Cooling will just be a fan and a cold bottle of water.

I don't want to do anything with the floor if I don't have to. For table legs that'll be on the ground, I'll either surround the legs in plastic bags, or varnish them, or use treated lumber for the legs.

My main concern is moisture, obviously. I've thus far had my woodshop in a garage outside, as part of a strip of garages with no climate control, in an apartment complex. The humidity hasn't been too bad overall (well, it's Satan's armpit during the summer but it doesn't affect my stock too terribly).

1/2
>>
File: roofing.jpg (63 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
roofing.jpg
63 KB, 300x225
2/2

Just thinking about using some corrugated roofing as the walls, running power, using plywood/OSB walls for at least one wall so I can hang all my tools (French cleat system yay), and making sure there's no leaks in the roof.

Is this a shitty idea or will it work pretty much?
>>
>>937121
until the next hurricane
>>
>>937124
Lots of trees around. It's a shed anyway. If a hurricane hits it's done for unless I add extra posts and have nice plywood walls
>>
Dig it out and pour a slab with a level floor which you can then coat with epoxy for extra points. No idea why you're averse to framing walls with 2x4s if you claim to be a fine woodworker. Sheathing, tyvek and 2xs are cheap as fuck. This also allows doors and security unless you want a hillbilly to steal your tools.
>>
>>937130
I completely agree that this is the best way to go. It's just. Ca$h dolla$

Also, diaper boy is a serious concern. Jk.
>>
If by "fine woodworking" you mean "a place to cook meth" then yeah this is a great spot.
>>
>>937119
personally, i'd suggest off the ground plank flooring most sheds use, rather than a slab.

>>937121
It'll work, but you have to frame up walls and screw down the panels. MAKE SURE the overhang of the roof extends well beyond the wall, obv.
Personally I don't see the need for osb/plywood, just screw sections of 1x3 cleat to the studs where you want to hang something. anything heavy will be wider than the stud spacing and be supported well.

If you're talking about just vaguely hanging corrugated roofing off of the current structure? not going to work for your picture. Corrugations should run vertically, not horizontally, so you'll need SOME framing at least. Don't forget to add soffits and ventilation, or it will become a solar kiln and steam bend all the wood and tools you leave in it. Ideally you want an air channel to run along the underside of the roof, so as it heats up it makes its own convection wind current.
Usually no solution for humidity in a small shop. just keep the actual rain out, and accept that wood will shift.
>>
>>937119
man that looks a lot like Florida.

sure why not... u could make it super stonk if you added like 8 more 4x4"s and some cross bracing. fuck I'd be a cheap ass and replace the floor with gravel and call it a day. but that might be a bitch to clean up shavings/dust lol
>>
>>937179

Super helpful, thank you

>>937349
Thanks
>>
>>937179
By soffit, you just mean an opening at the top, not necessarily the plastic covers right?
>>
>>937455
well plastic covers are suggested so you don't get bats/wasps living in your roof. You could diy with wire mesh or even drilled holes in wood (although I'd worry abt wasps there).
But basically you want a vent on the bottom of the outside of the roof, so air can run along under the sheathing. if it's a small peaked roof, usually just ones on either end of the roof peak, or could have a roof vent, yeah.
you can just leave them open to the air inside, or have a cover along inside rafters so it doesn't let in cold breeze in winter. You're probably going to have door open in summer, and it will allow more airflow.
http://www.secrets-of-shed-building.com/ventilating-a-shed.html
>>
>>937708
Awesome advice again, greatly appreciated.
>>
>>937119
Is that a still in the trees in the background?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.