[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fixing a car scratch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: scratch.png (851 KB, 1024x636) Image search: [Google]
scratch.png
851 KB, 1024x636
/o/ wasn't helpful.

How do I fix this?

I have chrome color spray, 180 sandpaper, polish.
It's on the front bumper, so it's glass fiber.
>>
That looks like powdered metal coating. Look up the paint colour code, buy the proper paint, if you use some cheap spray paint it's going to look like garbage. Also there's the chance it's going to look different than the rest of the car even if you use the correct paint. If there's no crease or loss of fiber, you only need to paint and polish.
>>
>>937086
>/o/ wasn't helpful.

Not at all surprising.
You can make it look acceptable and nobody will notice unless they are looking hard.

Find the actual color code for your car, google the year and model and general color, you should be able to find it.

Go to the auto parts store and find a can of color matching touch up spray paint.

Wetsand the bad area, mask it off, use a PLASTIC primer, let it dry, put on very light coats of the color match , let dry and then wet sand, another coat keep going until you think its sufficient enough.

Then buff the shit out of it. Itll look OK hopefully the rest of the car hadnt faded too much
>>
>>937107
I found my car's color by looking under the hood.
Z 157 (tigra twintop 2004)

I'll follow your advice, just found some YT vid howto wet sand.
>>
>>937111
The most important part is patience
Let the coats dry thoroughly, maybe make it a thing you do every night after work for a week.
If you rush it, itll look worse.
>>
>>937116
Gotcha, I'd rather make something great or not do anything at all than fuck it up.
>>
>>937116
>Let the coats dry thoroughly

I'd apply each coat wet - it's a metallic silver - which means there's a lot of metal flake in there. If you let each coat dry it's going to turn powdery and you'll just knock it off with the wetsanding before applying it again.

Silver is the hardest color to spray - watch some youtube.
>>
>>937127
So how much time should I wait between each layer?
Should I wetsand after I started painting or just to prepare the surface before the primer?
>>
>>937127
This is spray paint, not real automotive paint that you spray a hardener over the base.

What you are inferring to is clouding, and that happens when you get heavy handed and lay too heavy of coats.
As for your "powdery" talk, thats a misunderstanding of how real mettalic paint settles..

Isnt going to apply here to a rattle job
>>
File: radrat.jpg (57 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
radrat.jpg
57 KB, 624x351
>>937137
You should apply the paint in layers as thin as possible - let's say 5 passes without letting it dry, (spray on wet) this will make 1 coat.

Then wetsand - then give your next coat, and so on and so on.

>>937139
>What you are inferring

I imply - you infer. The two words are not interchangeable. Besides, I implied nothing, I was pretty much openly stating what I meant.
>>
So, I found a guy who made me paint on order.

I got 180 + 500 sandpaper for wetsanding
I got a plastic primer + gray primer for metal part
I got the Opel/Vauxhall Z157 (gray), it's water-based paint
I got varnish.

The guy told me to put the varnish 2 to 3 hours after each water layer, otherwise it will "curl".

Sadly the weather isn't ideal right now so I'll have to wait a bit (2 months, I guess) before doing it in ideal conditions (20°C, no sun, no wet weather).

I'll focus on changing the steering ball joint, putting on new front tires and changing the radio.
>>
test the paint on a non visible area first.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.