[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fibreglass
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: Fibreglass.jpg (56 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Fibreglass.jpg
56 KB, 300x225
I'm moulding a helmet so i can produce more of them, I've got my silicone ready to go, but I'm having a hard time finding fibreglass cloth and resin. Do any UK anons know where I can buy any (Thats not too expensive), do any other anons have any alternatives to fibreglass? I have heard that Plaster of Paris works, but I'm not very experienced with this sort of thing.
>>
boat repair places?
>>
>>937003
get a bondo fiberglass kit at any auto store
>>
My university seems to source a lot of stuff from easycomposites.co,uk. We get carbon fibre matting and stuff like that on giant rolls but it looks like you can buy it by the square metre.
>>
>>937094
bondo isn't a common thing here in the UK, our biggest chain of hardware stores, B&Q, dont even carry resins
>>
Eastcoast & marine industrial. Also pick up West system resin there too.
>>
>>937003
seconding east coast fibreglass. reblended polyester resin and chop strand mat is cheap if you don't need lloyds approval.

silicone moulding is a last ditch thing you'd pull out for shapes that don't have a split line. are you following a guide from a movie prop shop?
>>
>>937108
I *reeeeaaaally* hope you're just making costume helmets here....

>bondo isn't a common thing here in the UK,
Bondo (a name-brand) isn't sold at "hardware" stores: it is used as a cheap and easy (tho not very durable) way of filling in minor car body damage. It is a one-part resin that already has some kind of chopped-fiber filler added. It's sold at auto parts stores, or at some department stores that have automotive sections.

--------

The best selections and prices for composite supplies are probably online.

If you want somewhere local to get some fiberglass / epoxy fast, then shops that do boat repairs will have some on hand but they may not have it in retail packaging because they mainly buy it to use themselves.

You can use either epoxy (50/50 mix) or polyester resin (resin is about 90%, and you add ~10% hardener to it). I find the epoxy easier to mix but both can work perfect. And both are a fuming toxic mess until cured, don't breath it or get any on your skin. And both are kinda expensive.

Your first attempt will look like crap. The 3rd or 4th attempt will look a lot better.
>>
>>937424
Just costume helmets, I bought a cast of a judges helmet from Dredd (2012) and I want to replicate it

Thanks, this is great
>>
>>937483
May want to get some fiberglass veil too as the outside layer of glass to help prevent shadowing of the weave through the paint. Forgive me if you knew that already!
>>
>>937501
Im going to make a silicone mould of the helmet, then use fibreglass around it to make sure it keeps it's shape when im casting with it. I dont care about the look of the fibreglass, but thanks for sharing
>>
>>937519
I gathered the mould making bit, I meant veil as first layer against the mould/gelcoat in zee casting of zee helmet. Or perhaps you've a cunning plan for the actual piece?
>>
>>937625
Im not sure what you're getting at, do you mean between the helmet I have and the silicone?
>>
>>937664
I meen when you're casting your awesome reproduction from the mould you'd have just made. Assuming you are using fibergliss to reproduce your helmets
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.