[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best cordless drill /diy/? My battery type is out-of-production
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: drill.jpg (333 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
drill.jpg
333 KB, 1600x1200
Best cordless drill /diy/?

My battery type is out-of-production and I let two of my three batteries freeze (d'oh). My drills see heavy use in between sitting. I like a small light drill with good balance. Looking for Hobby pricing with Pro performance. Don't want kits and don't care about having a dozen "tools" that use the same battery- just a good racheting drill and a driver drill. Looking for batteries that last forever. I've had my current setup for 10+ years.

What's good these days for a cordless drill and driver (separate) sharing batteries? What battery type and voltage should I be looking for?
>>
>>936675
>Looking for Hobby pricing with Pro performance.
>Looking for batteries that last forever.

You be looking long time, anon. I've gone DeWalt 18v XR (Li-Ion) - which aint really a recommendation either, just, bound to be a few things in the range (what you dont need today, you will tomorrow, etc.) - bare (no batteries) tools are cheap, and, currently looking at OEM batteries for these, if anyone tried any/got any recommendations? Otherwise, carry on..
>>
>>936679
Batteries are more expensive than a new drill kit. That's why there are so many bare drills, it's cheaper to buy the kit and toss the drill.
>>
Milwaukee M18 drill/driver combo. Tool stores will sometimes have specials where you get a free battery if you buy a bare tool. The trick is they want you to pay way too much for a charger. Buy a charger and extra batteries on Amazon.
>>
>>936675
if you live in a decently populated area, there's probably a store that sells refurbs...you can get hella good deals at them.

Like the anon above, I'm partial to the Milwaukee M18 stuff.
>>
>>936689
>Milwaukee M18 drill/driver combo

M18 drill (bare) $60
M18 driver (bare) $100
charge base $30
battery $75
===$265

Kit with drill, driver, two batteries and base plus a bag
===$179

even with a free battery the piecemeal is shit.
>>
>>936681
- was (more or less) what I was saying, forgot to mention most important buying choice factor, reasonable & widespread range popularity = guaranteed a few different OEMs knocking out half-price (or less) batteries for the things.

New tools bare (at what must be less than cost, on the 'give them the razor, skin 'em on the blades' principle) + OEM batteries (also new, fuck buying 2nd hand batteries) - its a plan, no? Its all down to finding a good OEM battery maker, theres a few cropped for the DW XRs, but, having not tried any as yet (still on originals), can't recommend any manufacturer in particular. Expecting batteries to last 10 years+ nowadays, whether original or OEM, be overly-optimistic anyway, IMO.
>>
>>936693
To be fair that is a sale price at Home Depot.
>>
>>936693
>even with a free battery the piecemeal is shit.
You don't know about the "don't buy kits" deal?

Kit tools are different from the stand alone ones. They're underpowered and generally not as heavy duty as the stand alone ones (look up one of the kits, get the model number of the specific tool in question, then compare that to the model number of the stand alone tool).

If you're just getting stuff for periodic around-the-house useage this isn't a big deal, but if you use the tools frequently, it's always a better idea to get the stand alone ones.

Oh, and literally every manufacturer does this.
>>
File: 1447624429989.jpg (6 KB, 174x192) Image search: [Google]
1447624429989.jpg
6 KB, 174x192
>>936704
>Kit tools are different from the stand alone ones.

You are retarded
You can literally go on Milwaukees website and pull up the Combo model numbers. It then shows you what Bare tools are in each kit.

They sell tools at different stores with different accessories for a different price point. Some will have a bag and extras, some wont. All listed on the website, but the bare tool itself is the same.

Its like the lie that plumbers con people with.
>Moen and Delta make 2 levels of faucets!
>They make the crappy ones to sell at Lowes, and the expensive ones that showrooms and Plumbers keep in their trucks!
>they may look the same, but thats why we cost 25% more than Home Depot!

I work customer service for a faucet company, and have costumers call in and ask this all the time.
Its not worth the companies time to make small batches of crappier stuff.

These are drill combo kits in all big box stores that will be sold to a TON of people, they will have to warrant every single person. Its not like they made 1000 of them as a black friday one off deal.

Its literally just a marketing and pricing trick to convince you to upsell yourself.

You wanted just a cordless drill, you have decided on a tool because of how cheap the bare price is. After you get the batteries and charger you see the Drill with a case battery and charger is cheaper than just buying it outright.
But then looking over for just a menial amount of more money you can buy a drill and driver combo! Its a deal you could never pass up!

Its typical budget creep, its the same reason people start out wanting to build a 600$ gaming computer and end up spending 900-100$ on it.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.