[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to start a mealworm farm for making edible mealworms.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: meal worm farm.jpg (94 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
meal worm farm.jpg
94 KB, 960x720
I want to start a mealworm farm for making edible mealworms.

Has anyone else tried this? Is it financially and temporally feasible to grow mealworms as a food source?
>>
>>936510
Edible by whom?

Also: https://news.stanford.edu/pr/2015/pr-worms-digest-plastics-092915.html

Mealworms are easy. Get a stock of them plastic tubs and feed them.

The biggest problem I had with them is harvesting them for my chickens. Theres no real easy way to do this. So i switched over to BSF since they harvested themselves for me
>>
>>936525
Edible by me and maybe other people. I am interested in breeding them for food as they have a good protein profile and are nutritious.

What is BSF?
>>
>>936531
it's a type of fly larvae.
To feed chicken.
>>
>>936510
i have a mealworm box to feed my birds. it doesnt require much upkeep. i found this metal box in someones trash and filled it with sawdust and oatmeal. i put a clean ratty rag on top with a couple slices of fruit on it. the only upkeep is making sure they have some kind of moist fruit to munch on. youll also want to keep it outside so the beetles that make it to term can escape after they mate and lay more eggs.

to harvest some worms you pull the rag out and there will be a ton on it. if you want absolutely all of them out there are some light tricks you can do to herd them into a blacked out container. can google methods
>>
My dad had a little farm to feed our reptiles, literally buy a bag of them from the store and put them in i believe corn starch? and they just reproduce and reproduce, they turn into beetles and lay eggs
>>
>>936531
>Edible by me and maybe other people.
South East Asian detected.

Also:

>scour bins for all the styrofoam you can find
>feed to mealworms
>eat mealworms
>never buy food again
>????
>net outgoings are are reduced
>>
>>936531
>BSF

Black Soldier Fly

They process garbage faster than worms and will crawl out of the bins on a stick and fall into a collection bin if you want.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.