[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
First /diy/ project, could I get some advice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5
File: 18740470-handsaw-Stock-Photo.jpg (53 KB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
18740470-handsaw-Stock-Photo.jpg
53 KB, 1300x866
It's my first time doing a /diy/ project so I'm a bit clueless about what I'm doing.

I'm trying to make a basic shoe shelf out of a pallet I found (*cough* stole *cough*). I cut out 14 planks/pieces of wood using a hand saw (pic related, except with a blade for wood) of similar shape and size. The problem is that I didn't cut them out perfectly so some of the planks are different in length by 1-2cm. Is there an easy way to even out all of the planks or do I have to just mark some measurements with a pencil and use the handsaw again? I feel like the handsaw is something that is tough to be precise with, or maybe I am cutting it out wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.
>>
>>936368
Pallets are for queers, as are shoe racks.
You should be able to cut better than that 2cm is huge.
Practice measuring, marking and knowing where on the line you are cutting.
Use a file to take off any excess before sanding but the more mismatched your cuts are the more work it will take and filling is a real fucking chore.
But it will give you some incentive to cut better next time.
Use a coarse/rough/bastard file to start.
>>
>>936368
>all types of wood in the world
>steals pallet
>>
>>936370

Thanks for the reply. I realize the pallet is shit quality wood, but I thought it would force me to learn more things rather than buying some ready to go wood planks. I'm also doing this on a budget, hence the pallet. What's wrong with shoe shelves?
>>
File: Manual_mitre.jpg (134 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
Manual_mitre.jpg
134 KB, 600x360
>>936368
you need a mitre saw, not a hack saw. they have a still folded edge and long square section to give it rigidity so it doesnt bevel or twist. yes you must cut again, you can shave off the last few mm with sand paper if you are really shit at cutting straight.
>>
File: bah24414fine.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
bah24414fine.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
>>936368
You'd be better off with a toolbox saw or a tenon saw for smaller pieces, you should be able to get one for less than £10.

Make sure you mark the sides so you can see if you are cutting straight. If you don't have a square and can't measure accurately then use the shortest piece as a guide and cut to the same side as that.
>>
File: XMS15JACK_HANDLE.jpg (12 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
XMS15JACK_HANDLE.jpg
12 KB, 640x480
>>936392
Hot tip. The handle on a cross cut saw has a 90deg and 45deg marker for you to use the back of the blade as a set square or mitre gauge.
>>
>>936368
Line all the wood for one size plank together and so one end is flush. Cut the 1-2 cm off all of them while they are still lined up and touching each other. Don't let them move.

Repeat this for all sizes you have.

Set down the hacksaw and go watch a hundred hours of wood working videos on youtube. You need to git gud.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.