[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At the risk of being called a hipster, I'm going to ask
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Traditional_Alpargata.jpg (13 KB, 400x185) Image search: [Google]
Traditional_Alpargata.jpg
13 KB, 400x185
At the risk of being called a hipster, I'm going to ask for advice. I'm interested in constructing a pair of alpargatas/espadrilles because I have terribly flat feet and need flat shoes. I'm disinterested in buying a pair because it seems most retail versions are poorly-built, and I think I could build a better one. Other than a few videos on youtube, no one seems to have a guide or books on how to make these, but it seems simple enough:
1. Produce rope braid
2. Wind rope braid into sole shape
3. Bind sole with thread
4. Cut and sew upper onto sole

Does anyone here have any experience making these, or know any book(lets) I could look through for information?
>>
>>936222
>I'm disinterested in buying a pair because it seems most retail versions are poorly-built, and I think I could build a better one.
the retail versions are also dirt cheap, and for the effort and time you'd spend making a pair, you easily could buy 4 pairs, and just replace them once they're fucked.
>>
>>936343
I know that, but I'm still not fond of the idea of thinking of my shoes as consumables, and additionally I think it would be interesting to make a pair.
>>
>>936457
>thinking of my shoes as consumables

If that's the case you clearly dont get out enough for this to be an issue.
>>
>>936476
i thought this was the /diy/ board, not the "bitch about someones interests and try to turn them off to hobbies" board. Why don't you do something productive instead of projecting your own failures into every thread?
>>
Probably just reverse engineer them. Buy the cheap ones to learn to make the big ones. This will let you see what you like and would change in the design. Don't skimp on fabric, if you want them to be cooler for your feet I'd recommend something breathable like linen
>>
>>936509
Yeah, I think I will go do something productive, rather than waste time and money to make some garbage worthy shoes. That Chinese shit is still going to be higher quality than babby's first shoe.
>>
>>936222
if you have flat feet, you definitely do NOT want flat soled shoes. get some shoes with orthopedics or go buy some additional orthopedic inserts
>>
>>936738
OP here, I've tried this, and my feet hurt worse. I've visited an orthopedic doctor and they've just recommended flat shoes to me. I've compensated by exercising my feet. I run with running sandals instead of tennis shoes, too.

>>936562
I was considering canvas or linen for at least the heel and a toe patch depending on the design that I work out. I had strongly considered this route, but I'm worried the manufactured varieties will be too dissimilar (glued soles, machine-stitched uppers, etc.) to be of a lot of help.

>>936630
Why do you come to /diy/ if you don't want people to make stuff? No luthier starts out making a stradivarius, and I'm not going to learn what I did wrong by not wearing them.
>>
>>936222
fucking hipster
>>
>>936222
>I have terribly flat feet and need flat shoes

Oh god no

>>936738
This

Go into a a running shoe store and be fitted for some walking shoes.
Your overpronation is probably stressing your knees and hips more than you even know.

I have very high arches, so I over supinate real bad.

I never actually knew what comfortable shoes were until I got my Saucony's, its a huge difference if you have bad feet and have just worn just whatever all your life.
>>
>>936767
>I've visited an orthopedic doctor and they've just recommended flat shoes to me

I dont believe you, because thats literally the opposite of what people with flat feet need.
Throwing in Dr Scholls isnt the same as wearing the correct shoes.
>>
>>936773
Hmm, it could be biased by the fact that I'm otherwise healthy, and this is the clinic my mother's worked at for 25 years.

Now that I've discredited myself, though, it's irrelevant that I don't have foot pain.

>>936772
In high school I actually used to supinate slightly, but it was corrected through my athletics work. I run very straight now.

>>936769
I wish. Maybe then I'd have some friends.
>>
>>936775
Another anon with fallen arches. Seriously wtf. I have horrible horrible bone spurs in my foot because I didn't address my fallen arches until I was in my mid 20s. Orthotic inserts do help, but if I don't wear them it's excruciating.

You need to keep your arches up, it's the only way your foot functions properly.
>>
>>936775
>flat feet
>supinate slightly
>thinking you can fix bone structure with "athletic work"
>thinking that "flat shoes" means literally a flat sole instead of a neutral sole

You are so full of shit OP
Stop trying to justify it, just come out and say you want some faggot hipster shoes.
Its better than lying and flip flopping derailing your own thread
>>
>>936779
I never said I fixed the bone structure. I only fixed the habit. I also didn't mean to imply that I was an expert in shoe design. In fact, that's why I'm here.

>>936777
I think I'll have my feet looked at soon, then. I definitely don't want to have bone spurs. Thanks anon.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.