[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 19
File: 61YZU0QH6YL._SL1181_.jpg (118 KB, 1181x1181) Image search: [Google]
61YZU0QH6YL._SL1181_.jpg
118 KB, 1181x1181
Which one?
>>
I'm very excited for this thread. Where's the other pic?
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 340x265) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 340x265
>>935909
Best drill ever
>>
File: 61UBJY3EyvL._SL1181_.jpg (356 KB, 2256x1180) Image search: [Google]
61UBJY3EyvL._SL1181_.jpg
356 KB, 2256x1180
>>935911
Fuck, wrong picture.
>>
File: image.jpg (106 KB, 520x520) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106 KB, 520x520
>>
>>935912
That's not a drill.
>>
>>935914
This
>>
>>935918
>>935914
No.
>>
>>935920
Yes.
>>
>>935913
So, the question relates to?

Which one to buy?

Which one we think is better?

Define your terms.
>>
>>935914
This

>>935920
Spending all that money on buying an 18v lithium brushless drill, why would you buy one with a subpar chuck on it?

All the big name brushless are very similar.
The Milwaukee has the only decent chuck out of the group.
>>
Oh look, another shill thread.
We're about projects, not products.
Kindly fuck off.
>>
my friend has makita drill and impact. I have the Milwaukee drill and impact. Twice a year Milwaukee does $100 off when you have a trade in, but the place by my house doesn't require a trade in if you talk to them. They also gave me a free 3 amp battery. My friend is pissed he didn't get Milwaukee, cause mine runs longer and harder.
>>
>>935938
Meh, most of use like to buy shit more than we like to build shit
Its kinda like people over on /g/
>>
File: 1451773921465.jpg (174 KB, 650x684) Image search: [Google]
1451773921465.jpg
174 KB, 650x684
>>935937
>Milwaukee
Eurofag, never saw Milwaukee around here.
The drills are pretty much identical, one just has that "drill hammer" mode, which i thought was always pretty useless in comparison, i might be wrong though.
Any opinions?
>>
>>935942
My opinion on hammer drill vs non hammer drill?

I think people who opt for hammer drill in a cordless are wasting money.
You need a hammer drill, buy a corded 1/2 monster.

Drilling concrete masonry is the only use of a hammer drill, I would never do it on a cordless, and if you have to ask you will never either.
Save the 10$
>>
>>935944
Well, if i need to drill proper holes i just get my father's hilti rotary hammer.
I thought i ask because i might be missing something.
>>
>>935946
Hammer drills are fine for tapcons which is 90% of what I drill concrete for. Heck I even drilled a few 1/2" holes in a concrete slab for post anchors and my M18 FUEL did just fine.
>>
>>935944
Rotary hammer master race reporting in. You're right but I wish I got a cordless hammer drill anyway, if I have to do 1-3 pilot holes its less time than gwettin that tool box out and plugging it in.
>>
>>935944
If you compared the top models from the major companies, the difference between their hammer drill and regular drill is like $10-15. Why not spend that little extra and have the added functionality?
>>
>>935952
That's pretty much what they were made for, the largest hole I'd attempt is 1/4". There are cordless hammer drills that can do up to 1" i.e. HILTI TE6 but unless you do a lot of side jobs you can't justify the $700 price tag. They work awesome for tapcons though.
>>
>>935944

>TFW having to get out the 100 ft extension just to drill 2 holes in concrete
>>
>>935940
I don't believe that for a second. Either it's a low end makita or they're being used differently.

Also I have used Makita for the last 6 or so years. For the last 12 months I've been using the brushless drills and impact drivers paired with 18v 5ah batteries and I'd buy another tomorrow.

I bought a Bosch as a second drill as it was on offer. Returned the next day.

I'm very sceptical of the Milwaukee tools. Also the mention of a better chuck is moot. The chuck on my makita, that said all the makitas I've had have been faultless.

>>935944
You've never used a 36v hilti hammer drill then. Other than the fact batteries do eventually run out, my TE7A is on a par with any corded in its class.

Just to mention, those who think because a cordless drill has the 'hammer' icon on the gear selector, don't be fooled into thinking its actually hammer action. The higher end drills have it but I've never dreamed of using it. One way ticket to burn out city.

Oh and dewilt are just meme drills.
>>
>>936043
>The higher end drills have it but I've never dreamed of using it. One way ticket to burn out city.
Pretty much what concerned me, from what i know the effect is anemic at best.
>>
Jesus Christ I can never get over how fucking heinous Milwaukee and Makita tools are. Especially compared to the eye sex that are Ridgid tools.
>>
>>936056
>>936043
Pretty much the only use of hammer on cordless drills is for putting in wall plugs and various small holes, no bigger than 6-8mm really. But that is what a lot of people use it for so it's actually pretty good.
>>
>>936260
Wouldn't a normal drill do that too?
>>
>>936358
Not in concrete. At least not very efficiently multiple times.
>>
>>936056
I'm telling you once again. I put 1/2" holes in concrete for post anchors with my M18 FUEL and it didn't flinch. Actually performed much better than expected as I had only used it for 1/4" tapcons before.
>>
>>936186
Obvious shill is obvious.
>>
>>935909
mees takasin laudalle
>>
>>935958
I find the extra time it takes to plug in is good for realising that drilling holes in the wall might not be the right solution.
>>
File: 819315_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg (51 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
819315_LB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
51 KB, 1000x1000
>>936186

Every tool these days looks like some sort of starship troopers space ship.

With the exception of Fein.

The regular Fein tools look like they are a weight loss version of 1980's tools and even their ergonomic stuff looks non hazardous compared to all the spikes and supercool molding that come off of modern "ergo" tools.
>>
File: 53305-7049859.jpg (37 KB, 618x259) Image search: [Google]
53305-7049859.jpg
37 KB, 618x259
>>936416
>>
>>936395

Here all the walls are concrete. And it is difficult to hang a 150 lbs item with double sided tape.
>>
I'm very happy of my Bosch PSR18.
PROS
- 3 batteries
- powerful
- close speed control using trigger smoothly
- can drill in concrete as in butter

CONS
- heavier than PSR14 (but not that heavy)
- few details annoying for left-handed
>>
>>936363
I'm not doubting it's ability but I doubt it's ability to still do it after 12/18 months.
>>
>>936429
And if I did it daily for 12-18 months then you bet I'd buy a Hilti.
>>
Milwaukee Fuel 18
/thread
>>
>>936874
Bullshit.
>>
>>937896
Panther Piss.

Stick to your sub-par brands.
>>
>>937931
>sub-par brands
Yes, hilti is really shitty, so is makita and metabo.
>>
File: makita_blau.jpg (83 KB, 886x1126) Image search: [Google]
makita_blau.jpg
83 KB, 886x1126
Thinking about getting a Makita 6271DWAE.

Is it a meme?
>>
Ikea fixa cause poorfag
>>
File: thumbuptate.jpg (20 KB, 196x198) Image search: [Google]
thumbuptate.jpg
20 KB, 196x198
>>936435

Then Im left confused. It's capable but not great or what?

>>936874
Well obviously not.

>>938075
Haha. This guy is just amazing.

>>938086
I didn't even know they still made those. Don't bother. Go lithium.
>>
>>938095
>I didn't even know they still made those. Don't bother. Go lithium.

Even if I'm not doing any kind of hard work?
I just wanna drill wood, mostly. Nothing with any kind of special hardness.
>>
I'm pretty sure that if you're choosing between Makita and Milwaukee, the best choice is just to go with whatever brand you already have batteries for. I've used both lines almost entirely across the board and have absolutely no complaints about either.
>>
>>935976
The longer the cord, the shittier it is to wrap back up!
>>
>>938102
I can say it again if that'll help?
>>
>>938110
I was going to say that. I got a 10 pack of Milwaukee M18 batteries so I'm committed to that line.
I'm a little pissed that there is no M18 brad nailer yet tho.
>>
>>935941
How do you do, fellow /diy/ers.

Are you that new?
>>
>>938274
What is this post supposed to mean
>>
>>938200
WITNESSED

and soon my friend, very soon.
>>
>>938110
Makita batteries cost more individually and they don't run as many free battery promotions like Red does.
>>
>>935909
i vote yellow
>>
>>935958
The somewhat new Milwaukee m18 fuel sds outperforms the hilti and bosch corded rotary hammers
>>
Has anyone here ever had a Cordless drill trigger open in a way that enabled you to put it back together?

I'm playing around with a scrap bin Alphatools Cordless drill.
The motor, battery and driving transistor all look to be in perfectly good condition, the trigger however is melted.

The melting point however seems to be under the actual moving parts of the trigger, since mechanically it operates as it should.

Just looking into perhaps fixing it, as long as it's not epoxy'd

Posted in /ohm/ as well, but that thread already hit bump limit and it might fit in here a bit better.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 550x478) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 550x478
I took a plunge and splurged on this kit. I feared I was buying an overpriced Blackanddecker gimmick, but it is brilliant. I have not regretted it. Hammer drill is surprisingly capable, attachments sees a lot of use and I love being able to drive screws without a spinning chuck.
>>
>>938095
How do you not understand? It's a very capable and flexible tool but it's duty cycle is not rated for 8 hour days of large diameter hammer drilling.

Why is it that no one on DIY understand duty cycle?
>>
>>938517
nigger that isnt a drill!
... although i do love my dewalt
>>
File: hammer drill.jpg (16 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
hammer drill.jpg
16 KB, 300x225
>>938517
>>938557
sorry fucker, heres a drill
>>
>>938281
Even if what you say is true, by saying it, you dissuade people from figuring it out themselves and contribute to the cancer.
>>
>>938543
I a hammer drill, normal drill, 90° angle drill, but was is the lower right thing?

Also, model no on that thing?
>>
dewalt
>>
>>938429
Well I hope so.
>>
File: IMG_20160201_241306348.jpg (2 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160201_241306348.jpg
2 MB, 4160x2340
>>935909
Pick the right drill for the right job

I use pic related for 90% of everything, it's small, it's light, and it's got enough guts to do most things. I'll bust out the impact driver if I have big screws to get in. And I'll use my huge corded hammer drill if I have any heavy duty drilling to do, or if I'm doing lots of holes. But otherwise this is what I use.
>>
>>935909
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrERT1qv1Q
>>
buy festool t15 op
>>
>>938924
The only people who buy festool drills are festool fanboys who insist systainers are the be all and end all of modular storage.

There is literally no other reason to want or need to pay out for a festool drill. You'll pay more and get less in comparison to anything else. Literally anything else.

Festool make brilliant innovative tools and are worth everything because they've really monopolised their best products, but their appeal and warrant to spend money literally ends there. Their drills just aren't on a par with others on the professional market.
>>
>>938530
Hahahahahaha. Don't be so fucking stupid.
>>
File: ae235.jpg (7 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
ae235.jpg
7 KB, 290x290
Bought this little fucker a couple of weeks ago.
Very lightweight and packs a punch for it's size.
The compact head also makes it real nice for those tight places.

But I'm just an electrician, so I don't have to use it constantly.
>>
I just got an impact driver

The instructions say that it has variable speed to easily set your screws.

Is says do not use the variable speeds when driving the screws.

When I have my trigger pulled all the way down, its such a monster that I cant control it.
If I am running screws with it not being full throttle am I actually going to damage the tool?
>>
>>939972
It's got a variable speed trigger. It's perfectly fine to drive screws at any speed, until you stall, just don't ramp up the torque when you are halfway through driving a screw.

It's not going to fuck up your impact driver, but you can more easily slip, or pop out, or otherwise fuck up if you do change speed drastically. So you'll get the best results if you can just drive the screw at a steady pace.
>>
>>936416
>not wanting a starship troopers space ship tool

>>938644
>the lower right thing
I'm guessing a high speed rotary tool.

>>939972
>am I actually going to damage the tool?
When you drill/drive at a low speed, you're making the motor deliver the needed power at a lower RPM, which means that it draws more amps to do so (or draws heavy amps for a longer time than at a higher RPM). For intermittent use, this shouldn't be a problem, but sustained intense use would cause the motor to overheat more quickly than using full speed to do the same job.

When I drive screws with my impact driver, I usually start at full throttle, then back off right when they get tight, and gently tap them to the desired torque. Following a similar profile would be easier on the motor than doing it all at a slow speed. Just go as fast as you can control.
>>
File: 564579.jpg (19 KB, 265x265) Image search: [Google]
564579.jpg
19 KB, 265x265
No festool? faggots
>>
>>940168
It hurts to live.jpg
>>
>>938935
>festool
>systainer
>sortainer
I would literally never buy a thing from this company because their name and naming conventions are linguistically painful to me.
>>940099
>>939972
Also, part of why it heats up is that they stick a fan on the drive shaft. If you're going slowly, it's not moving a lot of air, so there's almost no cooling going on while the motor is building more heat than at higher rpm.
>>
>>940168
Drop that thing once and it is destroyed.
>>
>>940168
Because I'm going to pay 500 for a drill with a limited battery platform.
>>
>>938545

You're implying you're planning on holding the trigger for 8 hours straight under constant load. I know perfectly well what duty cycle is and how it's applied in a real world scenario.

>>940168
See
>>938935
>>
>>936043
Years ago I worked at sears and had to learn about who makes what drills and cordless power tools etc. Dewalt was all the rage and every young kid wanted a yellow drill. All the old men bought Milwaukee, Makita and Bosch, maybe a few Hitachi's. A company named T&O makes Craftsman, Skill, Black & Decker, Ryobi, Dewalt and Husky. They had two plants one considered low end and one considered high end. The high end plants made craftsman, Dewalt and Ryobi. While the lower end made Husky, skill and B&D. Dewalt has been a meme for along time, but people still pay out their ass for them.
>>
>>940099

Variable speed is variable amperage. The voltage doesn't vary so the amperage must. If voltage and amperage stayed consistent no matter the trigger position then you would get the exact same output.
>>
>>940422
>The voltage doesn't vary so the amperage must.
Both change. I=V/R and all that. Resistance also changes depending on the motor's load (a heavier load reduces resistance - an unloaded motor draws little current at full speed). Consider two situations in which a motor is made to supply a given torque to perform a job.

At high speed, a full-voltage power source drives high speed rotation, which gives the motor relatively high resistance, so the current draw is moderate under load, and the energy input is relatively efficiently transformed into useful output.

In a similar motor operating at low speed, the supply voltage has been lowered (resistor connected to variable speed trigger) so there is less overload capacity in delivering the torque demanded. The lower-speed rotation generates less internal resistance, so the current through the motor is higher despite the lower input voltage. This generates extra heat despite the lower amount of useful work being done.

The low-speed motor is operating closer to a stalling condition, where an electric motor draws maximum current.
>>
>>940168
Jesus christ what is that abomination? It's fucking disgusting.
>>
>>941156
Well, it's made for the woodworking queers.
>>
>>941670
Afraid of a little bit of fine woodworking?
>>
>>941673
Ur mum worked my wood pretty good.
>>
>>941673
It's more suited to...

oh wait no, it's shit.
>>
Once you go Marita you never go back
>>
>>942085
Actually I went
DeWalt to Makita to Milwaukee.
>>
>>940168
this is big and dense enough to be considered a weapon in britbongistan
>>
Porter cable master race
>>
>>942317
I have a corded porter cable impact driver, its pretty nice actually.
I havent bought into any cordless tools ecosystems yet, because I have pretty much everything I need in a corded tool.
>>
>>935944
I have the Makita with the hammer, it actually works. I also have a corded monster, but in the end I'm not using that almost at all anymore. Makita does the job in most cases just fine as long as you have the right technique (use both hands and push from behind).
>>
>>935914
>buying chinkwaulkee

Every tear down video and take apart of fagwaulkee tools especially the new ones Alison awful. AvE shits all over their tooks. Just because it's your favorite autistic red and black colors doesn't make them good tools.
>>
>>938935
Watch that hilarious AvE tear down of that festool saw.

Seriously hilarious and depressing for anyone who buys that garbage.
>>
File: pew pew.jpg (62 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pew pew.jpg
62 KB, 640x480
>>936416
>these days
>space ship
do you even?
>>
>>943142
>>
>>943165
>>
File: 080511-18-[1].jpg (127 KB, 963x799) Image search: [Google]
080511-18-[1].jpg
127 KB, 963x799
>>943166
>>
>>938644
looked it up, it's just an offset 1/4 inch driver...
>>
>>941890
I glued my biscuit into her slot if you know what i mean...
>>
>>943138
On the other hand, a YouTuber who pulls apart tools and shits on all modern tools doesn't suddenly make them bad tools.
>>
>>943138
Remember, the "buy american" meme, kept the big the Big Three in Detroit cranking out disposable vehicles at extortionist prices for over couple of decades (80s, 90s, and a bit into the 00s).

Use the shit that works.
>>
>>943198
>at extortionist prices
You are literally high.

American cars have always been far cheaper for performance than Japanese or European cars.
>>
>>943209
>American cars have always been far cheaper for performance than Japanese or European cars.
HAHAHA no. Not when you look at total cost of ownership.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.