[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any legal issues with getting a USB/PCI-e LTE adapter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: rotj endor shield emitter.jpg (23 KB, 636x288) Image search: [Google]
rotj endor shield emitter.jpg
23 KB, 636x288
Are there any legal issues with getting a USB/PCI-e LTE adapter for my home router (pfSense box) and building a huge fucking antenna to turn it into a fixed-WISP style client device? I'm thinking of doing this since I have unlimited cell data and Comcast sucks goat vomit through a bendy straw. Picture somewhat related.
>>
"Unlimited cell data" and unlimited cell data are often two very different things. Your connection's gonna get throttled to almost nothing pretty quick unless you have some arcane grandfathered-in plan.
>>
>>935745
I'm mostly nocturnal so even if I was tethering at line rate for six hours a day it wouldn't cause significant network congestion. I've telecommuted a ten hour shift via tethering before with no throttling. My plan does include unlimited data with no throttling.
>>
>>
>>935751
>fiber instead of cat6 or coax for an outdoor run
I'll take "ludicrously overcomplicated hackjob" for £500, Alex.
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 750x612) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 750x612
>>935757
Fiber doesn't shit the bed when it gets wet.
>>
>>935770
£11.79.. £1 a metre..
>(+ £3,000 for a splicer.)
>>
>>935777
Off by a factor of ten, friendo. Fusion splicers run $35k, at which point you might as well pay for fiber internet and for someone to run it professionally.
>>
>>935777
>+ £3,000 for a splicer

You do not need Fusion Splicer to terminate a short run of multimode fiber. You don't even need to terminate it yourself; there's plenty of places that will produce custom lengths, pre-terminated. Even silly lengths.
>>
>>935770
Not that it's better but burial rated shielded cat5e+ isn't hard to order either. It won't shit the bed in the rain. The bigger issue is mitigating lightning damage and cat5/6 doesn't have very good range.
>>
>>935757
If you're gonna run a cable anyway, why not a power cable too? Why put a battery on top of a pole? It seems like a normal extension cable would be a more robust and inexpensive.
>>
>>935757
Who are you and how do you know my name?
>>
>>935770
Neither does cheap cat5. You don't even have to go to the good stuff.

There's an outer sheathing that's waterproof, and the individual wires inside have an insulation that is also waterproof. These aren't paper, cotton or oakum insulation from WWII. These are modern plastics.

Just crimp your ends properly. Don't have the jack or end exposed to the outside weather (if you're designing this setup yourself, should be easy to do), and it is entirely weatherproof.

People who make their own underwater ROVs use cat5 for signal even. Although I think they vacuum out the air first.
>>
>>935786
>>>935777
>>+ £3,000 for a splicer
>
>Even silly lengths.
As a sysadmin, no length is a silly length. Spicing and ending is a tedious, frustrating job that makes your hands hurt, AND it's easy to screw up. If it's in the budget, I buy.
>>
>>935972
If you put down a power cable a gypsy might connect their caravan to it
>>
>>936922
The modern
plastic in normal cat5 is still totally permeable to water. If your running it outside underground you need to get burial rated cableor else that shit is gonna be gone in 5years.
>>
The fuck are splicers (whether 3 or 35k) so expensive anyway? Pre-bought lengths, it's (a) a fucking pain to work it all out in advance + (b) fiber would be a dream to pull.. but not with those fucking godawful connectors. All of them.

Shit could have ruled otherwise, why no cheap china splice, please? Fucks so complicated here at all?
>>
>>936946
Probably because they need to splice the fibre just right with very little room for error.
>>
>>936946
They have two micrometer tier servos, a microscope, a camera, auto alignment software, a battery.
Then you need to write software and do engineering for all that in a tiny tiny market with very little need to replace existing products.
>>
>>935743
You're limited by FCC regulations to 1W output power. I believe it's higher if you're using a directional antenna.
>>
File: rotj_emperor.jpg (15 KB, 608x272) Image search: [Google]
rotj_emperor.jpg
15 KB, 608x272
>>935743
>Picture somewhat related.

An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band.
>>
>>935783
>Fusion splicers run $35k

I work with single mode fibre in my job and can confirm you are talking straight out of your fucking ass. We buy brand new Fujikura 12S splicers (Nice splicers btw) for all of $3000NZD.

You could probably grab a second hand one for all of 1.5-2k.

>>936946
Splicer prices are dropping like a rock friend, it's just a bit niche at the moment. Once they hit sub 1k, expect to start seeing single mode EVERYWHERE. It's dirt cheap and like you say, fucking so easy to pull. You can bang a connectorised piece of fibre on the end in all of 5 minutes if you aren't totally shit at splicing.
>>
>>935757
>What is lightning strikes
>>
>>937242
>Pitiful little bandwidth
>>
>>937936
something that won't happen outside of a storm that will otherwise destroy the stupid man's setup.
>>
>>937936
>Not having a grounded gas-tube rj-45 lightning arrestor for your nice shielded cable.
>ishyyyyyyyyyyyygddt
>>
>>935743

>Comcast sucks goat vomit through a bendy straw

I used to think that. Then I learned the proper way to "bitch them out". I've had them retroactively refund me for 5 months of receiving less than the 25 Mbps I paid for, come install a brand new cable line and amplifier free of charge, come back out to install cable television with no $50 installation fee, and had them honor a 6 month old promotion for 75Mbps+Digital Starter.

You've got to learn how to deal with them.
>>
>>935746

What plan is that?
>>
>>937936
that is what the tool boxes are for, no?
old man sez, if it can protect tools, it can protect lightning
>>
>>939055
do tell?
>>
Nice idea
not
>>
>>941929
Verizon plz go
>>
>>935743

Like this thing:

https://imgur.com/a/lOmNF

From r/darknetplan ?
>>
File: 8nYzZ.jpg (388 KB, 1944x2916) Image search: [Google]
8nYzZ.jpg
388 KB, 1944x2916
>>943799

Shit, I forgot the picture.
>>
>>935743
>and building a huge fucking antenna to turn it into a fixed-WISP style client device?
FCC transmission regulations limit the allowed antenna gain on any part-15 transmitter.
>>
File: 1440550636257.jpg (86 KB, 560x749) Image search: [Google]
1440550636257.jpg
86 KB, 560x749
>>
>>936932
Good ol' wire soup.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.