[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Before....
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_2561.jpg (666 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2561.jpg
666 KB, 1632x1224
Before....
>>
File: IMG_2565.jpg (580 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2565.jpg
580 KB, 1224x1632
...and after
>>
File: IMG_2563.jpg (545 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2563.jpg
545 KB, 1632x1224
Wa la!

It's a caddy for my Dust Deputy/shop vac + a really awesome auto vacuum switch.

The fit and finish is really rough, yes. I can't use a jigsaw to save my life.
>>
File: KREG_R3-1-lg.jpg (76 KB, 380x267) Image search: [Google]
KREG_R3-1-lg.jpg
76 KB, 380x267
The bottom part is not quite done. I didn't want to spend the time to figure out exactly how much I'd have to cut away for the best fit, so I decided to cut the base roughly with the table saw, assemble it, then trim it later.

BTW, the Kreg pocket screw jig is a brilliant little thing. A masterpiece. Every diyer should have one.
>>
>>935596
>Wa la!

Is /ck/ leaking into other boards?
>>
>>935601
Sup, cu/ck/
>>
>>935597
>pocket hole
No. Fuck you and your shitty faux joinery.
>>
>>935607
I used to be like you, until I got one and started doing projects from start to finish in a day.
>>
>>935611
>projects start to finish in a day

I'd rather spend two days making a project using joints that won't fail in a strong breeze.
>>
so whats the point of the extra gadget to collect the debris from the equipment... dont those shop vacs come with filters that you slip over the foam filter to prevent the dust from escaping?
>>
>>935617

>he thinks that wood glue is good bonding
>>
>>935740
It is, if you pay attention to grain direction. A good glue joint is stronger than the wood around it.
>>
>>935742
Exactly.

You'll find furniture with proper joinery over 100 years old in good shape.

You'll find furniture with pocket hole joinery over 100 days old that are coming apart.
>>
Can we not get into some flame fest on jointery please?

To op; nice setup but I'd have upgraded to at least a trash can. My planer could fill that bucket in under 10 minutes.
>>
>>935752
Pocket holes are actually pretty damn strong irl. Mainly because of the large, washer-like screw head. Ordinary screws sink into the wood and countersink themselves.
>>
>>935607
It's cute when someone tries to act like a purist and talk down on something they dislike.

>>935742
Yes it is, and steel is stronger than both.

>>935752
>You'll find furniture with proper joinery over 100 years old in good shape.

A tiny fraction of 100 year old furniture has even survived. Most was just as shitty as the stuff made today, only the best pieces and ones well taken care of exist today.

>You'll find furniture with pocket hole joinery over 100 days old that are coming apart.

Ancient egyptians used pocket holes and dowels. You can still see examples of this in museums. So if 2000 years isn't enough for you, what is?

Pocket holes have their places just like doweling, dovetails, and mortise and tenons. Only a simpleton amateur would dismiss one type of joint.
>>
>>935734
Sawdust particles are much larger and easier to separate using a cyclone than other types of dust. With a Dust Deputy or some other cyclone as a first stage filter you really don't need to change a shop vac filter...ever
>>
>>935767
Large washer like screw head holding what ever is left of the wood you drilled out, you mean?

>>935788
>Museum
>found in a tomb
>not been used for centuries
>amazing, the pocket hole joinery is still holding up

It's almost like if I build a chair using pocket holes and glue and don't use it for 100 years, it's going to last, or something.

Oh the comment about being a purist or something, please don't. Pocket holes are shit, regardless of what I consider to be a good or bad joint.
>>
>>935827
Fuck off man, you're detailing a thread for a single pocket joint on something not under heavy load, not going to be sat on or carry more than twenty pounds. Check your autism buddy, it aint pretty.
>>
>>935827
Huh? A tiny core of wood drilled out for a screw doesn't decrease strength any more than a big ol hole would for a mortise. Pocket holes are of the stronger ways to join sheet goods. Stronger than biscuits, stronger than a rabbet, weaker than box joints, dovetails, or dowels but for simple shop carts you don't need tremendous strength. Pocket screws are a great option when the screw holes wont be conspicuous, enough said
>>
>>935884
Oh, btw. Not only are pocket holes ridiculously fast to make, you don't even need to clamp the thing together while the glue sets. Imho there are simply way too many advantages to using pocket holes (where they make sense) to avoid them. Go away, Matthias.
>>
>>935884
Who told you that? Kek
>>
OP here. My parents have a super high end dining table with a top made of solid walnut. It cost thousands of dorras.

Back when I got into woodworking I was curious for the first time about it, so I took a look underneath. The apron was joined with pocket holes. Lol. So yeah, basically, if it's strong enough to fit the design criteria and in a place where you can't see them, and you're not autistic I don't see a reason not to use them even when the work is made from ultra high end wood. Hell I use Brad nails on literally everything as well.
>>
>>936470
>The apron was joined with pocket holes.

Yeah, so is every other table manufactured by real furniture makers because, strangely enough, some people like to move their furniture without cutting the legs off. Only hipsters who have never build anything get a hardon for screwless construction.

>>935827
>>Museum
>>found in a tomb
>>not been used for centuries
>>amazing, the pocket hole joinery is still holding up

Because they strictly reserved the use of such furniture for use in tombs and the furniture was never actually used.

Protip, no furniture with glue joints will survive indefinitely. Hide glue, and glue types break down. That means your precious 100 year old chair will become brittle and break with age.

It's okay kid, you can pretend to be an expert to your mom. She won't call you out.
>>
>>935818

ah ok I see... so its just the first step to laziness :)
>>
>>935818
>>936553
Presumably you could put a Dyson tank in between the two, to catch all the stuff that's smaller than sawdust but bigger than bacteria.
>>
>>936578
I used to use a Dyson as a shop vac. The Dyson has much more powerful suction than any shop vac or dust collector (I have actually tried connecting the dust deputy to the Dyson as a first stage filter...the moment you block the hose the plastic bucket crumples like a wadded up piece of newsprint) but very low air volume. High torque, low volume motor. That's what I discovered about woodworking dust collection. You want to move a lot of air, not suck a golf ball through a garden hose. So this Ridgid shop vac works far better than my Dyson did for sawdust.

The Dyson canister is much more restrictive than a dust deputy, since it's designed to work with these super high torque Dyson motors and capture a lot more fine dust.

My two cents. The Dust Deputy was a worthwhile purchase.
>>
>>935595

if you attached this to the end of a fleshlight.. I bet that would be the best blowjob ever
>>
>>936732
breaking blood vessels and creating mechanical erectile dysfunction is not a fun time.
>>
>>936553
>its just the first step to laziness

Laziness my dick.

Cleaning a shop vac filter is total ass, and, worse, the things start to clog up really fast, especially with stuff like MDF dust. Don't even know why they make 12-gallon+ shop vacs. The filter's just about guaranteed to need cleaning long before the canister's anywhere near full.

The less anybody has to do of that crap, the better.
>>
>>936756
says someone who's never had the best organism ever
>>
pocket holes are not something a craftsman should sell.

for at home use sure why not
>>
Put a panty hose leg over your shop vac filter no matter what else you use. I don't replace filters any more, just peel off the panty hose. Ancient trick also used for off road vehicle air filters and on military trucks in desert warfare.
>>
I took the motor out from an vacuum that had hard to find dust bags. Then I rigged it to my cyclonic dust separator. The can was made of plastic. Even.on the lowest setting it imploded the can. So now I'm building it out of steel. It's soon going to be finished and the first tests show that it is the most powerful sucker I have encountered...
>>
>>937070
static pressure nigga
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.