[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stick welding thin material
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_20160125_032549.jpg (26 KB, 572x570) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160125_032549.jpg
26 KB, 572x570
So I need to weld some square tubing that is 1,5mm thick on the walls but I have little experience on welding thin material. I have a fine 130 amp inverter that can manage really low current without sticking. I normally use 2,5mm 6013's and that's the thinnest I can get around here.

Any tips or techniques you guys wanna share?
>>
>>935563
Personally I would never weld anything under 2mm using an arc welder, but if you are adamant try finding some 1.6mm 7014's to use. Do a quick google search and you should find heaps of forums with people asking pretty similar questions.
>>
You can try buying thinner sticks, like the other anon said, otherwise stick with the 2,5mm. A technique that works fine is doing small spots along the weld and then do a pass over them.
>>
>>935613
This. Make sure it's cool before welding on it again. Also, use DC negative for less penetration. I'd use MIG or TIG for something like that, but if all you have is stick, good luck. I've done similar stuff, but it's tricky.
>>
File: IMG_20160125_142638956.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160125_142638956.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
>>935613
>>935618
OP here. Tried the small spots technique with DC positive (60 amps) using 2,5mm 6013's and it worked fine, pic related.

Thanks for the tips.
>>
>>935855
>Dat porosity doe
>>
Heres a trick i use a lot, get a thick piece on the side get a small bead on the thick piece and then change to weld the thin one, what really fucks up your weld, is the heat build up on such a thin material, but with the tip already hot, you get a small bead and let it cool, repeat the process
>>
>>936810
>obvs due to lack of shielding gas :3
>>
>>936810
That's not porosity, that pick marks from when op attempted to chip the slag when it was red hot
>>
>>935855
>>937129
seriously guy, use that to scrape it AFTER its cooled.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.