[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Query: Are thre any safety concerns using a plug in lamp dimmer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: qestions.png (346 KB, 1048x460) Image search: [Google]
qestions.png
346 KB, 1048x460
Query: Are thre any safety concerns using a plug in lamp dimmer switch with other non lamp electronical appliances?

I have a cat founatin whose pump is too powerand it creates splashes which scares the cats. I was thinking of getting the dimmer switch to make it a trickle that wouldn't splash.

The wife bought it and while typing this, I know wonder what advantages the fountain has over a bowl.
>>
>>935230
yes if the dimmer is a chopper type thing which inevitably it is then it wont work with inductive loads which is exactly what a motor is. well, it will work but the dimmer will be under a much greater load and could melt and explode.
this is why things like dimmers and occupancy sensors have different ratings depending on the lamp technology, fl, cfl, halogen, led etc.
>>
>>935230
Those motors that come inside cat fountains are usually pretty small and low current and, if I recall, have a disconnect plug half way down the wire. With a little bit of calculation, you may be able to insert a resistor in to the disconnect plug to throttle the motor down a little by limiting the current to the motor.
>>
>>935237
Strike that. Even though that solution may still work, first things first. Remove the pump from the cat bowl and look for a small knob on it. Turn the knob all the way down and reinstall the pump. Problem solved.
>>
>>935240
Ps. My cats love the fountain bowl. It took a little while for them to warm up to it, but now they freakin love it.
>>
>>935230
>recycling old dirty shit water for your cats to drink.
build your own fountain out of a couple of tubberware containers, connect it to cold water supply and drain, use gate valve to reduce the flow, you only need a tiny amount. here there is a standing charge for water only, if you pay for your water by amount you can add a sprinkler valve and ir sensor to turn it off when no cats are around.

clean fresh water for your cats everyone is happy.
>>
>>935247

Dude...I luv tubberware shit...I went to a tubberware party once, and one of the chicks in the tubberware was just like polluted...no what i mean verne...anyways, long story short...I ass fucked her titties right there at the tubberware pardy with this like uge smack of peeps allarone an shitz...
>>
>>935247
disagree. dump out and refill water every week or so. fountain tricks cats into thinking water is fresh and aerates it so it does taste less flat/more fresh. hooking it up to new water will spike your water bill, and you have to worry about drainage.
A better solution would be to get out a drill and drill holes in the plastic column. more water outlets, lower water pressure, no splashes. drill too many/too big and the water will just dribble out though.

>>935232
has a point, inductive loads pulse so they spike the stress on the dimmer switch. However given the size of the motor, you would probably be fine with a lamp dimmer. those motors are often like 0.1 amp. it may drop the lifespan of the motor 20% though, because of uneven power. But >>935237 is a better solution if you have a soldering iron.
>>
>>935259
The fountain aeration thing is the same reason why many dogs like to drink out of the toilet, and many cats like to lick faucets for fresh water. The air bubbles in water settle out.and make it taste flatter/stale.
>>
>>935230
Wait wait wait. That image is telling me you want to electrocute cats - wtf is this fountain nonsense
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.