[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Oil drum drying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Drum_(container).jpg (97 KB, 800x986) Image search: [Google]
Drum_(container).jpg
97 KB, 800x986
Sup /diy/, I have pic related in my backyard used to store waste oil. My experience has been these always rust out the bottom well before they're full(currently has 80L in it). It's already elevated off the ground so it's not going to rust from being in the elements but rather from the water accumulated inside.

So I had the idea of periodically drying the contents by sticking it on a gas burner and heating it up to 150 C for an hour or so. My question is if this is going to bite me in the ass later on. First problem is the paint on the base is going to burn off and it will rust externally, that's easy to fix by just priming the base after each burn. The second is will I even be able to get it hot enough for long enough with a simple burner? And finally how dangerous is this going to be? (I don't have any way of dealing with a large oil fire besides not letting it become a fire in the first place by monitoring the temperature).

I know this sounds retarded but I want this oil to eventually be used in a waste oil powered foundry. So I need this disposable container to last many years.
>>
Use a plastic container instead
>>
>>934721
are those even compatible with mixed oils though? idk shit about plastics, they're also really expensive for no fucking reason($100 for 200L vs free for metal drums).
>>
>>934714
build your waste oil foundry now, and fill it up with oil as you accumulate it duh
>>
>>934714

Keep the drum elevated from the ground as you have know...get a 2'x2' (600mm x 600mm) piece of plywood/aspenite/somethingorother to keep the rain and snow off...

Do not, and I repeat ...DO NOT stick the barrel on a gas burner...barrel paint fumes being heated are toxic...a hot barrel is difficult to handle...you may in fact ignite your waste oil if your not properly measuring it's temperature...

It's like the big three trifecta of stupid...one of the three can injure you severly...all three can potentially kill...

Hope this helps anon...
>>
>>934714
Not experienced, but an idea.. if you use an aquarium pump or something to pump air into a tube at the bottom the air bubbles should eventually carry the moisture out. Worth a try?
>>
Get plastic barrels. Also unless you already weld and machine, a foundry is nearly useless and consumes time and effort which could be expended on getting tools which will be MUCH more to your advantage.

Two epic noob wastes of time are attempts to cast and blacksmith because the items produced aren't versatile and don't enhance your workshop in MOST cases.

FWIW I have lathe, mill, welders, and the skill to use them and still don't bother with casting.

Except for art it's easier to make weldments and machine them than hassle with casting.

There are MANY backyard casting websites and forums. Check them for the answers you seek. At least scrap prices are so low you can accumulate things like aluminum wheels inexpensively.
>>
You could probably put in a valve on the bottom to drain the water.
>>
>>934725
>are those even compatible with mixed oils though? idk shit about plastics, they're also really expensive for no fucking reason($100 for 200L vs free for metal drums).

Gas cans are made of HDPE and so are most plastic barrels.

I can always find free over very cheap plastic barrels around here. More so than metal since scrappers steal those.

Instead of using a gas burner, use an electrical heating element on the outside. Ideally with a check valve on the lid of the barrel so that moisture can escape but not get back in. Plus it will make an oxygen rarefied environment so no ignition.
>>
>>936482
They also make electric heaters for barrels. Called a band heater. Look them up.
>>
Heating waste oil to drive off water so you can burn it is stupid. Don't take your fuel from the very bottom of the barrel. Let the water separate by gravity.

There is ample info on waste oil handling and basic filteration online since waste oil heaters are common in businesses who have large volumes of oil.

If you want a container to last many years, you fucking do what industrial users do and obtain a container that is designed to last many years.

Want to succeed? Copy what works. Visit home casting forums. They have already solved all your potential problems and are happy to share what they know.
>>
Put some 3M plastic sheet stuff in the barrel.
>>
>>934714
Maybe this is stupid, but couldn't you just paint/coat the inside of the barrel with something that is oil and petroleum resistant?

I wouldn't try heating it; you'll probably do more harm than good to the barrel.
>>
A used barrel won't be suitable for internal coating because of residue.

Barrels are cheap. Stop wanting to put a shitload of effort into using the wrong barrel!

Alternate option, use an old home heating oil tank with a BOTTOM drain, then drain off the water/oil mix periodically and turn in for disposal.

Sometimes this poorfag obsession with poorfag solutions no matter how bad leads to MORE time and effort than doing it right the first time.

If you have to save waste oil in bad containers for years to melt metal, what is the fucking functional point of such fappery?

Instead, earn a little side money and get better equipment so you don't fucking die of old age before doing the work that the preparation was supposedly intended to facilitate!

The objective of a foundry is melting metal. The objective of melting metal has not been specified, but the best route to that END result should be thoughtfully considered.

Consideration doesn't cost money but can certainly SAVE money and time.

What, specifically, does OP intend to cast, what makes casting the best way to produce that particular shape, and what metal melting and casting methods are proven best to produce that shape? How many pieces are desired?

I don't care what you do, but I suggest you think it through or you are far less likely to get what YOU want.
>>
>>934714
what kind of waste oil?
oil usually has anti corrosive additives anyway. just store the drum off the dirt, put some wood slats under it.
>>
>>934714
If you're not going to be putting hot oil in it, just use a plastic barrel.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.