[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /diy/ Can I have some good resources on wood working? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: file.png (164 KB, 1937x1482) Image search: [Google]
file.png
164 KB, 1937x1482
Hi /diy/

Can I have some good resources on wood working?

I've bought a heap of 9mm MDF and some thicker supporting "beams", which will be used to attach pieces together and add structure/strength.

What I'm building is a cockpit enclosure. I'll use some good strength wood glue and either nails or screws. It'll be made from a side flat piece and a number of boxes to attach to.

If I can get some good material on good joints, things not to do, etc that'd be great.

PIC related
>>
>>934700
The best advice anyone can give you is, wear a fucking respirator when working with MDF
Use very high quality blades when cutting MDF, because cutting MDF is tough and dulls your shit quick.

9mm is really thin shit to be building something like that...
>>
>>934773
Nothing is going to be particularly structural or load bearing. Anything that may take a little extra abuse will have internal reinforcements, so it's cladding round a structure inside.

I'll keep a note on good blades and making sure to use a good vacuum system to capture all the dust etc, thanks.
>>
>>934700

If any of what you're doing is going to be outside or exposed to the elements, forget it. MDF soaks up moisture like kitchen towel. Weak as fuck when it's damp.
>>
>>934876
Indoor only. And by the end it won't be exposed mdf. Either painted or vinyl wrapped.
>>
>>934893
That's OK then man. MDF is good indoors but shit where moisture is present.
>>
>>934700
What kind of joints do you plan on doing?
>>
>>934972
My expectation is, a core piece of 21mmx36mm as an internal structure, the mdf glued and nailed to that. I also have metal corner brackets that could be used as an alternative
>>
>>934700
>cockpit enclosure
You the guy that was reupholstering that vintage cockpit seat a few months back?
>>
File: Untitled.png (169 KB, 939x739) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
169 KB, 939x739
>>935422
Also if you want to get fancy with it, I've got the outer trim of a cockpit measured and modeled
>>
>>935422
Nope, different guy. But any details I'd be interested
>>
>>935434
We've based our measurements of the cockpit on a book about typical distances a human would expect to be in for access to all the controls. The outer shell is very basic, so could be interesting to make it look the part from the outside. We've mainly focused on the inside aspect.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.