[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a cheap, effective, and non-permenant way to soundproof
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9
What's a cheap, effective, and non-permenant way to soundproof a room?

I was thinking of gluing foam to plastic poster sheets and just nailing them to the walls.

Like...a bunch of them side by side...
>>
File: 20111031013339.jpg (53 KB, 700x402) Image search: [Google]
20111031013339.jpg
53 KB, 700x402
Stuff like this with foam hot glue on to it.
>>
>>934674
fucking google it
>>
Oh look, this thread again.
>>
>>934674
just make traps with rockwool and a wooden frame.

Basstraps for the corners.

carpet/ wood on the ground.

BUDGET?
>>
>>934674
You can't. You'll just have to keep duct-taping the mouths of your victims while they're in you rape room.
>>
>>934674
You can never completely soundproof a room unless you go to complete extremes and make a dedicated purpose built sound room.

Your most effective solution is to use closed cell foam, the one that looks spikey. You can wrap it in a grass or cloth material to make it look less ugly. It'll dampen the sound from the inside, but will never make a soundproof room.

Again, my biggest gripe about /diy/ is nobody tells you what the situation is or what their goal is.
>>
>>934674
hang blankets on the wall

/thread
>>
File: 1394662599270.gif (307 KB, 200x100) Image search: [Google]
1394662599270.gif
307 KB, 200x100
>>934711
I want to make a little soundproof room in my basement for voice acting.

I just want a room where I can scream at the top of my lungs in cartoonish voices.

I also like playing and singing on guitar.

I just don't want neighbours walking around on their property then all the sudden hear bad impressions of the Mark Hamil's joker and think "wow I live next to a fucken dweeb".
>>
>>934718
Pretty autistic mate
>>
File: 1420183816063-0.gif (947 KB, 284x223) Image search: [Google]
1420183816063-0.gif
947 KB, 284x223
>>934722
>>
>>934674
>>934718
Only mass can stop sound. Foam doesn't soundproof at all. It will just reduce the echo inside the room. Without tearing apart the walls, you need some lead filled curtains or such.
>>
File: 1431218928906.png (22 KB, 1585x1527) Image search: [Google]
1431218928906.png
22 KB, 1585x1527
>>934742
>Without tearing apart the walls, you need some lead filled curtains or such.
>>
File: 36pulptray.jpg (16 KB, 300x288) Image search: [Google]
36pulptray.jpg
16 KB, 300x288
cover the walls with egg cartons
>>
File: 1419565608919.png (42 KB, 446x373) Image search: [Google]
1419565608919.png
42 KB, 446x373
>>934983
>>
>>934987
heh heh heh
>>
>>934982
I don't know what this shit means. Can someone help me with this?

I can tell you, your damn egg cartons aren't going to do crap. And lead lined curtains are a real product.
>>
Fine, I'll help.

>>934742
This guy has it right.

Best and cheapest way to to deaden sound in a room is to add mass.

Ideally you would add mass to all the walls, ceiling, and floor.

Since you will no doubt want to do this for cheap. Carpet throw some cheap carpet on the floor. It will absorb a lot of the sound.

Hang heavy curtains or fabrics around the parameter of the room. Blankets can be had pretty cheap at thrift stores. The thicker the better.

For the ceiling, drywall is your best bet but failing that you could also use fabric here. Staple it up.

The issue you might have with this is that it will deaden the sound but since you're voice acting, it might make it sound like total shit too.
>>
>>935026
Depending on the size of the room, you could also just add some furniture or any large bulky items.

A furnished room is quieter than a bare one.
>>
Egg cartons, I shut you not. Sound is reflection, the pattern of an egg carton, the side the eggs sit in does not allow sound to focus in any 1 direction when it bounces.
>>
>>935030
Which means it reduces echo, not transmission of sound into or out of the room through the walls. It's not the same thing as soundproofing.
>>
>>935065
I know. I had to correct people on this at the community radio station I volunteer at.

>it's NOT soundproofing! It's acoustic treatment,
>>
I had the idea of tacking fabric sheets to the ceiling, from their corners, which are allowed to "dome" down. Then I'd fill the dome with balls of scrunched up newspaper or something, to absorb some kinetic energy.

Is this a good idea or a crap one?
>>
>>935131
Its a crap idea.
>>
>>934718
Consider insulating a closet.

A rapper friend of mine records amazing vocals in a closet packed with clothes and blankets piled up on the door.

I'm sure the occasional siren or other loud, sharp noise interrupts occasionally, but I can't tell the difference between what he records at home and what he does in a real iso booth.
>>
>>935196
Like Blu-Tacking a burglar to a chair.
>>
>>934692
I wish I was 15 again pretending I knew shit about recording audio in my bedroom.
>>
>>935212
What?
>>
It does t worm like this. You have to basically build room within a room.
>>
>>934718
>wants to scream
>also nobody can hear him scream
http://www.maniacworld.com/Scream-Body.html
>>
>>934674
>cheap
>effective

Pick one.
>>
1x4 frame. Fill with rockwoll (rocksol safe and sound)

Cover with burlap with screen printed design.
>>
A friend of mine is a professional audio engineer. His solution to this problem was to buy a small prefab shed, which he soundproofed and assembled in his basement to create a soundproof booth.
>>
>>937296
>room inside a room
confirmed for most effective
your friend went balls out
>>
>>935027
First, Adding shit like blankets and bullshit are just going to dry up any reflections in the room otherwise creating a "dead stage". This is not going to help from his neighbors hearing OPs pleb bullshit. Instead it will create a good recording environment. What OP needs is a sound barrier like those used for drummers. Its essentially a tight little box made up of plexi glass and insulated by foam. This box will surround you and its essentially limiting the amount of air that is affected by your sound waves thus making your bullshit not audible to your neighbors.
>>
foam wont do shit for soundproofing. It makes the internal acoustics different, but from outside it will make very little difference.

hang heavy blankets from the walls, covering as much of the walls as possible in heavy blankets. this will have somewhat significant impact when listening from outside but FAR from reasonable soundproofing.

only real option for legit soundproofing is room within a room.

acoustic treatment is not soundproofing. eggcrate foam is shitty acoustic treatment. wedge foam is good acoustic treatment. both are shit soundproofing options

if you'r not likely to touch the walls, fiberglass insulation will help, and is easy to cover every inch of wall space
>>
start by sealing any obvious gaps like door frames and window seals.
>>
File: packaging-foam-canada[1].jpg (117 KB, 639x479) Image search: [Google]
packaging-foam-canada[1].jpg
117 KB, 639x479
packingfoam and eggcartons is the oldschool method.

doesn't do much for bass.
but more importantly they kill reverb.

my buddy rented a band room once and he started to tear some down because the room was too dead.
sound died instantly, like speaking in mid air.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.