[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Apple's MagSafe - good or bad idea? DIYable?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 1280px-MagSafe1.jpg (121 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1280px-MagSafe1.jpg
121 KB, 1280x960
Hello fellas.
Yesterday i realised that my laptp's chargeplug is grenade ring.
Remembered about MagSafe, and thought - what if implement that shiet by myself in laptop?

Tried to google - nothing like this, only apple things.

Tried to find any LAPTOP ports - zero results, only cables and plugs.

Does anybody tried to do such ting?

Magnet holding for chargers discussion thread go!
>>
>>934589
Hackaday has some shit

http://hackaday.com/2014/06/09/hacking-a-magsafe-connector-for-your-iphone/
http://hackaday.com/2014/05/02/magsafe-on-an-android-cats-and-dogs-living-together/
http://hackaday.com/2013/11/23/hacking-a-mac-magsafe-jack-into-a-pc-ultrabook/
http://hackaday.com/2010/02/14/homebrew-magsafe/
>>
File: 20160122000620.jpg (153 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
20160122000620.jpg
153 KB, 1600x1200
>>934590
kinda usefu links. Thanks.
but i want to implement it INSIDE of laptop hull, so it will not be ripped of by accident.
Sadly, there is not so much space on my laptop. PLus, its curved.. picrelated is my laptop. HP.
>>
I don't know anything about buying parts for this but I know apple took the idea from deep fryers which all have a magnetic cord so you don't dump boiling oil all over yourself. Maybe looking in that direction could help?
>>
I did this on mine. Removed one of the five usb ports by desoldering it, wired it up. Works well, only trouble is that if the pins don't line up while connecting, it shorts (the, magsafe has electronics to prevent this, obviously, but, my laptop used a different voltage so I removed them)
>>
>>934589
Yeah, it's simple enough to make, but Apple thought of it and Apple patented it, which is why you only see it in their products, and are having such trouble just buying one.

inb4 "that was obvious I could have thought of that": so why the fuck didn't you? Magnets and power leads have been around longer than Apple has.
>>
>>934603
thanx, googling.
>>
>>934605
[WarriorRocker] ?
it looks like it can be solved smooth - 2 small screws taht will hold magsafe on side of my laptop. but its will not be so elegant ias i wanted. But that way will not require any hull modifications..
>>
>>934603
sadly, its too big and shitty for my purproses.
>>
File: image.jpg (10 KB, 365x205) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
10 KB, 365x205
>>934589
If you want a similar thing, but implemented only using friction, the USB inline releases from the Xbox and Xbox 360 will probably do the job.

Stick one in your power cable a few inches downstream from the real connector, and it'll disconnect there first.
>>
In theory good but I can see this being problematic should it ever pick up ferrous dust and swarf.
>>
>>934635
AIUI, the port is magnetic and the plug merely ferrous.
>>
>>934624
these saved my 360 from my cat so many times.

My "smart" watch has a magnetic charger similar to OPs picture. Maybe look into that avenue as a possibility
>>
File: 42266686.jpg (19 KB, 520x360) Image search: [Google]
42266686.jpg
19 KB, 520x360
Do you only want a solution to the problem that a sudden pull on the cable could move your laptop, with all the disastrous consequences such a move might have, or do you want a magnetic connection "just because"?
If the former was the case, I'd simply cut the cable 10cm from the end and install an ordinary DC connector like pic related. These are not too hard to umate, so a pull on the cable will rather make the connectors umplug instead of moving your laptop.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (43 KB, 978x507) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
43 KB, 978x507
>>934589
its not "apples", chineese deepfryers have been using this kind of magnetic plug for years.
I want you to stop and consider the fact that apple has never invented anything, the term "iphone" wasnt even their idea. iInfogear made the "iphone" in the 1990's.
>>
>>934607
>Yeah, it's simple enough to make, but Apple thought of it and Apple patented it, which is why you only see it in their products, and are having such trouble just buying one.
I have a counter-top deep fryer made by Hamilton Beach that has a magnetic connector for the power cord. Mebbe Apple just got the patent for computer cables?

anyway you could make one externally (in the existing cord) way easier than you could make one hidden internally in the laptop
>>
>>934844
>>934837
Indeed. The fryers are mentioned in the patent.

The principle claims seem to be using pogopins and lands instead of prongs like the fryers do.
>>
>>934602
but the cool thing about magsafe is...safety. So if you pull accidently the cable, the conector wouldn't brake
>>
>>934880
Ive never "accidentally" ripped a device off of wherever its sitting.. I think the fact that they had to incorporate this in there to further childproof their devices just further shows the incompetency of their users.
>>
>>934883
>Jobless poorfag detected.
>>
>>934658
Yes exactly. You get that magnetic contact full of metallic shit and before you know it something is shorting out.

Doesn't matter which end is magnetic, same rules of physics apply
>>
>>934603
How does a magnetic plug stop you pouring oil over yourself?
>>
>>934933
Because when your oil catches fire and you're like oh shit and in your panic attempt to move the unit outside but forget to unplug the unit first.

>inb4 putting the lid on to smother the fire
>>
>>934938
Ah.
>>
>>934938
It's more so you don't accidentally yank the cord and slosh/dump it during while in use. Same reason the cords are very short.
>>
>>934941
Tomato, tomato
>>
>>934942
Tomahto, Tomaito
>>
>>934886
You habitually wave that shit around your laptop?

Anyhoo, you can't short Magsafe, because it only turns the power on when it detects the correct resistance across the pins.

The very worst thing that'll happen is that you need to pick some crud out your port.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.