[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are oscillating tools just meme tools or do these things actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: MX25E.png (192 KB, 914x491) Image search: [Google]
MX25E.png
192 KB, 914x491
Are oscillating tools just meme tools or do these things actually have decent functionality?
>>
File: 71mi6v[1].gif (22 KB, 750x750) Image search: [Google]
71mi6v[1].gif
22 KB, 750x750
>>
I have one, and I use it relatively often. It's nice for small sanding jobs and flush cutting/plunge cutting certain materials but the blades and attachments are really expensive for what you're getting.
>>
An expensive luxury, but fantastic nonetheless.

I use mine a lot for plunge cutting and not much else, but for that purpose it is brilliant.
>>
I bought one when renovating my mom's kitchen. I bought a cheapie and its good enough for the odd jobs I need it for every now and then. Easy to cut small amounts of wood and plastics. So useful? Yeah, but not a priority tool...
>>
It proved literally indispensable when I replaced some rotting trim back in the summer.

It all just depends on what you do.
>>
>>934505
The only time I've considered these useful is when removing grout or old silicon sealer as they are less aggressive than an angle grinder.

Beyond that they're just filling the void for people who are shit at DIY but hold their own skill level higher than a dremel.
>>
If you find yourself using a wood chisel often then it can be handy.

For most other projects and trades it will sit unused.
>>
Just make sure you buy a Fein
>>
I bought a $25 refurbished skil and a carbide rasp for it ( it came with a plunge cut blade). It can be a time and effort saver in certain limited applications. I keep it with my sander, and might get a nicer unit / more attachments when the hype over them dies (and the price goes down). Def not worth that mch
>>
>>934584
The first time I saw one of these, about 10 years ago, was a fein and I didn't have a clue what it was. I'd say if I were going to get one, I'd be inclined to stand next to the one that has stood the test of time.
>>
If you do plunge cutting it's nice.

Also good in some sanding applications.

Also grout removal.

Buy a harbor freight cheapy. I think I got mine for $10 on sale there and I've easily gotten $10 worth of work out of it.

The blades are expensive though.
>>
Used Bosch one loads putting sockets into plasterboard and plywood walls.

Gives you a really clean cut, after a few goes.

It's one of those tools that saves time on some tasks. If you've got the money and it's cheap then buy and practice with it.
>>
>>934506
I have no idea what this is but I like it a whole lot.
>>
>>934505
I use mine pretty frequently for finish carpentry and fitting floor molding to doorframes, etc. It's pretty useful, I got the Makita rechargeable one, so I can just use my regular Makita batteries on a job instead of screwing around with electrical cords.
>>
File: il_340x270.529178039_kypd.jpg (30 KB, 340x270) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.529178039_kypd.jpg
30 KB, 340x270
>>934505
on flooring installs i use the oscillating tool in place of a jamb saw, for cutting around outlets or plumbing, and for grout/tile removal. i have cut cut plastic with it as well, it was meh... i bought the dewalt 20v, because i have other dewalts

on a side note, how long until R34? pic semi-related
>>
>>934935
>on flooring installs i use the oscillating tool in place of a jamb saw
Seconding this
>>
Its the sort of tool that i reach for when I don't know what else will work.

Like this:

"How the fuck will i make that cut? Oh I know, my oscillator"
>>
>>934974
This

I use mine a lot for random repairs in strange locations. A fine woodworking tool it's not, but it beats the fuck out of slowly chipping out a divot with a pocketknife in the back corner under a sink so that one screw will fit.
>>
>>934505

I use mine between 3-4 times a week, mostly for sanding gel coat (the little triangle sander attachment is great), or for those hard to reach cuts.
>>
>>934505
they're really nice for plunge cuts and have a surprising amount of precision. I have an oscillating saw and a rotary saw. Both tools have places where they shine, and both have places where they are shit. There is a lot of overlap between the application of oscillating v rotary tools, but they do have unique uses from each other. It's all about knowing which tool is best for your needs.
>>
>>934935
I made a fucksaw adapter for the gf. She did not like it.

I imagine the oscillating might be a little meh unless you had a clit stimulation application.
>>
File: IMG_20160107_094848474.jpg (1 MB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160107_094848474.jpg
1 MB, 1456x2592
Mine sits on the same shelf as my recip and wormdrive saw.
>>
>>934505
they're great when you need them. I've been through a number of flush cut blades from use. only use when nothing else will fit/work. better on small bits (e.g. trim)

sanding is meh, it works but I don't like the velcro on sandpaper
>>
Like a lot of other people have said it does great in small cuts, plunge cuts, or when there isnt any other way to get into somewhere to cut other than with a hand tool. I have the cordless Milwaukee version, one of the tools other than impacts and drills to make the most sense as a cordless, as it will only be used in short amounts of time for small jobs 9/10 times.

If it were any more useful than it actually is, it would drain the fuck out of your wallet with the expensive ass blades it takes, and a couple missing teeth from hitting a nail or screw and the blade is pretty much fucked or will just burn through whatever it is trying to cut.

Useful when you need it in tight spaces, not a versatile as companies and advertising would make it out to be though imo.
>>
>>934578
>For most other projects and trades it will sit unused.

Man, no kidding. My father-in-law bought me one, and I tried using it one time. Turns out I have a box full of tools that do almost everything this thing does better than it.

Looks like it's gonna end up in the eBay pile ...
>>
Its like a Dremel. You never need it until that one project where nothing else works.
>>
>>934505
go to harbor freight and get there's for twenty bucks and go to home depot and buy a carbide blade which is another 20 bucks. goes through metal and wood at odd angles. worth having one. if doing flooring, its great to undercut doorjambs
>>
>>934515
i got mine at harbor freight for twenty bucks. works the same as the Fein tool
>>
>>937245
Drywall and flooring guys use them a lot for plunge cuts.

Tile setters and contractors use them to tear-outs.
>>
>>934647
This.

Blades aren't horribly unreasonable though.
>>
File: 885911314077_ca.jpg (56 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
885911314077_ca.jpg
56 KB, 900x900
>>934505
Removing caulk around the fifthwheel was a breeze with mine. The only powertool I never leave behind for the weekend.
>>
I use mine for cutting holes in the wall when I run low voltage cable in preexisting walls. Beats the hell out of a jab saw, and more control than a saws all.
>>
>>938147
dewilt plz go.
>>
>>938147
I TOO NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT MY DEWALT FELLOW /DIY/ POSTER!
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.