[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>it's an electrostatic wristband is required for this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1423198765143.jpg (72 KB, 709x765) Image search: [Google]
1423198765143.jpg
72 KB, 709x765
>it's an electrostatic wristband is required for this task episode
>>
>>934428
I was building a PC a while back, I actually zapped my GTX 980. I felt the static electricity and the pop.

Turns out it didnt actually hurt my video card, but boy it was scary. Done a lot of builds and PC work, first time id ever actually zapped something so clearly.
>>
>>934442
it's going to experience an early death
expect it
>>
>>934442
>I felt the static electricity and the pop.
>Turns out it didnt actually hurt my video card

You don't know shit about what ESD does to electronics do you?
>>
>>934428
Keep computer plugged in
turn off mains power switch
touch metal case to discharge any static before working
keep components in esd bag until ready

pretty fucking simple
>>
>>934891
I'm not the guy you replied to buy I don't, please enlighten me? I would have thought that if the card starts without error then you're in the clear. Are you saying that the card might be damaged without me even noticing.
Genuinely interested!
>>
>>934902
Please, don't. It's just another electrician troll who can't stand that his theory wasn't proven.
>>
>>934902
tl;dr: you can damage a gate and degrade its performance or make it way more likely to fail later without immediately destroying it.

http://fainstruments.com/PDF/eosesd93.pdf has some pretty pictures of partially-exploded transistors.

>>934906
[ ] not told
[x] told
>>
>>934902
the complexity of modern processors especially graphics its possible you pop some combination of gates that causes an intermittent fault that is rarely driven and goes undiscovered for a long time.
>>
>>934842
>>934891
I built it in late 2014, over a full year of heavy gaming and I havent seen any intermittent problems

Not too worried about it honestly.
>>
I'm this guy
>>934902

>>934934
>>934925
Thank you guys, good to know.
>>
>>934902
I ripped half a dozen resistors and/or diodes off a SB live. Never noticed a difference, but it probably sounded worse side by side with another sb live
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.