[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I hit the fucking mother lode today goddamn. Don't even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 14
File: 4L_CdUUUChk.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_CdUUUChk.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>
You cunting bastard arsebandit motherfucker.

I think what you have there is a PotatoPhone photograph.

but aside from that.

you have internal and external screw calipers, I beleive those are by Starret, and if so, they're fucking great tools.

there 4 micrometers there of various sizes, which are superb tools for accurate measurement.

the wood box, taps and dies, for screw cutting and thread-cutting on rod and holes respectively.
the round things with four holes in them are dies, which should mount into a sort of two-armed wrench. Each one should be punched with a number or letters. ie, 1/4 WW (1/4 inch Whitworth) or M6 (metric M6). Given the sizes, and the thread pitch on the taps (the screw-like pieces that are used to cut threads into holes), I expect they'll be non-metric.

the cardboard box looks like drill bits, all well stored. take one or two out and look and see if they have any name markings on them? Look to me like pillar drill bits, possibly with a 1MT taper on the ends.
>>
>>934367
the most useful stuff there (at least for me) would be the 0-3? mics, the dividers and center head/protractor/square/rule
>>
i know what all of that stuff is, and yeah, you did well op
>>
>>934367
All you're missing to make that set complete, precise, and totally useful is metric dial calipers... Joking! Whether you bought it cheap or it fell in your lap, good job anon! I'm jealous!
>>
Taps and dies and micrometers
>>
File: 4L_62eaIAco.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_62eaIAco.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>934372
Cool, thanks for the info!

These were in there too, just got to them. wtf I tried drilling a hole with one but it didn't work
>>
>>934402
Well now you're just trolling. Those are reamers. They're for making perfectly uniform holes.

Drill a hole almost to the size you want, then use a reamer to open it up just a little.
>>
>>934407
I'm assuming they're not for hand use, correct?

IE - need a drill press?
>>
Nice pickup but if you don't know what they are chances are you will never use any of it... except for the shifter and maybe the square?
>>
>>934402
You utter cunt. What I'd give for spiral flute reamers like those.

and in case you really are that clueless. tehy're used when you drill out a hole, to smooth the hole, or to widen it.

some are also used to shape a hole into a taper, to make what's called a taper pin, a fastening used in engineering.
>>
File: 4L_isngxJhx.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_isngxJhx.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
This was also there, they're unopened.
>>
File: 4L_UWHt36T5.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_UWHt36T5.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
1980 eh? Cool shit. Before I was born
>>
>>934422
Oh that is a rool for holding pizza, french fries, or a potato when it is too hot to hold by hand. Whats that doing in a toolbox?
>>
File: 4L_HafooU95.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_HafooU95.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Cool box!
>>
File: 4L_L3bEMUnt.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_L3bEMUnt.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Looks cool, but I can't read it, the numbers don't really make sense. Thinking of using the case for a nice harbor freight digital one where I can actually read the numbers
>>
>>934407
>>934419
Don't listen to these trolls OP, those are high speed friction bits. To make them work efficiently you have to have a lathe or mill capable of at least 7500 rpm, and they work the best with a fast feed rate, 6 inches/minute minimum, it's a horsepower/torque tradeoff thing. They got too expensive to produce, and Chinese machines just aren't up to the task anyway, so you don't see them much anymore, they really aren't worth much to you. I'll gladly take them off your hands for whatever your cost was. Email me, OP.
>>
File: 1450050177235.jpg (104 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1450050177235.jpg
104 KB, 612x612
>>934430
>Thinking of using the case for a nice harbor freight digital one where I can actually read the numbers
>>
File: 900.jpg (25 KB, 379x289) Image search: [Google]
900.jpg
25 KB, 379x289
>>934431

for OP, just in case he's stupid enough to listen to the colossal dickhead who'd wanting to either have you break them, or make a quick buck.

go read this.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reamer
>>
File: ack-ack-ackack-ack.jpg (80 KB, 415x420) Image search: [Google]
ack-ack-ackack-ack.jpg
80 KB, 415x420
>>934430
> Thinking of using the case for a nice harbor freight digital one where I can actually read the numbers

Please be a troll.
>>
>>934430
'nice' 'harbor freight' pick ONE
>>
>>934435
I'm pretty sure OP has a clue what those are, and if you ever frequent other diy/how-to boards you'll recognize the "that sucks, give it to me" routine as a well intentioned joke immediately. It's a joke dude, calm your tits and let me get back to salivating and living vicariously over OP's haul!

>>934430
Who would've thought being able to add 25 would suddenly be so cool and important?
>>
File: 4L_aALBscKz.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_aALBscKz.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Close up of the box of screws and taps
>>
>>934431
Email sent. I'm feeling nice so I won't charge shipping
>>
File: 4L_CvHxHzAp.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_CvHxHzAp.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
The cardboard box wasn't drill bits by the way, they're flat at the end. All of them.
>>
File: 4L_XFcujRV4.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_XFcujRV4.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
See?
>>
>>934441
OP, you're a cheeky bastard trolling us all, aren't you? My money is on you being a machinist that either had a buddy/mentor retire and give this stuff to you, or you hit an auction and picked it up for cheap.
>>
>>934443
>>934446
A bunch of end mills huh.

>>934447
This is most likely true
>>
File: 1u83jfh.png (38 KB, 275x414) Image search: [Google]
1u83jfh.png
38 KB, 275x414
>>934375
>i know what all of that stuff is, and yeah, you did well op
did he tho? depends on how much he paid and how much he needed anything there...

some of it you can get pretty cheap from China or Harbor Freight
some of the taps and reamers is visibly dull or dinged up... some show rust and pitting (junk)
some of the dies are solid (not split),,, so aren't adjustable, and may be not-useful thread sizes (whitworth, bsf, ba, various conduit or pipe threads ect--stuff that is really only useful for making parts for vintage machinery)

HSS end mills that size can be had for <$5 new, <$2 for ebay stubby regrinds
the big vernier caliper would be useful, but new China ones only cost $30

stuff like this isn't necessarily valuable, just old (nice display pieces but often not good to use)
for free it would be a pretty good deal, but I would not pay anything for "mystery boxes of old machinist stuff" unless I could look through it all first
there's a lot of crap out there not worth dragging home
>>
5 micrometers
2 small hole gages
2 calipers
a machinist square
protractor
taps
thread chasing dies
lot of endmills
reamers

decent depending on how much you paid for

>>934447
its probably toolbox auction bro , he posts his toolbox hauls all the time
>>
>>934430
the numbers read the same as the other 5 micrometers
>>
File: mfw.jpg (696 KB, 1200x1704) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
696 KB, 1200x1704
>>934367
OP, your picture gives me a raging boner.
>>
Where did ¥ou score that stuff
>>
>>934449
Ah ha. Now it all makes sense. I've been lurking for a while and haven't seen this, kinda surprised. I still like looking at this shit though, and wish I had some of it myself!
>>
>>934849
Nope, not me. Weather has been shit up where I live for a few months, so no sales. Going to one later today that is advertised as have having lots of tools so that might change.
>>
>>935033
This was supposed to be a response to >>934849. Wow, late night for me.
>>
>>934430
Good bait. Good.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.