[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sensory Deprivation Chambers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
I have been looking into building my own since the price for a hour or so in these things is about 75$ in my area.

I found these plans (http://www.scribd.com/doc/21770753/Float-Tank-Plans) but feel they can be improved upon.

also looking for an alternate heating rig that might have better control. Thanks
>>
What is all the PVC and pump equipment for? To act as a mini jacuzzi?

All you really need is a vessel to hold water, and a drain for said water. Theres a number of ways to do that including building it with hotmop similar to a shower stall, gunnite similarly to a pool.

I've never been a fan of baths and have never done a sensory deprivation chamber, so I assume you float for an hour as meditation? Would the chamber really need a circulation or heating system, or is that a convenience thing?

Where do you plan on putting this thing thats likely 50% bigger than a bathroom jacuzzi tub?
>>
>>934187
>I've never been a fan of baths and have never done a sensory deprivation chamber, so I assume you float for an hour as meditation? Would the chamber really need a circulation or heating system, or is that a convenience thing?

The whole point is that the water temp is very near body temp so it removes the sensation of hot/cold. You're trying to remove your senses.

Circulation system is generally to clean it, but if OP is the only one using it, you could massively skimp since no health codes. Salt water is a bad environment for bacteria.

You also need to use a LOT of epsom salts.
>>
>>934187
>What is all the PVC and pump equipment for? To act as a mini jacuzzi?
sensory deprivation chambers are filled with brine--basically water that is saturated with salt.
so you need a heater to keep it warm, and you need a filter system to filter the brine acceptably or else it gets scummy quick.
Plus the filter system has to be all-plastic; no metals will last long in that kind of salt solution. Most parts from a normal pool or hot tub filter won't work.

we have discussed these things before.
For a single-person tank, usually the tank itself holds around 1200 lbs of water and then you need to add about 2,500 lbs of salt.

There are spun HDPE agricultural tanks that are acceptably sized, but you'd have to cut an entrance hole in the top. Many of the larger ones have cleaning ports but it's not really big enough to get into the tank through. Cost for the tanks is $800 - $1000.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.