[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /diy/, I have some old kitchen drawers that i'd like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
hey /diy/,

I have some old kitchen drawers that i'd like repainted. Question is, can I use wall paint or is it not safe for food utensils?
>>
>>989959
oil based paint is best unless you can get your hands on some lead oxide based paint. anything else will give you cancer.
>>
>>989959

I assume you're painting the entire drawer and not just the drawer fronts if you're concerned about contact with utensils. The best paint I've used, although expensive is called Reclaim. Its around $120 per gallon, but I only needed one gallon for the kitchen drawer fronts and cabinet doors i did. Its very forgiving if your prep and cleaning of the cabinets isnt perfect, especially on old grease covered wood. Its super thick and self levels pretty well so it doesnt show brush lines or roller marks, makes cabinets look brand new when its all done. But other than that I would just use a good bonding primer after scrubbing and sanding the drawers and finish with latex paint and call it a day.

I'm a carpenter by trade, not a painter...but this>>989964 guy is a fucking moron
>>
>>989988
I just wanted some information about whether wall paint is safe for contact with utensils. I'll look into your product tho.

Is there anything on the label that would indicate it's safe for being near edible products?
>>
>>989959
>painting stained wood
Don't It never looks right. Also getting kitchen cabinets clean enough to accept paint is a super huge paint in the ass. Either replace the doors or change the stain to make it lighter/darker. Honestly updating the cabinet doors would go a much longer way to updating the kitchen then painting them.
>>
>>989959
for the outside, sure....I don't know why anyone would paint the inside of a drawer, the only time you see it is between opening and closing

I would suggest perhaps using wallpaper for the inside....otherwise just leave it be; regardless of the finish, any paint is going to get seriously scratched up
>>
>>989959

There are 'Food approved' finishes...those are usyally for stuff like salad bowls and the like...I used to do stuff for the angel tree in my area, and I would build rocking horses that looked like Harleys...I would use the 'food grade' finish on them...

A typical latex paint is just fine for your purpose...just don't eat directly off it, or start chewing on the materials...you'll be just fine...
>>
>>989995
inside. not outside... why would I worry about food utensils if im painting the outside of the drawer?
>>
>>990066

Why don't you just use drawer liners? They're easy to routinely clean too.
>>
>>989959
It doesn't really matter if it's safe for utensils. The outside of the cabinets have exactly as much effect on your food as the walls do, by which I mean to say no effect.

By all means, try to paint it with wall paint, it won't make you sick. But like the other anons pointed out, it will be difficult and probably not turn out as pretty as other options (which others suggested)
>>
>>990218
inside of drawers. not outside.
>>
>>990389
You don't paint the inside of drawers. If someone painted the inside of your drawers they were an idiot. Get a drawer liner or a drawer organizer.
>>
>>989995
You've never attempted the things you're describing in your post. Stop acting like you know what you're talking about.

I just primed and painted my kitchen cabinets with just a little cleaning and zero sanding. They look great.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.