[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I guess this is the most appropriate board to have this thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: uniden digital.jpg (38 KB, 272x1088) Image search: [Google]
uniden digital.jpg
38 KB, 272x1088
I guess this is the most appropriate board to have this thread.

Anyone into scanners?

Use to listen to Police a lot, but they went digital in my area about a month ago. Pretty sure they're encrypted, but thinking of getting a digital scanner anyway, since it's easier to use/program/organise/etc. Probably going to lay down $300 on one of these.
>>
>>934039
what kind of phone is that?
does it run android?
>>
>>934039
>>>/g/ - Technology will probably get better results.
>>
File: baofenguv5rv2_main.jpg (609 KB, 1229x3012) Image search: [Google]
baofenguv5rv2_main.jpg
609 KB, 1229x3012
>>934039
I use a Baofeng UV-5R v2+ for scanning, NOAA weather alerts, and FM commercial radio. My old man's got a Radioshack Pro-528 receiver that I used to tinker with - that could pick up trunked frequencies and could pick up State Police comms.
>>
>>934039
i just listen to my police scanner app on my phone... it was free but there're ads.
>>
>>934039
/out/ also likes radios
>>
>>934039
>Pretty sure they're encrypted,

Pretty rare. Encryption usually causes more problems with communication reliability than emergency response people are willing to put up with. Probably just trunked/digital.

Check out http://www.radioreference.com/
>>
>>934160
>live on the Jersey shore
>check my local frequencies on Radio Reference
>Police dispatch (Encrypted)
>Police Secondary (Encrypted)
>EMS dispatch (Encrypted)
>check next town over
>Police dispatch (Encrypted)
>Police Secondary (Encrypted)
>EMS dispatch (Encrypted)
"Rare" my ass
>>
>>934184
>"Rare" my ass

I still say it's rare when you look at the entire USA. But when one department in an area goes encrypted, they usually all do. Most trunking systems are shared by entire counties.

>live on the Jersey shore

Mob territory. No wonder the police encrypt.
>>
>>934160
Already a member of RR. Debating whether to sign up for premium for the direct radio program download. Anyone a premium member?
>>
Before I get started, most municipal services ARE NOT ENCRYPTED! 99 times out of 100, they just went digital. And generally that means they moved to P25.

if you want to listen cheap, and to do so on your computer, get a RTL-SDR. You can find them for a few dollars on eBay and such. If you want to listen to analog, and are on PC use SDR#. Here's a guide on digital modes with RTL-SDR.

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-radio-scanner-tutorial-decoding-digital-voice-p25-with-dsd/

You really don't have to spend money. If you don't want to spend hours on end scanning from 26MHz to, well, mine goes to about 1.3GHz, use:

www.radioreference.com/

to pull up the frequencies in your area. Also, pay attention to the antenna plug style. You can make your own antennas. Sure receiving isn't too hard to make but a good yagi (directional) antenna, you can hit various satellites. Not much better than getting live SAT images. NOAA is famous for that.
>>
What is wrong with the FCC database?

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchGeographic.jsp
>>
>>934537
While it does allow you to search for different agencies and such, Radio Reference allows to to sort by different means like businesses, agencies, and so on all on one page in your area. It's much faster and the older frequencies, while unused but still licensed aren't often included. It also gives you information on the input frequencies, PL tones used, and general info. If you want more information such as allotted numbers, transmission power, registration information, or to ID an unknown frequency, the FCC site is fine for that.

Example: I want to see which frequency the Chicago Police use for their 1st district, radio reference will kick back:

Freq............Lisence....Type..Tone.......AlphaTag...........Description................................................Mode....Use

460.15000 | KSJ745 | RM | 114.8 PL | ChiPD Zone 4 | Police Dispatch Zone 4 - Districts 1 18 | FMN | Law Dispatch

Under the FCC, that frequency in registered under the Chicago OEMC as a mobile relay. 200 watt power, 460 watt Max ERP.

Not much info to go off of.
>>
>>934517
Came here to say this
Thanks friend
>>
>>934090
Whats the difference between the v2+ and the normal Plus?
>>
>>934835
milspec plastic and plating, same electronics
>>
>>934048
kek
>>
>>934039
I love my 396t. I have the bcd436 and its absolute shit
>>
I know next to nothing about comms, but ask this on /k/. Guys know their stuff when it comes to radios. several regulars on there have their licence.
>>
>>935462
I'm right here and I have my ticket. Besides, this is mainly about receiving and not transmitting, two different things.
>>
>>934039
live in a small town where everyone knows everyone I enjoy listening to my scanner and seeinf what kind of niggetry locals are up to, I have learned all of the 10 codes and other codes for the area so that makes it more fun
>>
>>935750
Currently a possible suicide a park ranger is on scene waiting for back up before he goes to look for the guy
>>
>>936013
Domestic disturbance on my end - boyfriend won't let the girlfriend leave, no drugs or alcohol involved, no weapons in the house.
>>
>>936017
suicide guy is in custody, everybody is 10-4 state unit that was in route has backed down but still proceeding that way.
>>
Make a Twitterfeed.
Do it fucking judgemental like these posts
10/10 would follow
>>
>>936804
There are online streams of similar on broadcastify.

Earlier today here there were lots of fire brigades sending truck to a ship to be deployed interstate here in Australia.
>>
How hard is it to actually /diy/ a scanner?
After all it is possible to build a transistor radio with very few knowledge, so why not a scanner?
>>
>>937033
It's kind of hard to a point. A scanner is used to scan a fairly large portion of the spectrum. Building a receiver to receive a small portion is a bit easy, however, the broad spectrum a scanner is capable of is much more difficult.
>>
>>934056
>/g/ consumerism, tin foil faggot and shills
Nope, not at all
>>
>>937033
Additionally while shortwave stuff is fairly simple and a kit can be had for $10-60 on eBay, police/fire/EMS stuff is all up in the VHF/UHF bands. A "scanner kit" would basically be a RTL-SDR and a tablet in a enclosure.
>>
>>938329
>muh spooky widows 10 board
Pretty useless board
>>
>>934383
Not really needed, I use Freescan for my 246T and 346XT. Copy-paste the tables, yeah it takes some work but does work. My 436HP is ZIP code based, thankfully I can program it manually like the previous versions, otherwise it decides to scan ALL of Dallas (and Statewide channels, and Federal channels) which is nice but a pain.

>>934090
I use a UV82 for Dallas police and fire, dual band so I can pick up the Sheriff on VHF as well. Probably should get my ham license, battery lasts FOREVER since all I do is receive.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.