[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Upgrades for elec furnace for lower elec bill
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
What part in my elec furnace can I replace to make my unit more efficient, lower bills? Pic related
Please read below..

You go us always seem to know everything about hvac/mechanical systems so I'm gonna run this by u. Long story short
I own a 2 family building
I lived up stairs while renovating bottom unit. Too unit had an existing hvac system about 6 years old total, when I bought the place. This unit does not seem that efficient stl winters would run me 300 dollars in elec bills, all elec.
Now I live in bottom unit, I picked out the system, high efficiency, also a heat pump. My bills r running more like 100-120.
I have upper unit rented they had a elec bill 300 mine 115 , I think it's my furnace how can I upgrade the upstairs unit furnace to make it more energy efficient, what parts do I replace?
>>
You just answered your own question, replace the electric furnace with something that isn't an inefficient piece of shit.
>>
Generally I would always recommend doing upgrades to piping. A thick wrap would help insulate the pipes that carry you heat and water to their destination. As far as mods to the unit... In not sure really.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Another pic... Any gurus out there?
>>
>>933860
A heat pump is about 3 times more efficient than regular electric heating, so your numbers make sense.
>>
>>933860
Electric is electric, Its 1:1, Meaning whatever BTU u generate with the electric furnace you will pay for it. It has an even "COP". If you really want an upgrade it would Be to change to a Gaz furnace.
An electric furnace is literally the same as baseboard heaters. You do not save any money exept you do generally have a better comfort if the instalation has been properly done.
Depending on the instalation it is probally possible to add a heat pump coil, and then you will start saving. My main language isnt english, but i hope that helps
>>
>>933898
This unit does not have a heat pump.

Also I'm looking for a way to upgrade what I have, it is not more than 7 years old, an it is not feasible to replace as it still works. My concern is that it causes high electric bills what can I do to upgrade the existing system? My thought are that the furnace may be too small
>>
>>933901
This guys right

Electric heat is always 100% efficient so unless you go to something other then electric, like gas or heat pump, you won't fix anything.

Maybe look into upgrading windows and insulation? Not sure what condition they're in but it's cheaper to keep the heat in the building then produce more of it.
>>
>>934085
>what can I do to upgrade the existing system
Nothing. See the First Law of Thermodynamics.

Electric heaters are already ~0.0001% efficient: almost every drop of electrical energy consumed by them is converted into heat.

There's been no big improvement to electric heating since it was invented, because any such improvement would be creating energy out of nothing.

You could, I guess, get a big plasma TV and a big amp and that way get entertainment and heating from the same electrons.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.