[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone know what this plugs into..? It's attached to a floor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 36e3190e.jpg (18 KB, 479x479) Image search: [Google]
36e3190e.jpg
18 KB, 479x479
Anyone know what this plugs into..? It's attached to a floor lamp.
>>
>>933477

looks like an RCA connector for audio

maybe its one of those lights that dance to the music. plug it into your stereo audio out and turn it on and see what happens
>>
>>933601
Since when do RCA connectors have plastic rings with a metal tip? It's clearly a male center pin DC plug (think nokia charger), no doubt this plugged into a power brick to run the light.

OP, pretty unlikely you'll find a brick to suit it, you'll need check the lamp for power ratings (a sticker on the underside of the base that tells you the power consumption of the unit) find a matching wall wart, splice it in and you're done. You're gunna need to open the lamp to work out whether that plug is supposed to be center positive or center negative; If there is no power rating sticker on it have a look at the voltage regulator in use while you have the thing apart, this should give you an idea of its requirements. Post pics of the component side of the PCB (if it has one) and an overall view of the lamp if this makes no sense.
>>
>>933601
>looks like an RCA connector for audio

Or something similar. I've actually seen IKEA lamps that used RCA connectors for their 12V connection from wall wart to lamp cord. Bad idea. Imagine digging around in that rats nest of cables behind the audio equipment and connecting your phono input to a 12Vac source.

>>933605
>You're gunna need to open the lamp to work out whether that plug is supposed to be center positive or center negative;

If it's a low voltage lamp (incandescent), they offten run on AC. No positive or negative. They also 'float' the 12 Vac with respect to mains grounding, so there is no hot/neutral to worry about.
>>
>>933605

WELL EXCUSE THE FUCK OUT OF ME... from the shitty picture it looks like an RCA connector.
>>
>>933477

>>933605
>It's clearly a male center pin DC plug (think nokia charger), no doubt this plugged into a power brick to run the light.

op, did say floor lamp.. maybe there was not enough outlets and the previous owner did some nigger rigging and put a cell phone charger transformer inside the base of the floor lamp tied directly into the same cord that comes out of the floor lamp into the wall..

what kind of "floor lamp" are you talking about exactly op?
>>
>>933477
Have you attempted an anus?
>>
>>934780
Or a urethra
>>
>>933477
Looks like a standard barrel connector with a custom molding.

This suggests that there is a non standard voltage on that connector, possibly AC and the plastic shroud prevents you from connecting it to a piece of equipment that it was never designed for.

What does the power supply say on its label?
>>
>>935693
There's no such thing as a standard voltage for barrel connectors.

I'd imagine the shroud makes it look nice when it's plugged into the device it's designed for.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.