[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So the bathtub faucet has been leaking but my shower head is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 2016-01-20 06.23.50.jpg (1 MB, 1901x1069) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-20 06.23.50.jpg
1 MB, 1901x1069
So the bathtub faucet has been leaking but my shower head is fine. Since Im covered under warranty, I had a plumber look at it. He said in order to fix the faucet I will have to have someone come and remove the whole wall of tile. What I expected to be a simple cartridge replacement turns out to be a whole different fiasco. Should I remove the tile myself or try to replace the cartridge myself instead? Pic related.
>>
>>933063
What's behind that wall? You could just cut behind, and install an acces panel. And get the opinion of another plumber just in case.
>>
>>933072
This, take the drywall down behind it.
That is unless your faucet faces the outside wall then you are screwed.
>>
>>933063
technically you dont have to remove the whole wall of tile, but he probably wants to keep the color/ aged look of the tile the same.

removing and installing a new shower diverter is doable for a novice /diy/. if you could get to it from a drywall angle like >>933072 suggests it would be a lot easier

removing and installing new tile is probably too hard. removing the current tiles and drywall and prepping the new surface for tiles after you fix it is not trivial.
>>
Wouldn't need to break the tile that is there. Use a multi tool or Dremel and cut the wall out around the grout line, do what you need to do to the plumbing , remove wall and adhesive off old tile. Patch wall and replace tile
>>
>>933063
I'm a bit confused by the plumber wanting a small section of the wall removed in order to do the repair unless the whole diverter valve unit is somehow at fault. If a merely dripping faucet is just the problem, a replacement cartridge should (hopefully) solve the issue. The old cartridge pulls out at the front and the new one is pushed back in place. A retaining pin (depending upon the manufacturer) is usually used to keep it in place.

If it were me, I'd try fixing it myself with a replacement cartridge and see what happens. It would be quite a pain in the ass to remove a section of your wall and then later find out it was never necessary to do. You'll possibly void your warranty if you did this, though. I'm not saying your plumber is wrong either, but it just seems odd to me.
>>
>>933063
>cartridge replacement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg5CdQgzscI
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.