[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how expensive/difficult is it to get into robotics? I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2
File: 1452024756017.jpg (395 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
1452024756017.jpg
395 KB, 2048x1536
how expensive/difficult is it to get into robotics?
I'm interested in learning python, can you write them in that?
>>
>>932820
Depends on what you mean by "get into robotics"

If you mean as a hobby programming little toy arms they probably sell some you can program in python or use some sort of interpreter.

If you mean as a robotics programmer for industrial robots, read this article (http://robohub.org/the-future-of-robot-off-line-programming/) and then decide if you think you can gain the skills required. And it will probably be too expensive for you to do as a hobby.

If you mean how difficult is it to make a walking talking humanoid robot butler with natural language recognition, machine vision, force feedback and self awareness then unless you are rich as bill gates and as smart as a couple of Von Neumanns, Einsteins, Plancks or etcetera then it is going to be far too difficult and expensive for you.
>>
>>932820
been a hobby of mine for years. I've built several. If you are hobbying it, go to robot shop and build a few kits first. You ain't gonna build an R2D2 though. Think smart trainable cockroach.
>>
File: 4-modles-lego-mindstorms-ev3.png (400 KB, 950x500) Image search: [Google]
4-modles-lego-mindstorms-ev3.png
400 KB, 950x500
>>932820
Maybe start with a Lego Mindstorm kit and work from there.

You can flash a Mindstorm controller brick with a Java interpreter called LeJOS, then write your code in Java.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeJOS

source: Did a Masters in AI and wrote a thesis on using Mindstorms to teach Behavioural Robotics to final year CompSci students

tfw: Your lab partner takes a nap against the wall and you position nine lego trike-bots to assault him in his sleep and turn them all on
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.