[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can I find one of these that's not the internet/Homebrew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: glass.jpg (3 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
glass.jpg
3 KB, 225x225
Where can I find one of these that's not the internet/Homebrew store?

I thought maybe Home Depot would have some lying around, but was mistaken. I don't want to pay the 20$ shipping and am switching to my second fermentation in a week.

Pleaes help.
>>
>>932802
off the back of a Poland Springs truck.
>>
File: rossi.jpg (98 KB, 800x714) Image search: [Google]
rossi.jpg
98 KB, 800x714
>>932802
just use some old carloss rossi jugs, that is what i use along with a 10 brew starter kit from target
>>
You MIGHT find 3-5 gallon glass jugs at an antique or home decor store, apparently some get sold as vases.
But realistically the only other option besides going through a homebrew store is using a plastic water bottle. Try finding a local homebrew supply or craigslist if you don't wanna pay shipping.
>>
Walmart wells those refillable plastic carboys for water dispensers
>>
>>932802
Old pharmacy / chemical supply houses have them. I got one from Upjohn when they were throwing a bunch out.
>>
>>932802
Just use a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a lid, cut a small hole, and I nsert an airlock. It will work exactly the same.

>source: home brewing for 5 years
>>
>>933008
ideally food grade plastic, hdpe. However, some hdpe buckets have a mold release agent added to them (to help them pop off the mold when being cast), which can be toxic. Call manufacturer to find out. But honestly not a huge price jump, like $6 for food grade instead of $3-4
>>
Don't most supermarkets carry 10 gallon bottles for water coolers? I'd imagine those are food grade.
>>
>>932802
It sounds like you went about it backwards. You should use the cheap plastic one for your primary fermentation (go get the 5 gallon water bottle from supermarket as previously mentioned ) then use your good glass one for secondary fermentation. I used to do that myself, but eventually inherited enough glass ones from the local home brew club that I use all glass now.

The up side of using plastic for the primary is that they are cheap, practically disposable, and won't crack if you pour in wort that is still a little too hot.
>>
>>932802

I know those are used for wine making (the real kind from grapes). Check Italian supermarkets or wholesalers and see if they have wine making supplies.
>>
>>933823
No, that's PET not HDPE, it shouldn't even be recycled after holding water let alone alcohol and potentially vinegar if you fuck it up
>>
>>933087
>ideally food grade plastic, hdpe.
isnt PP beter in that case?
I don't think you can reuse the HDPE, PP is easier to clean and does not "absorb" (sorry i could not think of the right English word) micro organisms like other plastics.
>>
>>932802
I've got two 5gal glass carboys from estate sales.
They are few and far between
>>
Please be careful when picking them out, I ran across some the other day at Walmart that were thin walled decorative junk.
>>
>>934488
They were glass?
>>
currently brewing a 2gal wine test batch in one of these. the jar is what im testing, not the wine. sofar everything is going very well
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.