[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bending wood
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 37I4JIHA76.jpg (3 MB, 3999x2662) Image search: [Google]
37I4JIHA76.jpg
3 MB, 3999x2662
I've glued two pieces of veneer together, sanded them and drilled them. I need to put a slight bend in the wood so that they can sit nice on a hat.

Please advise.
>>
Typically bends are added via steaming or soaking the wood and letting it dry in a jig. Since you've already glued, I'm not sure anon.
>>
>>932682
There's a new yankee workshop about this.

http://newyankeeworkshop.net/getproduct.php?910
>>
>>932693
Why does every anon on hear suggest steam bending.

Just build layers up over a form.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXAeLwJ8fcw
>>
>>932682
Shoulda' bent it BEFORE you glued it. I assume it's an asshat that you're making.
>>
>>932840
Steam bending is for solid pieces of wood. I regularly bend 2x2" pieces of solid oak with steam.

For veneer, you soak in water and bend and glue. The water in this case is just to keep the thin veneer from cracking.
>>
>>932840
>build up layers

i dont think anon wants lbs of wood on his hat
>>
>>932909
... the layers are like 1/32". so you end up with a 1/4" rigidly bent piece of wood out of 4 pieces. which will be like 2 ounces of wood.
>>
Why are you making a hat out of wood?
>>
we're making tags for clothing. If the wood gets wet it goes flexible. when it dries will it go brittle? is there a way of waterproofing the wood after its in shape? We've never worked with such thin wood.
>>
>>934637
You could do some sort of resin impregnation.

OR

Consider just making them thicker and rigid.

I laser cut out a bunch of wood tags in 1/8" Walnut for a local artist.
>>
>>934641
How much do you charge for that? It could be a solution. and I need somebody who is able to laser wood for a small business i run.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.