[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I recently moved and the cabinets had an awful 3 layers of black
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1453154904494-1497698039.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
1453154904494-1497698039.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1152
I recently moved and the cabinets had an awful 3 layers of black paint, no primer. On certain areas when I strip it the grain seems to literally peel off making it look like plywood like pic related. How can I fix this and continue stripping?
>>
I used citristrip if that helps
>>
>>932211
Looks like youre removing some sort of verneer?
>>
>>932222
What is that
>>
File: veneer-roll.jpg (10 KB, 289x351) Image search: [Google]
veneer-roll.jpg
10 KB, 289x351
>>932223
Theres some types that are iron on, a little bit like melamine, much like what you'd find on kitchen counter tops, or they are paper thin sheets of wood, normally some sort of exotic hardwood, or any hardwood for that.

They apply a verneer as it can ber alot more decorative than cheaper hardwood ply.
>>
>>932226
Oharight, thank you. So what, I strip the paint and verneer and I will be able to buy another sheet of it to put on my cabinet?
>>
>>932227
You can apply your own yes, I'm not sure how well it will work though, depending on skill level.

Most are done in a workshop under vacuum pressure. https://youtu.be/UMok_-H1ljs

I've also got no idea why I keep typing 'verneer'. Veneer.
>>
>>932227
Buy a cabinet skin for the sides, cut to size and glue. Good luck on redoing the veneer on the face, and I hope you can find a stain to match the doors.

They need to be painted again. You're not going to get a good "wood" look out of those cabinets, it would be much easier to paint them a solid color.
>>
>>933294
You could paint on a false wood grain after painting on a white base:
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/make-and-decorate/decorating/how-to-paint-a-faux-wood-grain
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.