[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DIY internet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: richard guy.jpg (158 KB, 306x892) Image search: [Google]
richard guy.jpg
158 KB, 306x892
Alright /diy/, I was Googling how to make your own internet connection, and this was the first thing to pop up. Some Brit farmer made pic related for himself.

Is it really that easy? A 4G reciever, a battery, a solar charger, some water proof toolboxes, some cheap lumber, and fiber optic cables? It honestly seems too easy, like I'm missing something. Help me out, /diy/.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3200291/Farmer-sick-poor-internet-signal-built-DIY-mast.html

Here's his website: http://www.agri-broadband.co.uk/

Thoughts?
>>
>>931365
>that easy
Like $180/month for 4g service? I guess that's easy ?

All that shit was necessary. He could have just got an antenna for his 4g pack and put a nice antenna on his roof.

That tower of fuck he made needs some guy wires because there is no way those thin pieces of wood can support all that shit.

Better diy would be a wokfi relay/network of people that want internet going back I to town until you get within range of a fiber build out and paying LOD fees for development to your small business and sending the fat fiber bandwidth down the line.
>>
>>931365
Will work, however to get that 4G with decent data limit will be expensive. And routing that 4G to fiber might not be that easy, also have to get back from fiber to normal when in house. Still, very feasible. But hey, they also sell 4G receivers that output normal ethernet cable, so you could make it even easier.
>>
>>931365
> how to make your own internet connection
I- I don't understand.

help this is breaking my brain.
>>
He built a mast. Thats it. Also a very weird and illogical one.
>>
why the fuck is the battery up there.
>>
>>931368
>$180/month for 4g
What? You can get an unlimited 4g plan for £20-25, from like a dozen different providers.

As for his mast, completely agreed, it's a clusterfuck, no idea why it's newsworthy.
>>
File: HTB1Or0cHXXXXXX.XpXXq6xXFXXXs.jpg (88 KB, 687x942) Image search: [Google]
HTB1Or0cHXXXXXX.XpXXq6xXFXXXs.jpg
88 KB, 687x942
>>931372
That was my thought too...I can think of many other things I would use instead of toolboxes...these are the first things that come to mind...very solid, and made for this purpose.
>>
>>931365
>battery at the top

kek

Also, that's just a range extender/reception enhancer, it doesn't serve as an ISP.

>>931376
I live in the USA. No 4G in my area at all. Barely any type of cellular connection actually. USA is mostly 3rd world level tech and shit. Didn't have high speed internet until 3 years ago. It'd been dial-up. 3...years....ago, nothing but dialup. Think about that.

I don't even own a cell phone of any kind.
>>
>>931387
>No 4G in my area at all.
Fair enough, I'm assuming you're in a more rural area then? I guess it's pretty different, seeing as the UK is tiny, making total 4G coverage much more achievable.
>>
>>931376
US wireless service is fucked, m8.

There aren't any unlimited plans to be had (that are actually unlimited LTE, there are several that claim to be unlimited, but they will drop you to HSPA after X gigabytes)

So you're left paying overage charges over and over again, so your 'normal' $80-$100/month plan ends up at $180 easy.
>>
>>931368
Whatcha talking about, I used to get 4G/LTE for €30 a month, unlimited usage. Three network in Ireland.

Used to set my episode downloading on the morning bus and it was ready well in time for lunch

Europe is great, reallg
>>
I legit know somebody who currently has an AirFiber mounted on a building near his house, which is then doing a couple of miles to the nearest town (to a second AirFiber) and onto a virtual ethernet circuit to a large city.

This is only a temporary solution until later in the year when he'll dig 1 mile of fiber across a farmer's field and into a roadside cabinet that he's erecting himself, and then he'll VDSL a couple of hundred feet to the exchange.

So if you've got a couple of thousand lying around, there's two options.
>>
>>931387
>Also, that's just a range extender/reception enhancer, it doesn't serve as an ISP.

If he's using 4G then the mobile (cell) network operator is the ISP.

If you do your own point-point range extender then you've just got to get to somewhere where you can connect to a modem or router of some description, which may be harder but usually isn't too hard.
>>
>>931365
This is seriously one of the worst tower designs ever. Why would you put the heaviest component at the very tip top of the tower, especially when it could easily rest on the ground? Do you put the heaviest books on the top shelf of the book case too?

Next, you decide to put the item that should be at the very tip top (the antenna) squarely in the middle.

Finally, you have a rickety old *fixed* shelf for the solar cells, completely forgetting about the fact that they will likely have to be moved over the course of the year.

This whole design is literally pants on head retarded. I can't believe this guy knows how to use a computer.
>>
Notice how the box at the top is smaller than the one underneath, it might suggest that the photo is labelled incorrectly.

Related: Broadband for Rural North
>http://b4rn.org.uk/
>>
>>931365
It is that easy. Just don't do a fucked up setup like that.... If you are running fibre optics maybe take power from your house? Run maybe 12 (24?)V and plug the 4g receiver (which should be an USB one!) in a car charger.
The you don't need to muck around with solar panels and shit!
>>
what a stupid uneducated nigger.
>>
>>931467
>If you are running fibre optics maybe take power from your house?

Isn't the fiber optic the incoming internet and the 4g the outgoing internet to his house? So no lines to his house. He's just using the 4G network as a repeater.
>>
>>931489
>Isn't the fiber optic the incoming internet
Fibre to the premises is very uncommon in the UK, most people still rely on a copper pair even for the more common FTTC connections.
>>
>>931435
Its just a proof of concept. Obviously there are flaws but the assumption is that anyone trying to do it would understand how to work out all the kinks. The point of having everything on the stand is so everything fits in the Camera Shot.
>>
>>931489
>the 4g the outgoing internet to his house?

How do you think that works? He can't just decide to set up his own 4G network and start transmitting data. Do you have any idea how much equipment and how expensive something like a 4G cell tower is?

It's a 4G modem out on the edge of a field where it gets a signal and then he's back-hauling it to his house with the fiber. This isn't complicated.
>>
>>931376
America here, The only wireless company I've heard of having unlimited data is some company I cant remember the name of cause their coverage sucks and they don't even sell in my area.

Also I cant think of a single internet service provider that lets you have unlimited bandwidth besides dsl, which isn't even available in my area anymore either.

tldr: as far as I know we don't have unlimited data for anything anymore.
>>
>>931387
>battery at the top
>kek
Right.. he should have put the battery under the solar panel so gravity would just make the electrons fall into the battery.. the way he did it, he is wasting electric pushing the electrons against gravity up to the battery.

all bullshit aside yea, that battery is probably heavy as fuck and needs to be at the bottom so its not top heavy and the wifi transceiver should be at the top because of muh antenna height.

>>931365
I give that thing less than a year before it topples over. he should have added a third leg and maybe even some steel wires to keep it from crashing into the road.
also its top heavy as fuck with the buttery at the very top.
>>
>>931792
>he should have added a third leg and maybe even

He should have used a steel pole, properly embedded & anchored into concrete, with the equipment properly clamped in place.

That wooden job will fall apart before it falls over.
>>
>>931790
California here, Still have unlimited they're "trying it out" I.E trying to slowly roll it out to keep everyone from getting pissed off at once.
1 Not gonna work people are already setting up petitions.
2 The second it hits California, heads will roll.
3 Google is making a power-play with fiber-optics.
NEVER GIVE UP! haha
>>
Solar power in the uk. What a pleb.
>>
>>931365
wow. he built an upside down antenna. what a genius.
>>
>>931908
I'm east coast. I was under the impression I had unlimited until they charged me around $400 for going over the cap. They claim they "forgave" the "offense" the first two time, but I never heard a word about it.
on top of that when I experience a ddos attack lasting hours - days, my isp will give me a run around instead of releasing my ip and letting me get a new one.. because their lease time is over 3 fucking days.
They claim ignorance about the existence of ddos attacks, and ultimately will refuse to do anything besides put in a service order to have a new modem installed.. iirc at a fee of course.

I only have two options in my area, and they are only cable.. dsl no longer exists here.
Now I know dsl sucks but I wanted a dynamic ip, aswell as that low low monthly payment.

The other company has an even lower monthly bandwidth cap. There are 5 people in this house, I don't know where all of the data is being used, but I'm afraid to download anything.

I'm not too big on gaymin, but a single game now will blow through 1/6 of the entire bandwidth allowance for the entire month, and companies are trying to get rid of discs and physical media all together if favor of downloading everything.. fuck that.
>>
File: 1422245687916.png (71 KB, 612x396) Image search: [Google]
1422245687916.png
71 KB, 612x396
>>932124
take me back to those limewire days, just after I'd upgraded to Hi-Speed DSL and could download AN ENTIRE MOVIE IN ONLY 5 HOURS!
>>
I'm sure it works great if you live in that one obscure area where rural 4G isn't just a myth.
>>
I have 4G coverage almost exclusively where I tend to move around. I think my phone's plan is unlimited 4G data, unlimited minutes and unlimited texts. I don't know how much it costs, maybe 25 or 29€. Under 30 anyway. So cheap that i dont bother knowing.
Unlimited data with 3G is 14€, I have a WiFi 3g-dongle here at home as the approximately 7megs it gives is enough for surfin at home...
>>
Silly cunt should have stuck to growing shit on his farm.

Most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.
>>
File: NeighborSeptix.jpg (350 KB, 1916x928) Image search: [Google]
NeighborSeptix.jpg
350 KB, 1916x928
>>931365
...but is that thing legal in the first place?
>>
>>932239
Why do you think it wouldn't be legal?
>>
>>932242
>Why do you think it wouldn't be legal?

Law abiding citizen don't even think about going broadband.
>>
>>931498
The idiot bought fucking fiberoptic for his shitty 60Mb connection.
>>
>>931790
ntelos. I have them and yes the coverage is fuck terrible. It only works in the city. I have to use a cellphone booster to get decent speeds at home. its only unlimited 3g with mild throttling after 5 gigs. I abuse the fuck out of it.

Op you can either use some high gain antennas for wifi and have two of them pointing at each other and use the neighbors or you can get at at home 3g/4g booster and use cellphone internet. Satellite sucks but exede has unlimited nights and high data caps.
>>
>>931374
My bet is that is isn't and some newspaper reporter fucked up the diagram.
>>
>>932264
The guy who built this thing is a mong, I agree there, but.

>fiber tends to be about the same price if not cheaper and typically more durable and easier to use than copper in outdoor environments, but only if it's installed correctly, which it is not in this photo.
>>
>>932242
Well it was england.. so he probably has to pay some fees and buy a few licenses, and about a half dozen permits.
so no, not untill he gets everything done through the proper channels.
>>
>>932264
He almost certainly used fiber for range and not for bandwidth.
What's the problem?

>>932301
I don't expect a random IT guy to know how to set up cables outdoors. Unless the umbrella of IT has suddenly expanded to include "the cable guy"
>>
File: Finished.jpg (341 KB, 1024x1820) Image search: [Google]
Finished.jpg
341 KB, 1024x1820
There are a few doing similar here in Aus.
>>
>>932140
I know people that have dsl right now that get over 7mbps. compared to what allot of people get with cable internet thats actually average.
even though Im suppose to get 50 mbps it still takes 5 hours to download movies allot of times, depends on the time of the day.

and before you reply with seeds.. I know how seeds/peers works.
>>
>>932364
A fiber rated for internal use in a server room flapping in the wind isn't installed correctly, anyone should be able to see that. You can just tell there ain't no quality with the installation with it flapping around like that. It's crazy. How much does a bag of zip ties cost? Fuck.

Yes. Fiber optic good for outside. Don't need to worry about lightning, or voltage ground reference differentials, or range for most applications. Fiber is extremely common even in small businesses now because it's so much better to run between buildings.
>>
>>932364
Really it's as simple as keeping it out of direct sunlight.
Fiber isn't as effected as coax to everything else, but will degrade just as fast under UV attack.
Unlike coax there's no wire to corrode and no dielectric to get wet. The line impedance is no longer an issue, too.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.