[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello everyone. I want to know how to make grow-in-water toys.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
Hello everyone. I want to know how to make grow-in-water toys. I have experience using silicone and resin and I have a 3d printer to work with. I already have the matrix for the toy, but I don't really know wich material I must use and how. I can't find any intructions of making it and wikipedia says they are made from a superabsorbent polymer, but doesn't say wich one. My only source says they are maded of polyacrylonitrile, ethylene glycol and glycerol, but -again- doesn't say how to combine them.

Can someone help me or direct me with a link?
>>
Update: I find a new recipe:

"[...] a mixture of sodium polyacrylate, polyvinyl acetate (a polymer used as a binder) and ethylene vinyl acetate (a polymer used to mold the toy into whatever shape it’s supposed to be)."
>>
>>931259
I think they are just regular foam, compressed and coated with a glycerol and ethylene glycol shell (which dissolves in water). I could be thinking of a different one.
>>
>>931318

thanks for the response
>>
>>931318
you're wrong. they shrink again when you dry them out.
>>
>>931433

Any grow-in-water toy that I know shrinks again when it comes out the water, but it takes about one entire day.
>>
>>931307
I was interested in this a while back.

I think EVA plays a key part because higher concentrations of Vinyl/Acetate in an Elastomer will increase water permeability.

I wondered if Silicone might work, it has a water permeability of 1% its volume. Although it isn't as inert as EVA.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.