[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone oxidized wood here? My wife wants furniture like pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1.jpg (275 KB, 1600x1062) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
275 KB, 1600x1062
Anyone oxidized wood here? My wife wants furniture like pic related, but I have all the tools and saws needed to make them myself. Saving a few hundred dollars per piece and picking up an old hobby sounds good to me.

Anyway, we've got some steel wool in a jar with vinegar sitting right now, but I'm wondering if any of you have experience or tips that could come in handy.

Wood finishing general I guess?
>>
>>931094
Use a sponge brush. Apply it uniformly and liberally. After a few minutes wipe it off with a paper towel so it finishes uniformly. Flat surfaces that collect the vinegar can get darker than vertical surface that drain.

Most importantly test it on scrap pieces of wood from your project. I made a coffee table out of some cheap 2x10 d.fir surfaced perfectly smooth and after three or four applications it was a deep rich ebony like color.

Maple goes to a maximum of light grey while mahogany will go jet black.
>>
>>931094
Theres a chemical you can buy I saw it on youtube wood work channel. Ages any kind of wood legit by wiping it on you get like 50 years..
>>
>>931102
Vinegar and steel wool is an order of magnitude cheaper and just as effective
>>
>>931101
Excellent. Thank you. Any chance you have a picture of yours?

How did you finish it? The lady read using some kind of wax is what's recommended. We bought some Minwax paste wax at Lowes. Its the only wax they had. Think that will work or return it and get something else?
>>
>>931144
Finish it however you want with whatever you want.

All of my furniture is black or white and high gloss so I finished my table with bar top
>>
Use rotting pallet wood and white wash primer, hipster as fuck. Like the furniture.
>>
>>931116
That is the recipe for black stain anon
>>
Best way to have the best grey finishing is simply to gently rub some grey oil (choose the one for flooring), then wipe remaining oil with a dry cloth until smooth and nice surface.
Your wood will be evenly stain and you will still seen the wood grain and knots/small defects
El-did from France
>>
>>931144
Old school finishing is penatrating oil and then paste wax buffed to a shine. wax needs to be cleaned and reapplied every few months because it will pick up grim/wear off. Shellac and varnish protect better.
Also, I guarantee they had much cheaper, exactly the same paste wax in the cleaning supplies aisle. Johnson's paste wax, for floors (many old buildings still regularly wax floors to protect the finish from high traffic).
>>
>>931116
Also, vinegar and steel wool or tea stain or a lot of those types of diy stains work great for certain projects, especially if you go pick wood from lumberyard, but because it's a chemical reaction with the wood rather than a dye, it can end up very inconsistent with pieces of wood that look similar, but are from different trees and have different chemical responses.
This is why no cabinet shops use it (afaik).
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.