[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there anyway I can run a butane stove inside without killing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
File: niemira_15422_1.jpg (322 KB, 1066x1600) Image search: [Google]
niemira_15422_1.jpg
322 KB, 1066x1600
Hello /diy/namos:

I'm looking for a way to cook food when SHTF/Kali Yuga/winter storms take out the electricity. Is there a way I can use a single-burner camper stove indoors or will the monoxide make me an hero?

If I cannot, can you recommend a good SHTF indoor cooking method?

Picture completely unrelated.
>>
used most everything during various disagreements with landlords/utility suppliers, etc. - from single portable camping butane stoves (but dont, complete PITA; takes fucking years, and boiling point is a Zen-Like illusion, just over the horizon, reachable only the next life) to full-on multi-element gas ranges, converted for bottle gas (the big fuckers, 5-25KG). This, I recommend, when maybe not 100-pro legal, needs an adapter/presssure reduction valve/large bottled gas supplier, etc.

Not dead yet either AFAIK, monoxide is over-rated. Wouldn't run a generator indoors tho.
>>
>>930775
Given that altitude figures into cooking ability, where are you at? What's your altitude there?

I'm at 3000 ft, so I don't think a single camp burner is going to affect my ability to boil stuff that much.
>>
File: residential-propane-tank[1].jpg (129 KB, 991x800) Image search: [Google]
residential-propane-tank[1].jpg
129 KB, 991x800
>>930759
You don't have natural gas to the house out where you live? Maybe get a tank installed and fill it up propane? Its easy to find and is easily used in indoor cooking without killing yourself. Can also be used to power a backup generator, water heater, clothes dryer, all that shit. They are common for places out in the sticks in my state. Depending on usage and tank size one tank can last months.
>>
If you have ventilation you should be pretty right.

The main thing with those stoves is make sure the base of the pot does not go over the canister or pic related can happen.
>>
>>930759
I would make cheap ($ 20-30) gas detector, and indicator with various strengths to display and wire it to the main valve and a fire alarm or just alarm.
>>
>>930823
Oh shit, you didnt have electricity, so in that case wire the said alarm to few solar cells and car battery (all this far away from the butane container) and your done.

Also you can alternatively make sort of UPS with wind/solar power and car batteries put togheter in series
>>
Just crack a window, you'll be fine. One stove in a house isn't going to kill you, it's when you start using shit like generators that it becomes a problem.
>>
Multiple people at a time use gas cookers in back country huts much smaller than most rooms, let alone a house, and they're fine. But get a camping stove, not one of those backpacking stoves. The canisters are cheaper and they're a lot faster (at the cost of weight, which is of no concern to you indoors).
>>
Have CO detectors fucking everywhere, just in case.
>>
>>930825
Deep cycle car batts though. Regular ones aren't designed for long term draw. Maybe even a scooter battery would suffice.
>>
>>930825
OP here. Didn't think about solar, that's a good idea anyway if I'm "bugging in."

Even better would be just to stock up on enough batteries for a battery powered carbon monoxide detector and store them next to my butane supply.
>>
>>930820
don't be a pussy, coreans use this inside their house all the time to cook.
>>
>>930809
I would, since this is a pretty good idea, but I live in an apartment for the time being, so I need something discreet and portable in case I bug-out. Butane cans are light, cheap and provide plenty of energy.

Doesn't propane have more of a problem with carbon monoxide anyway?
>>
File: roof_koreans.jpg (30 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
roof_koreans.jpg
30 KB, 500x500
>>930920
Is there anymore based SHTF people than Koreans?

Nope.
>>
File: HPSBAA16.jpg (75 KB, 640x428) Image search: [Google]
HPSBAA16.jpg
75 KB, 640x428
>>930820
>>
>>930820
The pot stand is upside down on this one. Maybe that's why it blew up?
>>
>>930809
>>930775
>>930820
>>930829
Generally, you can give yourself a headache, but you only kill yourself if you fall asleep with it running. so cooking is generally not a problem as the normal breathability of the house will fix it, but propane heaters/generators are what kill people, they fall asleep in the warm. 95% is stupid fall asleep, the other 5% is stupid running a car inside knocked out/bonfire inside/etc.
lots of houses use gas stoves, not an issue. If you're worried, cook w window open.
>>
>>930928
No, it blew up because the pan was too big, reflecting heat into the canister.
>>
>>930778
- fug knows, (was) around 1600ft (had to look that up) - was actually unaware it made that much difference, but, theyre (portable propane camping things) still shit. Invaluable for when your travelling with zero cash tho, now standard bus kit. Still painful, but ;)

>>931049
(indoor) barbecues are a surprisingly popular method of multiple an hero as well - and for those wondering 'wtf' - summer/city flat/balcony/get the barbie out, few beers, grand. Starts raining? - roll the barbie back in, still smouldering, go to bed, wake up dead.

As said tho, portable gas cooking, your (usually) fine. Starting with heating, etc. - ensure ventilation, or, learn the hard way.
>>
>>931049

This.

You only die if you fall asleep. Get good ventilation and if you start getting dizzy shut that shit off right away and go outside for fresh air.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.