[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to genocide kitchen ants?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9
File: 273-24099.gif (55 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
273-24099.gif
55 KB, 320x240
I made my own borax traps, but the little fuckers just laugh at them. I even bought traps from the store which do the exact same shit as borax traps, but that just makes them take a vacation and doesn't eradicate the colony.

I'm on the second floor and I have a cat, so I have no way to find their hive or use anything super toxic. I'm literally throwing my spice rack at them, working my way up the alphabet until I find something they hate.
>>
>>930618

have you tried... wait for it... bug spray?

also clean your kitchen better if you have a source of food they will keep coming back. clean your house good then spray around areas you seen them before... they wont return to that area

also, train your cat to kill ants.
>>
>>930618
About the only way I've been able to keep ants under control is to spray a foam insecticide around the whole perimeter of the house. Front and rear entry doors, too.

>>930654
Pretty much this. Eliminate all sources of food. Clean floors, kitchen counter, everything.
>>
>>930618
Terro works really well. Have never had it not work.
>>
Diatenatious Earth. It's like walking barefoot through a yard of broken glass to anything with an exoskeleton, but nontoxic to animals.
>>
1:1 vinegar and Dawn dish soap has worked for me. Kills some spiders too.
>>
>>930618
Once you have ants bad, you're pretty much stuck with them if you're lazy.
Clean your kitchen/house spotless. No dirty clothes. No anything. The ants will still be scouting. Put your cats food on a table with the legs in bowls of water. Litter box too if possible.
Then gotta leave that shit out they carry to the queen and do not put out any kill on spot poison. (Seven dust or borax or whatever). Kick open any beds you do see outside and sprinkle it in the ruins too.
You want them bitches to get back safe and sound with that shit to their momma.
Eventually the bed(s) will die, but it will take a while.
Then you foam your perimeter and keep your shit clean.
>>
File: terro[1].jpg (116 KB, 600x462) Image search: [Google]
terro[1].jpg
116 KB, 600x462
>>930687
>Terro works really well. Have never had it not work.
This.
Put it near an existing trail and watch the genocide happen in just a few days.
>>
>>930618
>oh look it's this thread for the 39557560823th time
1. Clean up the ants you can see if they're in the way, otherwise leave them alone
2. Get bait that's intended for the ants to take back to the nest with them
3. Put the bait out right in their path
4. Come back the next day, ants are all gone, problem solved
It's as easy as that. Never fails. Forget all the other shit-tier advice you'll get, this is what works 100% of the time.
/thread
/thread
/thread
/thread
/thread
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 250x381) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 250x381
Deltamethrin. It is in several products, just Google it. I use pic related. 1oz or so per gallon of water, spray it with a squirt bottle or pump sprayer for indoors or out.

This stuff kills just about every bug there is, and is safe for pussies and puddin'heads after it is dry.
>>
>>930618
Stop killing them.

You have watch them when they're active. They will make a trail. The trails run between home and food. Track them back to their home and seal it. DO NOT KILL THE FUCKING ANTS THEY WILL LEAD YOU BACK TO THE NEST. The ones who are caught outside will find alternate routes to the nest. Follow them and seal that entrance too. Keep doing that and the ants will die. If you kill the ants you see, you will never get rid of the problem.
>>
>>931343
After that, wash the walls and countertops with some aggressive cleaner to get rid of the trails.
>>
File: cutmypic-2.png (166 KB, 477x276) Image search: [Google]
cutmypic-2.png
166 KB, 477x276
>>930618
Glue tiny RFID chips to as many ants as you can.
Use some sort of boosted signal finder to find where their nest is
Pour liquid lead down that sucker or any other liquid agent of death and destruction
???? (maybe dig up and sell the anthill metal cast?)
profit.
>>
Anteaters are only approximately $3000

That could work.
>>
>>930618
Ants dont just come into your house for nothing.

I never understood why people actually ADMIT to having an ant problem. They're telling everyone that they keep a disgustingly filthy house.

I would have no hesitation wagering good amounts of money, like my entire 401k valued at $240 thousand that you have never pulled out the stove and fridge and cleaned out underneath them.

Get rid of the food that the ants are coming for and you won't have fucking ants.
>>
>>930716
Paying for borax and karo syrup...
>>
File: 1450348925433.jpg (31 KB, 620x670) Image search: [Google]
1450348925433.jpg
31 KB, 620x670
>>930654
>train your cat to kill ants.
>>
File: 41eQYdPIR3L.jpg (24 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
41eQYdPIR3L.jpg
24 KB, 500x375
the little black ants have huge colonies, you're better off using advion gel bait. kill the colony not just the ones walking around
>>
>>930700
this so much. this will not only kill them, but when they bring their dead back to the colony they spread it there too. Used a powder sprayer in between the linoleum gaps and moulding
>>
>>931687
>advion
>$15

The single best and cheapest ant bait is a home made terro alternative.

The recipe my grandmother has used forever in her garden is:
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 tablespoon borax

Put everything in a small sauce pan and combine over low heat until the borax is completely dissolved.

Whenever I've used it at my dad's I just put it in a small metal cap from a baby food jar in the path of the ants. They'll swarm it and after two days they'll disappear.
>>
>>930618
You need the shit that they carry back to their nests, in kiwiland it's easy to come by, should be in your home depot equivalent
>>
>>930618
Kitchen ants (the little ones) are searching for grease/oil or possibly a sucrose substance. Seal all containers, and clean every possible surface that might have grease on it. If there is nothing for them to take away, they won't hang around.
>>
Borax != boric acid
>>
>>932092
Borax as an ant killer is for idiots who are too afraid of a chemical that is used in vaginal suppositories. Boric acid and sugar are what most of these liquid ant baits are so do that.
>>
Water + dish soap in a spray bottle
>>
If your traps aren't working it's because they have another food source. You have to clean up thoroughly to remove their sources of food.

After that they will still come inside because they have scent trails laid down and will follow them even if they can't find anything to eat. So you give them something to eat: borax traps. Put them down in the evening, ants are most active in their foraging at night. Because Borax is a slow acting poison it will take a couple days to fully wipe them out. They take some of the bait back to the colony and it gradually kills off the whole nest.

The next step is prevention. I use white vinegar. It wipes out scent trails and puts up a powerful odor barrier that ants can't stand. Vinegar is in general a pretty good natural alternative to bleach so there's no issues using it to scrub counters, floors, or pouring it down the drain to help kill food odors there.

Also: if you can try to see how they get in and then buy some indoor/outdoor long-lasting Raid spray to put down a barrier around windows and doors or wherever you see them getting in.
>>
Just spring for the poison they bring back to the nest. It works.

I run a student dorm, the kitchens are disgusting and the building old and cracked, but I can keep it ant free with the proper poison.
>>
File: Terro.jpg (68 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Terro.jpg
68 KB, 640x480
>>930687
>>930716
3rd this. Shit works great.

>>931485
it's like $3
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-18-16-55-33.png (1022 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-18-16-55-33.png
1022 KB, 1080x1920
>>932097
Terro2 ant bait uses borax at 5.4% concentration, not boric acid. Many highly successful baits use borax while many others use boric acid.

A study of .5% and 1% solutions of three types of sweet boron insecticides were all equally effective at killing ants. The time to death for 50% of the and study population was on average 1.2 and 2.3 days for the 1% and 0.5% boron concentrations respectively across all three compounds.
>pic related

Got any studies to the contrary?
>>
>>932236
>it's like $3
Sorry. I forgot im talking to a bunch of neets who never do their own laundry and only eat frozen dinners.

>go out and make a special trip to buy 1 ounce of sugar water and borax for $3 from walmart
>dont be a neet and mix the stuff from your laundry cabinet and pantry and get 16 ounces for pennies
>>
>>932245
>the stuff from your laundry cabinet and pantry
I'm sorry, my laundry cabinet doesn't have borax in it, because it's under my sink and not on the far side of a time-warp leading to 1928.
>>
>>932247
Ill give you a wooden nickle to shut up and get off of my lawn.
>>
>eliminate all sources of food
>in a kitchen

If commies are coming why don't we just remove freedom?
>>
>>932498
"source of food [for ants]" is not the same thing as "food".

Store your goddamn food properly. Have some pride in your work. You're not a cowboy.
>>
>>930654
>rain your cat to kill ants.
/thread
>>
>>932501
>You're not a cowboy.
You don't know me.
>>
Pour liquid aluminum into the colony, wait 30 minutes, dig it up, rinse the water out with a garden hose, display on the coffee table.
>>
File: lol3.gif (484 KB, 499x375) Image search: [Google]
lol3.gif
484 KB, 499x375
>>932247
>>
>>930700

>Diatenatious Earth

The final solution to your ant problems.
>>
>>930654
I have a dog that eats wasps and bees.
Kid you not, that fucker will pluck them out of the air and chomp them.
>>
>>932634
>rinse the water out
>with more water
>>
>>933651
Too bad it doesnt kill the colony, the next generation will be marching in any day now
>>
>>930618

Mash them manually

One by one

Smear their corpses around all the places where you can see they come from. They release pheromones when in danger, and when the scents tell them DEATH DEATH DEATH, they will avoid the area

Oh, and consider changing the location of your cat's food bowl, especially if you use wet food

And make sure to keep your cabinets closed and don't leave strong-smelling foods around where they can get to it.

Another option is to buy a tube of silikone, and simply seal every single crack you can find. My grandma once did this when her kitchen was litterally invaded by a swarm of ants. It worked.
>>
Spray bottle full of dish soap+water kills ants on contact
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.