[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ghetto mic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (161 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161 KB, 960x960
I have some 1/4 mono cable and I'm wondering if pulling off the end and taping the open cables and taping them to a square of sheet metal would give me a sort of contact mic? How delusional am I? Would it work?

pic unrelated
>>
Oh shit.

They used CJ's old house as an album cover?

I've only listened to one of their albums, but if that shit is real, I have work to do.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 319x319
>>930226
>>
bump4help
>>
that won't work
>>
the short answer is no. the longer answer is that vibrating (striking) any kind of metal, including just the wires themselves, will generate a signal. you can get a few micro-volts with a sharp hit with a chopstick, and some nano-volts from speaking into it. so, if you have an amp that can amplify that without too much noise, you're good to go.
>>
>>930306
cool, thank you
>>
>>930225
The way that a contact mic actually works is to apply pressure to a crystal. I fail to see how vibrating a sheet of metal would actually produce voltage, even in the nano volt range. There just isn't a difference of potential there. Or do you think that having different areas of the sheet metal will somehow produce an effect because of its proximity in the earth's gravitational feild? Please explain.
>>
>>930323
I don't fucking know man, just trying to get some crazy noises
>>
>>930323
Metal is crystals
>>
> I fail to see how vibrating a sheet of metal would actually produce voltage

sure, it's not obvious, but i've seen it in action when testing some very high gain amps, and it has a name, and a wikipedia page, only i dont remember what it's called.
>>
I taught an audio lab during grad school. One of the labs was to make a capacitive mic using a metal plate and a few sheets of mylar. It didn't work very well.

I don't think you're gonna get much out of a plate by itself. Static zaps maybe.
>>
>>930225
Try mixing different materials if you want the vibrations to generate voltage.

Also I highly recommend using an amplifier, you can pick up a pack of 5 3w+3w amps off eBay for aud 2.50 last I checked.
>>
>>930333
Sort of true but irrelevant. Most metals are polycrystalline. You can only make a pressure sensitive crystal mic out of a "single" crystal or "perfect" crystal. You never made it through 8th grade science, eh?

I like the idea of making a capacitive mic out of a metal sheet though. Just fix one large metal plate in place, cover it with plastic wrap, connect one of your wires to it, then connect your other wire to a separate metal plate that is close to the first one, solder your second wire to it, then strike it with a hammer.

Of course, you would need a preamp that is *extremely* low noise with a gain or, maybe, 100,000X.
>>
>>930306
>vibrating (striking) any kind of metal, including just the wires themselves, will generate a signal
yes, in a magnetic field, a strong one, preferably. Which OP does not have.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.