[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey DIY, Where can I buy semi-thick metal foil? I need a small,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
Hey DIY, Where can I buy semi-thick metal foil? I need a small, thin sheet of metal for a project. It needs to be thin enough that I can write on it with a nail, but thick enough that it doesn't get pierced in the process. Any idea what a good thickness would be, or where I could buy some?

Pic related is what I'm planning on making for an Art Gened, a Roman Curse tablet
>>
Buy sheet metal, not foil.
>>
>>929788
How large do you need it to be? I've made such thinks out of 'tall' aluminum cans. You can cut them with household scissors easily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RORcVe7xd50
>>
>>929798
That actually may work. I'm not certain about the dimensions, but I don't think it could be much larger
>>
'shim stock'

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=854&PARTPG=INLMK3&PMITEM=406-0080

there's also stainless steel sheet tool wrap

wait for free shipping & 20% off
>>
>>929788
maybe hvac ducting?
>>
You are looking for aluminum flashing.
>>
>>929927
this.

Get it from a hardware store. It's used for roofing.
>>
>>929801
Oil can of Milwaukee's best or fosters, like a 32oz can
>>
>>929788
Closest to what's pictured would be lead flashing.
Comes in rolls from the building supply store.
>>
>>930159
Also would be authentic material for the times.
>>
>>930159
>>930179
what would I need to do to safely handle lead? gloves and mask? I see the appeal but it seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.
>>
>>929927
>>929929

I was going to say this. It's dirt cheap. Like $0.35 for a piece, here.
>>
>>930258
Just a dusk mask tops. That would keep you from inhaling a flake that you chisel off or something. I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
File: are you a fucking muppet.jpg (55 KB, 460x767) Image search: [Google]
are you a fucking muppet.jpg
55 KB, 460x767
>>930258
>what would I need to do to safely handle lead? gloves and mask? I see the appeal but it seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth.

Are you over 18, preferably over 21?
Yes?

then dont eat it. Dont lick it. try not to rub it all over yourself like some fucking weirdo. Do not throw it into a furnace and breathe in deeply. Do not melt it and pour it over your head. Avoid using it as a trepanning tool to bore a hole in your skull...

wash your hands afterwards.

Its not fucking uranium, it isn't cyanide. its lead. its insoluble, and inert unless molten. you're using a sheet of metal, not forging it in the fires of Barad-Dur. its not fucking dangerous unless you're a child and have a habit of eating it.

FFS. The way you lot make out, its the most deadly thing on the planet. Its not. I grew up using lead and I'm perfectly FINE. Pic related.
>>
>>930721
Funny, I was going to suggest get some lead (wheel weights, fishing sinkers, cast 38 wadcutters from a buddy, whatever), a crappy cast iron skillet, put lead in skillet, put skillet over a fire in the back yard. Once it melts let it cool, cut into desired shape. Of course, that would entail melting it...

McMaster Carr sells lead sheet, too. Not the cheapest thing, but lots of choices in thickness and size. Personally, I'd shoot for 1/16" stuff and see what happens, but I'm cheap.
>>
>>930721
While you are mostly correct.

There are applications where lead sheet etc can be toxic in particular exposure to water. For example a roof tile where the rain water is gathered and later used as a potable source.

If you have had a prior exposure (lead poisoning) you should wear gloves.
>>
>>932053
Carpenter here.
Judging from your image, the authentic material would be lead sheet, or what we call flashing. Don't worry about handling it, just keep your hand out of your mouth while you're making it.
>>
use a metal cooking pan thing

it's aluminium but it's thick enough to hold up my forge when I put it in it
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.