[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are smelting coins allowed?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 1451723435282.jpg (18 KB, 257x250) Image search: [Google]
1451723435282.jpg
18 KB, 257x250
I live in the Philippines, and there are pennies, which same as always, useless to me and to people. Can I melt it with a pot and make a bar of metal compound, and sell it big in the market?
>>
>>929494
I don't know about Philippines, but governments generally dislike the idea of people melting coins and selling them as raw metal.
You might also find that people aren't willing to pay the full price of your mystery metal bars.
>>
>>929496
At my chemistry class, I learned that reacting mint pennies with chemicals are fine but melting it directly can offend the law.
But if that so, then there is no other choice for me. i'll just throw it all on the highway and make homeless kids run and pick the coins.
Entertainment can be hilarious.
>>
>>929494
Depends, most cases it is illegal. However some rare exceptions have been made through legal battles often under freedom of speech and artistic expression. This is why smashed pennies are allowed under the law, while other things are still debated.

I say just get your metal some other way.

Aluminum cans are easy enough to get and melt down. The plastic lining burns off (I don't suggest breathing the vapors) and other contaminates typically float or in some cases sink so you can get decent metal grades for basic builds if you skim them off, or not.

This video covers it better then most of the ones I have seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSoWxG30rb0
>>
>>929494
No. I know in the US melting pennies was made illegal specifically because pennies are now cheaper than the zinc making them up. like 1.8 cent's worth of zinc?
anyway, A) metal fume fever can very well kill you,
B) you will lose a lot to slag and oxidation,
C) no one buys bar stock from a guy on the street because you have no idea of the alloy properties.

So if you're going to do this, do some sort of artistic casting.

>>929555 Is right, aluminum cans are cheaper for the weight, and the vapors are less dangerous.
>>
>>929494
make a statue of yourself it's fun
>>
File: 1452445323488.jpg (144 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1452445323488.jpg
144 KB, 550x550
Okay I made my choice. I'm going out at midnight and toss my entire coins in the highway. I'm gonna do it!
Too bad they're too goddamn useless, even reused. I'm sticking to melting aluminum cans if I own a workshop.
Wish me luck on not getting caught.
>>
>>929852
Good luck, asshole.
>>
Enjoy zinc flu
>>
>>929494
Aside from illegal, they're not even made of copper, it's only copped-clad, so if you melt them what you'll get is some useless alloy that's probably worth nothing. Save your pennies and find a Coinstar machine and cash them in if they annoy you.
>>
>>929877
The zinc inside melts way before the copper and spills out, its very neat. I've melted pennies in bunsen burners for fun. The copper softens a bit and the zinc melts and bubbles so the penny goes floppy and wrinkly. Eventually the copper cladding ruptures and out pours most of the zinc which almost instantly cools down.
>>
>>929852

Glue them to the road with a strong epoxy and watch as homeless people break their nails to pick them up.
>>
>>929498
>entertainment can be hilarious
Thanks you brazil
>>
Melt them into a dragon dildo to fill the void in your anal cavity
>>
File: 1503216090.jpg (265 KB, 1066x1600) Image search: [Google]
1503216090.jpg
265 KB, 1066x1600
>>930105
Finally, someone with sense!
>>
>>929496
Idk why but I fucking lost it to "mystery metal bars" just the thought of some poor sap trying to sell bar stock of dubious origin on some street corner made my day
>>
>>929498
>offend the law
Is it OK if I apologize to the law immediately afterwards?
>>
>>932506
After you suck a few dicks over the precinct.
>>
>>929494
Protip, if the metal a coin was made of was worth significantly more than the coin itself, it would probably not be made in the first place.
>>
>>929494
>legalities
Who cares. Unless federal agents catch you red handed in the act, metal is metal and coins are coins. No cop is going to waste time on shit like this if they don't have to.

>practicalities
Depends. Most pennies these days are worth more as raw materials than face value. But you need to keep in mind the extra costs, like fuels and the value of your own work. Also, if the pennies you are using are not pure(like copper electroplated zinc), the final value of your ingots might end up being 1:1 trade off for the face value of the coins
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.