[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I tried the general woodworking thread. Waited a week and go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: 10184579_28_919_1382.jpg (46 KB, 460x691) Image search: [Google]
10184579_28_919_1382.jpg
46 KB, 460x691
I tried the general woodworking thread. Waited a week and got no reply on my post. So....

I am planning on building a simple bed frame for a queen size. Using 2x8 and 4x4 for most of it. Gonna use lag bolt for connecting most everything (not in a long term living situation). I have always had my bed on rails and I am tired of it.

I need suggestions or tips. Anything you guys can think of. Gonna be low to the ground so it is more sturdy. Headboard is gonna come up about a foot over the matress. Gonna use slats instead of my box spring. Also, would like to avoid any staining/painting/covering in general. I am going to sand it down extremely smooth and that is all I plan for a finish.

Loosely basing it off this

http://www.instructables.com/id/2-x-8-Bed/
>>
There is no question in your post?

Do you wish for us to wish you good luck?
>>
File: IMG_20160113_180632.jpg (2 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160113_180632.jpg
2 MB, 4208x3120
Looks ugly as fuck and unimaginative. I just finished this. Queen bed. Its 130cm off the ground so i can comfortably fap in a lazy boy under my bed. Just put on a thin coat of shellac to seal the grain because i am lazy.
>>
>>929387
Buy low, sell high is the best tip I can give; though hot's on the left, cold's on the right is a close second.

Seriously, if you don't finish it with something (paint, varnish, lacquer, spray on polyurethane, whatever) it'll look like shit faster than you'd think.

Oh! And good luck!
>>
>>929420
Not that guy but to add to why finishing it is important is basically splinters. Over time the timber will expand and contract, lifting the grain. You will get splinters. I recomend an easy to work with industrial finish like cabothane. Shellac is even cheaper. It just takes a long time to apply. Think 30 coats. Also, untreated pine is cheap as fuck where i live compared to treated. It looks like that guy in the picture used garden sleepers theyre so dark. F7 treated or some shit. Difficult to work with as irs usually stored outside and warped because its more for making retaining walls than anything.
>>
>>929419
i guess ill be the anon to ask, why fap under the bed, when you could just as easily fap in the bed?
>>
>>929419

Looks ugly and won't function as a bed frame either. Looks like you used 1x2s for everything, there is a reason bed frames are beefy as fuck 2x8 or 2x10s. It also looks like you hogged out a dado into your flimsy uprights on the left side, wth?
>>
>>929629
Swedish cuck. He isn't allowed in bed while his wife or Tyrone are home
>>
>>929387
Mathias had a video on building a bed frame.
>>
>>929387

holy shit thats a cool way to put legs on a table... only problem I see is you can never move it if you want to rearrange the room
>>
>>929387
Don't use 4x4s, glue 2 2x4s together. It'll be sturdier and have less movement than a 4x4, which are notorious for cupping, warping, twisting, etc.

Use carriage bolts instead of lag screws if you plan on taking it apart multiple times.

Don't leave it unfinished, brush some polyurethane or something on it. If you're not worried about appearance don't even bother sanding it smooth after, but it'll help the bed last longer, and if you live in humid climates it'll help keep the wood from swelling.

Get a rafter square to square the corners, nothing like putting all the effort into making it only to realize your frame looks like a rhombus and the bed won't fit in on one side but the gap is too wide on the other.

If money is an issue my suggestions add less than $20 to the bill, but it'll be more solid so you don't have to build a new one sooner.
>>
>>929631
why wont it function as a bed frame? its stable, if i push one side, the whole bed slides together, legs dont bow or flex at the joints. I've jumped on it, done pullups, and it doesnt sway, creak, tip or bow.

wood is stronk but confusing to the layman. its all to do with the orientation of the grain and arranging systems such that compression and tension are managed effectively.

dado? no that's a shitty half lap. the things on the floor were me experimenting with kerfed braces. it's so that weight rests directly on top of the leg. a single 70x35mm plank would have worked. I just glued two together to enhance rigidity by forcing them to be permanently under tension from each other. the only part for concern is those beams running 2m without supports but they're braced by a 40x4mm steel angle which also holds the slats. it is a bit ugly though. but its just because my tools are limited and I wanted it to break down to fit in a car.
>>929629
I can mount my wide screen television under the bed and computer ect. also a swing. just a way to add more functional space to my room.
>>
>>929419
>130 cm
>cm
I'm starting to believe everyone on this board is incompetent, instead of my original belief that it was only mostly everyone
>>
>>930054
you'd prefer 1300mm?
its high enough that I can fuck on it and high enough to sit on a chair under it.
why would I need to stand under my bed?
>>
File: IMG_20160117_143338.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4208) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160117_143338.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4208
Just wanted to let you guys know how im going.
>>
>>931200
Thats just depressing to look at, anon.
>>
>>931200
damn, that's kinda sad
>>
>>931200

nice wanking bench! hang up a monitor and add a tp-roll
>>
>>931200
You verified my original assumptions, incompetent
>>
>>931200
JESUS
>>
>>931200
I like it
>>
>>931406
Found the NEET
>>
>>931342
I'm waiting on a vesa mount for the TV. not sure if I should rig up a zero-G chair under it for maximum anime appreciation experience or reupholster a majorly fucked up 30yo lazyboy I have lying the shed.

>>931390
the heavy duty shelf brackets are sound. needs more slats and a queen mattress. the double futon is just what I was sleeping on the ground. it doesnt creek or sway when I fap on the bed unlike pretty much every other bed I have ever had. so I'd say its a better frame than anything I've ever known.
>>
Its ugly but functional as fuck, i like it
>>
>>929809

measuring both diagonals can help the rafter square with the corners
>>
>>929419
what the hell kind of a shithole do you work in?

you make my shithole look like much less of a shithole
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.