[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /diy/, today i have a very specific demand. i'm trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: Handkerchief.jpg (428 KB, 671x606) Image search: [Google]
Handkerchief.jpg
428 KB, 671x606
hey /diy/,

today i have a very specific demand.

i'm trying to determine if it would be possible to dye or paint a piece of fabric so that it would be opaque under normal light, but would be transparent (not fully transparent, but enough to reveal what's behind it) under harder lighting condition - such as a ray of sunlight hitting it directly.

i have a few ideas to start with - acquiring a very thin piece of fabric, painting it with a mix of transparent oil paint and painting medium to dilute it, but i'm not sure if that would work.

any ideas or leads are welcome.
>>
Scrim fabrics are lightweight, woven cotton and effectively see-through when they're lit from an oblique angle, but appear solid when lit from the front. OR do you only want to use that fabric?
>>
>>929111
im not set on a particular fabric, i just need one that would retain a certain transparency once coated with a very thin layer of oil paint.
>>
http://www.chicagocanvas.com/shop/theater-fabrics/scrim/

Try this fabric. Used it in the theatre years ago.
>>
>>929120
i'm not in the us, i tried finding an equivalent in france but it does not exist here.

i envy you so much, you have access to a lot more materials in the us. not only fabric but pretty much anything else is easier to find, and you have a way wider choice.

anyway, does anyone have another idea? is this thing even doable at all?
>>
>>929577
Try looking on Chinese supply sites like Alibaba or aliexpress they have a huge supply and most of the stuff in the US came from there anyway
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.