[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RC GENERAL what do you think of this? It's 3D with nit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
RC GENERAL

what do you think of this?
It's 3D with nitro engine.
http://www.rc711.com/shop/compass-knight-3dplus-flybarless-carbon-kit-p-3802.html
>>
In this day in age why would you even want a single rotor. They are garbage.
>>
>>929006
I thought it would be more fun to drive since you're more at the mercy of physics

6 rotor = Need For Speed
1 rotor = Gran Turismo
>>
>>929014
>heicopter
>drive
I think you have 0 experience flying and will crash it instantly
>>
>>929022
I'm good at vidya like microsoft flight simulator though
>>
>>929006
Do you have a better alternative?
>>
>>929006
They're not garbage at all they're way more efficient than a quadrotor so they have better range and payload capacity just at the expense of maneuverability
>>
>>928958
I use Phoenix RC software to practice.

It came with a USB adapter to plug in the controller's training port. It simulates many different models. Definitely better to practice without destruction.

Start with something like a Blade 130x.. I've crashed that and it's either survived or was relatively cheap for parts.

Good luck.
>>
>>929080
I played Leo's rc Sim on my phone whenever I had a spare minute, and never touched that pc Sim stuff. I think it worked. Look into pica Sim On phone.
>>
>>929006
Multicopters are for small children and le photographers only.
>>
File: IMG_20160108_235237.jpg (2 MB, 4208x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160108_235237.jpg
2 MB, 4208x3120
>>929022
Toys is srs bsns guise!

Posting my toy.
>>
>>929006
Lol what
>>929079
>at the expense of maneuverability
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVwlnw_zMJk
>>929128
PicaSim is amazing, way better flight mechanics than Phoenix IMO. I still think RealFlight (from G3 onwards) has the best flight mechanics overall, but for the cost (i.e. free) PicaSim is pretty hard to beat.
>>
File: s-l1600_Fotor_Collage.jpg (208 KB, 799x1066) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600_Fotor_Collage.jpg
208 KB, 799x1066
>tfw got an RC helicopter for my 14th birthday
>no idea what I was doing
>I had to assemble the whole thing myself
>installed all the servos, control arms, gyro, batteries, etc
>programmed the remote
>this was before the internet, i had nothing but the book
>literally went from following lego instuctions to assembling a machine and programming a complex RC remote
>couldn't find anybody to tell me if I did it right
>nobody to help me start it
>nobody to teach me how to fly it
>never got it started
>never flew
>$800 in the trash
:[
>>
i don't understand why you need one of these obscure simulation programs when you could just use a mainstream video game with decent physics
>>
File: 76b_1.jpg (178 KB, 555x1291) Image search: [Google]
76b_1.jpg
178 KB, 555x1291
this took all the fun out of flying these kind of things.
>>
>>928958
Avoid glow engines like the plague these days. I'm an RC enthusiast since '93, so I know a thing or two. Breaking in, tuning, and maintaining a glow engine is a science on it's own. I'ts a hobby inside the hobby. It is really complicated, and inside a helicopter where you can't reach it at full throttle even more so than in an ordinary winged plane. Not possible to do a quick test if it spins in the appartment. Not possible to take off for a short adjustment in your back yard without annoying neighbors. Generally annoying people in parks, where electric models would be much less of a problem. Forget taking a quick flight after work to relax. Until you have fired up the engine and everything, it's dark outside and you are more stressed out than before.
Electric is the way to go. It is also easier to get help online, as electrics are usually fixed setups, no major tuning after installing required. Try tuning a glow engine over the internet.
Go electric, if at all. Glow does not cut it any more. I would fly glow if my RC airfield allowed that, but only because I'm an engineering technician and I like the challenge. My electrics are so smooth and reliable 100% of the time it's almost boring. Just what you need as a beginner.
>>
post goat videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5FqYiZb_5s
>>
File: 20160113_224918.jpg (728 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20160113_224918.jpg
728 KB, 2048x1152
I still have a broken blade nanotechnology cpx. Sold the dx6i? Broke the swash plate first day out. Bought a cnc one. Then could never figure out if it was still broke or the insanely complicated controller needed to be fucked with more.I really had a lot of fun with the fixed pitch and wish I would have given my self a better chance with the collective. First flight was in an apartment bedroom...
>>
>>929837
Make sure there's no play in the pitch links. If there are, buy an extra set of those little rubber body grommets and slide them over the balls to eliminate the play.

I never had the issue with my nCP X but it definitely helped on my MCP X.
>>
>>929338
Single rotor helis can do some serious damage if they hit something.
>>
>>929528
But I've come to realize that I only enjoy flying EXTREMELY fast helicopters. Wouldn't there be a limitation to the size of motor you can get if you went with electrical?
>>
File: output.webm (3 MB, 1552x914) Image search: [Google]
output.webm
3 MB, 1552x914
OP here. coincidentally the simualtor 'Phoenix RC' has the exact same helicopter. Here's a webm i made of me flying it.
Is it possible to get electric helicopters to go this fast?
>>
>>929940
They can be unbelievably fast and nimble.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5FqYiZb_5s
I wouldn't say it's out of the question at all.
>>
>>929940
Electric has more power, but nitro has the runtime
>>
>>930203
so would nitro be good for long autopilot missions?
>>
>>930174
kek at the CGI conversation at the bottom of the comments
>>
>>929849
Thanks friendo. This thread is getting my excited to fly again :) gonna get the fixed pitch out tomorrow.
>>
File: rcglider.jpg (16 KB, 500x325) Image search: [Google]
rcglider.jpg
16 KB, 500x325
>>930241
What if you buy an RC glider, strap some solar panels on top of it to charge the battery for the motor, then connect the flight control board to an old smartphone which can also be charged by the solar panels and that old smartphone is using some sort of global gps internet so it can be controlled from all around the world if its within satalite range

would you be able to fly around the planet if you stay in the light and above the clouds?
>>
>>931262
>phone for GPS.
I think you have no idea about the technology in the hobby. Go look up rctestflight on yt, he has a decent solar plane.
>>
>>931273
what would you use to control it globally then? if not a phone
>>
>>931276
I would make it navigate a course using GPS + waypoints.

Arduino Board to control the servos/motors
uBlox connected to arduino for GPS
GSM Shield for cell towers
Solar panels (obviously?)

And you can install Ardupilot for free (open source)

Everything is easy except the solar part. Not impossible just hard
>>
>>931280
>how to make an rc plane that
>by not making it rc

ok man...
>>
>>931281
ok it is more of a drone but whatever. the GSM shield was to change parameters so it is in a way "controlling" it
>>
>>931286
yeah but with RC people usually mean having a remote that can pitch yaw roll and accelerate and decelerate
>>
>>931287
learning to run before learning to walk.. doing it with just waypoints across some 500 km/mile stretch without power down and ill be impressed, screw the full control. but i get your point.
>>
>>931262
>>931287
The latency associated with any such indirect control scheme would make it very difficult indeed to control the plane directly.... one way or another you're probably going to want an autopilot (even if it's a simple wing-leveler type) to do the intensive stuff for you under the circumstances.

There's a reason why Predator drones always fly with autopilot assist until they're handed off to the line-of-sight pilot at the airbase for landing...

Oh, and one more thing:
>Legality of NLOS flight varies with locale, check your local laws blah blah blah
>>
>>931298
NLOS law which no one remotely cares about lol but the latency is a huge problem with what he wants to do.
>>
>>928958
120deg ccpm metal swash is good. Does it come with an engine, tho? I can't see any engine specs.
If not, stick an O.S. engine on there, and you should be good.

>>929006
Multirotors are for numpties who can't fly manually.
>>
>>928958
it looks pretty 2d to me
>>
Hey /rc/

I'm looking for a good sub 450 sized combination pitch heli to learn on. I have experience with fixed pitch, and own an Axe CPv3, but learning to fly on it is hell because the parts are so hard to find now.

Any suggestions?
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.