[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/diy/ clothing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 6183wgXfS5L._SL1500_[1].jpg (98 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
6183wgXfS5L._SL1500_[1].jpg
98 KB, 1500x1500
Anyone make their own clothing here?

I was wondering how much of an investment, time-wise, it would be to pick it up as a skill. I buy clothing quire rarely - part of the reason being that reasonably priced stuff either a) fits terribly, b) falls apart in under a year, or c) both.

I'm not really at the income bracket where I can afford to pay a tailor for practically every piece of clothing I own, so I figure this could be a happy middle. Obviously I'm not going to be making my own suits right out the gate (though that's definitely a long-term goal) but what about simple trousers and the like?
>>
>>928941
It's a lot of work. If you can get a second hand sewing machine cheaply, you can begin by buying oversized things from goodwill and taking them apart, and getting them to fit you.
>>
>>928946
It's a lot of practice that is needed.

Buy thrift or factory outlet and learn to alter clothing to fit you well. Start with thrift, practice altering t-shirts (should be under $1 at any thrift store) to fit your torso. Then move up to pants. It helps if you are relatively thinner than normal, as it's very easy to take in, while harder to let out. Then move up to altering sport coats, as long as the shoulder fit is good, altering is simple. Suits are the final stage, again work on cheap ones before moving up in price.

Another way to practice is patching high wear items, like socks and underwear.

Do this until the opportunity cost of doing this outweighs the substantial costs savings. Or just keep on doing it as a hobby.
>>
>>928941
the cutties on >>>/cgl/ might be more helpfull than us /diy/nossaurs
>>
>>928946
>>928971
Thanks for the advice!
>>928979
I've never really been there, I guess I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>928941
>I was wondering how much of an investment, time-wise, it would be to pick it up as a skill.
Depends really. For stuff like repairing clothes, sewing simple stuff like pillowcases, bags, etc - not a whole lot. If you find a good, old second hand machine, it's definitely a good investment.

For well fitting, complicated garments - A shitload of time, knowledge and patience.

In general, if you start doing repairs and simple things, you'll have a good time and learn a lot about doing more complicated things. Pants are pretty complicated.

Another point to consider is how cheap you can get fabrics, and help. I have a textile store in my city that buys remaining stocks and sells them dirt cheap, and there's an open sewing workshop you can go to and use their sewing machines, ask for advice, attend workshops and so on.

You might have to buy fabrics over the internet and rely on youtube videos, which might make the whole thing more expensive and difficult.
>>
>>928979
/cgl/ isn't really helpful in my experience. They're all the types who just cosplay hoping to get popular and shit on other cosplayers
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.