[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm trying to replace the kitchen sink for the wife. Sure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /diy/ - Do It yourself

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: IMG_1205.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1205.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
I'm trying to replace the kitchen sink for the wife. Sure I could go hire someone to do this, but I've been reading all about it, watching YouTube, etc. I can't even get any of these loose to remove the old faucet. What tools do I need? I've tried with my hand, wrench, and just leverage with random tools, but nothing. And I'm guessing it's an old design, cause I haven't seen these on any video, and even the lines are copper (I've read that copper is old school these days).
>>
Leave the faucet and remove it after you remove the sink, if you need it. Disconnect the drains and water supply lines. Use 2 wrenches on those copper lines. One on each side of the connection, hold one and spin the other one. Remember! Righty tighty, lefty loosey!
>>
>>928627

Hah, I never thought to remove the entire sink, and then remove the faucet. That sounds far more fun than trying to fit under the sink, in the dark, yelling profanities. Let me double-check, and see what removing the sink would entail...
>>
Then remove those clips holding the sink to the counter (upper left in pic). Then use a thin putty knife or razor blade around the edge of the sink where it sits on your counter top, there is probably putty or silicone around that edge. Then use the faucet to help lift the sink away from the counter.
>>
>>928630

Wouldn't it be easier to purchase a basin wrench?
>>
>>928643
If removing just the faucet and leaving the sink, yes. Otherwise, No. I should have said remove the water supply line at the shutoff and forget about doing it where that copper/brass connection is in the pic.
>>
File: IMG_20160111_180852.jpg (1 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_180852.jpg
1 MB, 2448x3264
>>928627
This. Some mechanics will actually lower the engine out of a car to change the water pump rather than have to fight it at an angle. Also, if your local allows it, replace the copper pipe run to the faucet itself with flexible hose. Makes future removal and install a breeze.

Pic related, I seriously swapped this faucet in 10 minutes
>>
>>928719
Depending on the car, removing the engine can be an absolute necessity.

http://www.fiatcoupe.net/howto.php?ID=1
>>
>>928726
Absolutely, on the mid 2000s Ford focuses you have rotate the engine forward to change the alternator, which is common to go bad at under 100k
>>
File: DIY_SINK_2.jpg (3 MB, 4032x9072) Image search: [Google]
DIY_SINK_2.jpg
3 MB, 4032x9072
OP here, I'm so proud of myself! I did it! Uninstalling the faucet took at least 2-3 hours, installing the new one took maybe 10 minutes, including reading the manual. Here is proof! :) - It was rusted so much, had to use a lot of W340, and swearing to get off.

Now my next project is to replace both those shut-off valves, because they require pliers to turn, are different sizes, and I've read that ball valves are far superior (plus I want everything under the sink to be new). It shouldn't be difficult, right? Just screw it off, and put the new ones on? And if I can replace that copper wire coming from the dishwasher with a more flexible line, I'll be 100% done (no idea how to do that either).
>>
>>929672
Good job op, you're one of the few guys here I see succeeds in these threads. Ball valves are nice because they're less prone to leakage, easier to turn on and off(they have the nick name quick valves), and gate valves tend to develop leaks after not being used for years(like a shut off valve) and then being turned. You should be able to find a drop in replacement for this operation locally, if not you'll have plenty of adapters to choose from.
As for the dishwasher, do you mean the supply line or the sewer line? If you can access the back of the dishwasher it should be easy. Post pics of both ends of the pipe.
>>
>>929672
GJ man.
And yea, it's pretty easy to replace them. And you're doing a nice improvement too.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.